What's new

Thinking About a New Balm

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use Thayer's unscented WH followed by balm for my dry skin. I've been using Clinique Moisturizer and like it quite a bit, but wondered if there others I would like as well.

I recently finish a bottle of Castle Forbes Lime. Two issues:
1. Great scent, but I don't want to be limited in my cologne choice by my balm.
2. While it was nice to only use 2-3 drops (bottle lasted forever), it was very difficult to use a small enough quantity that my face didn't feel kind of greasy most of the day (would even get on cell phone).

So I would very much prefer unscented - or at least very mild scented - moisturizing balm choices. I don't really care about price as I find the more it cost the longer it lasts.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Try Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor's Luxury Aftershave Balm. The scent is quite mild, and I only use a small drop of the stuff about the size of those little candies buttons that are stuck on a roll of paper. It's not cheap but then you don't use much so it works out to be reasonable. Not cheap but no insanely expensive. I've tried Proraso and Nivea Men Sensitive Skin balms and I find both to be too greasy. Just my two cents.

So, not quite an answer t oyour question.... but maybe try an AS splash that has the right moistruizer in it? For example, I find that Proraso Red leaves my face very well moisturized - just like a blam would, but without the greasy after feel. Lots of splashes have ingredients that may have the same effect... if you're after a moisturizing post treatment, maybe not limit yourself to balms?

I use Thayer's unscented WH followed by balm for my dry skin. I've been using Clinique Moisturizer and like it quite a bit, but wondered if there others I would like as well.

I recently finish a bottle of Castle Forbes Lime. Two issues:
1. Great scent, but I don't want to be limited in my cologne choice by my balm.
2. While it was nice to only use 2-3 drops (bottle lasted forever), it was very difficult to use a small enough quantity that my face didn't feel kind of greasy most of the day (would even get on cell phone).

So I would very much prefer unscented - or at least very mild scented - moisturizing balm choices. I don't really care about price as I find the more it cost the longer it lasts.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Have you considered making your own?

I mix alcohol with 5% glycerine to make my own splash as I don't use scented products.
For a balm you could add 2-3% jojoba oil in addition. A drop or two of essential oil or frag if you want a scent.

Those are the typical proportions in a balm, but balms are artificially thickened, usually with carbopol & TEA.

I have been very pleased with the balms from Stirling Soap. They have a large variety of scents and I get an awful lot of applications out of one bottle. A little goes a long way.

proxy.php

I use this after every shave, post aftershave splash. They have AM and PM. The PM simply doesn’t have sunscreen. The Walmart Equate brand is nearly as good at half the price, ~$6 and lasts 2-3 months.

It has no scent and isn’t greasy or heavy feeling. This way you won’t have interference from your splashes or cologne.

Another great choice is:
proxy.php

Again scentless, very light and non greasy.

Depends what you mean by kind of greasy... That could mean nicely moisturized or it could mean shiny. I'm fine if it is the first one.

All that said, my usual recommendation is Speick. I think you would find most of my other favorites to be greasy. Stirling has great ingredients and an unscented version, but I've never tried it as it's a PITA to get to me in smaller quantities.

I’ve really been enjoying the Thayers Aftershave Balm. It contains witch hazel (as you’d expect from Thayers) and aloe Vera, as well as some other good stuff. It has a very mild woody aquatic scent that fades very quickly.

5D9D89C3-B5FA-49EF-8A52-8C9472BC3000.png

I’m also a big fan of the Proraso White ASB.

Last edited:
So, not quite an answer t oyour question.... but maybe try an AS splash that has the right moistruizer in it? For example, I find that Proraso Red leaves my face very well moisturized - just like a blam would, but without the greasy after feel. Lots of splashes have ingredients that may have the same effect... if you're after a moisturizing post treatment, maybe not limit yourself to balms?

Adidas is a good example of a splash that borders on a lotion in terms of moisturizing. Unfortunately, they are all scented heavily, practically cologne strength.

Musgo Real Aftershave Balsalm is wonderful stuff.
Not cheap, but as the OP states, you only need a small amount.
The scent is pleasant and light - it does not interfere with my fragrances.
Myrsol Emulsion is another I can recommend.

I mostly use Gold Bond Ultimate Essentials For Men Lotion or L'Occitane Cade. Both are not greasy.

You could also expand your search to non-shave specific non-greasy moisturizer. They do the same thing.

Last edited:
I've been using Pre De Provence Balm ... very very nice feel which is quickly absorbed and non greasy. No scent as such just a clean smell.
So nice I've bought a second tube as it isn't easily available here in the UK :)

proxy.php

I use this after every shave, post aftershave splash. They have AM and PM. The PM simply doesn’t have sunscreen. The Walmart Equate brand is nearly as good at half the price, ~$6 and lasts 2-3 months.

It has no scent and isn’t greasy or heavy feeling. This way you won’t have interference from your splashes or cologne.

Another great choice is:
proxy.php

Again scentless, very light and non greasy.

Great suggestions! CeraVe is my go-to product for dry skin days.

proxy.php

I also use a Cerave moisturizer. Its really good. They have several options (face, body, general). Non greasy in this instance is where it feels absorbed and matte. No shine or slick feeling afterwards. I am slowly working through my scented balms with the goal of just having this as my single balm. Having soap, balm and / or after shave and cologne scents all competing it a little challenging at times, so scentless makes a lot of sense for me

Top Bottom