What's new

Thinking about a hip flask, but what size?

I going to buy myself a hip flask, but I am wondering what is the preferred size?

This is just an occasional social carry, not a "get me through the day" requirement, so it doesn't have to hold a half pint of spirits. The one that I was looking at here might fit the bill, but I am not sure if it is too big for a pants pocket and is more suited to a jacket.

$beltbuckleflask1.jpgthis.

I generally reckon 100ml is a good size for a flask. Someone will see you drinking, and you'll have to share, and having a decent sized dram each is generally enough. I've got three - 50ml / 100ml / 200ml, and what I carry depends on what I'm intending to take. I'm not taking 200ml of 25YO Bowmore, but if I'm filling it with Cutty Sark, it's good to have some to share.

+1 on the FLASK above (one that size deserves the caps)

It really depends on how much you think you would drink... but another tip, don't buy a cheap on from a dollar store, my friend did that and the seal gave out fairly quickly leaving him with a pocket that have a very distinctive rum smell until he did his laundry the next day.

If you're planning on using it like I do, for tailgating/bringing into sporting events, the bigger the better. I've got a cheap 8oz. one I got off ebay that actually wasn't "enough" in my younger days. It still kind of isn't. I bought a second 6 oz one to supplement it. I drank all of both of them at one game. Got ridiculously hammered and haven't done it since. It's nice to lend to friends though.

I'm interested in this as well, I normally keep a 200ml bottle in my messenger bag and it lasts me about a week maybe a few days more. Not a daily use and gets jostled around a bit so a good seal is paramount. Amazing how just a couple hits of rum or whiskey helps take the chill off when riding at night!

-Xander

As this will be for those social situations where an extra boost is desired, I am now leaning toward a high quality 6 oz flask to start.

I have sort of fixated on a vintage flask in hammered sterling silver, but I am guessing that the price, upkeep and seal make it less practical than a modern stainless steel flask.

don't buy a cheap on from a dollar store,

We're doing a hip-flask promo pack for one specific market. The flasks are costing us about £200 a piece (and that's wholesale), and they're cr*p. My test results show the welds rusting and turning whisky black (iron dissolving into the spirit) in under a week. A cheap one might work. It might fail. But then so might a really expensive one. We're counting on people buying them, sticking them on shelves and never putting a drink in them. I've got a horrible feeling it's going to come back and haunt me, just after my boss retires....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Make sure you tell your wife "Does this hip flask make me look fat?"

Legion

Staff member
My experience is when your mates or co-workers see you spiking your own soft drink from a flask you usually have to share with them. Get a larger size than you think you need. :glare:

There are lots of choices when it comes to hip flasks. I have a couple. I have three of them. One two are stainless steel (one hold 5 ounces, the other holds 8) I also have a pewter flask that holds exactly 4.5 ounces.

Some people shy away from Pewter these days believing that pewter contains lead. Pewter products contained lead many years ago. But modern Pewter contains no lead. Just check with the manufacturer. Pewter actually serves as a conductor and hence contains low melting points keeping your alcohol cooler for greater amounts of time. It is also shown to not impart any taste to your whisky. I think Pewter is more elegant, but either Pewter or Steel are great for a flask. 4-6 ounces is the best size to go for. My 4.5 ounce flask is very discreet. Whereas the big one i have will make people wonder about you if they see it.

I'm not a fan of the pewter ones because they have a habit of getting bent right under the neck and not being able to make a seal again.

I have several I have recieved as gifts over the years for being a groomsman etc. I find I only use them at weddings with cash bars. Most other events that I may want a nip, there is booze available or I bring kegs of beer or a cooler. The key is stealth. two small flasks are easier to stow than one big one, and then you can carry two different beverages. Single malt for those that will appreciate it, and rotgut for those mixing it with Coke.

Funny to see this thread bubble up again. I ended up getting two; a two oz flask/cigar holder and a 6 oz stainless flask. I have used the cigar flask more than the hip flask, just because it is a two-fer.

Top Bottom