What's new

Thinking about a Charcoal Goods

I’ve been itching for a new razor for quite awhile, but not sure what razor would scratch that itch. I’ve heard wonderful things about Charcoal Goods from some shave friends, but have not seen much talk about them lately.

I’m mostly a vintage user, but have tried several modern razors such as ATT, Karve, Rex, Rockwell 6s and the Gamechanger .84. Any comparisons to these or any vintage Gillette would be helpful. Level 2 seems to be what would work for me based on my preferences, more feedback welcome.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a Brass CG Level 2 and find it to be a wonderful shaver. A very good compromise between mildness and efficiency.

My preferred razors are Gillette Techs, Gillette Old Type, FaTips, Karve B-SB and C-SB, Blackbird SB plate, Timeless .68.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I’ve had very similar thoughts about a stainless level 2, but at the price Charcoal razors go for, it’s hard to justify when my Timeless and Game Changer razors work so well.

I’ve had very similar thoughts about a stainless level 2, but at the price Charcoal razors go for, it’s hard to justify when my Timeless and Game Changer razors work so well.

Agreed, although those handle designs are beautiful and something about the way the copper looks strikes my fancy.

I was using the various Game Changer OC razors for a while, mostly the Jaws. When I got my first CG level 2 (Gen 2) I was not impressed, didn’t seem as efficient as the GCs. I immediately listed it for sale and started looking for an OC version on the secondary. Found one, it seemed a little better than the SB version but still didn’t wow me. Out of sheer stubbornness I kept going back to it and giving it a shot, and eventually started to warm up to it after trying out a bunch of different blades. Astra SP seems to be the one that works best for me, which is weird because I’ve never like Astra in anything before. My SB Gen2 never sold so I got that back out and gave it another shot, and it was much better after the time spent with the OC.

I ended up picking up another SB in the older Gen 1 style base plate, and I’ve really been enjoying that razor for the past couple months now. I’ve literally never found a SB razor that I liked in the 6 years I’ve been wet shaving (granted I pretty much stopped trying SB razors when I discovered OC a long time ago). I’ve hardly touched the Jaws but I did a half/half comparison the other day and actually got a closer shave with the CG level 2 SB, which surprised me. I have a GC .84 SB getting delivered tomorrow, a RR SS Lupo in the mail, and a Rex Envoy on preorder as well. If nothing else, the CG got me interested in a couple razors I never gave a second look at before because they are SB.

The CG razors are great, really a work of art as much as great shavers, and that was one of my appeals to begin with. I personally like the looks of the Gen 1 baseplates better. They pop up on the classifieds pretty regularly. That’s what I’d recommend if you decide to try one out, especially since the Gen 1 version are reminiscent of the Gillette New heads.

Last edited:
My Charcoal Goods level 2 SB is 2nd in my den only behind my Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB as far as shave quality. I have the antique brass with the magnum hammered handle. It is just slightly less efficient and smooth than the WR2, but is certainly its equal in looks. I have used it dozens of times and never had a bad shave with any blade. It just doesn't draw blood. That is saying something.

I'd like one but they never have all the parts in stock. I really like that Bee handle though. I may have to settle for just a handle. I really wanted a complete copper razor but not level 3

My Charcoal Goods level 2 SB is 2nd in my den only behind my Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB as far as shave quality. I have the antique brass with the magnum hammered handle. It is just slightly less efficient and smooth than the WR2, but is certainly its equal in looks. I have used it dozens of times and never had a bad shave with any blade. It just doesn't draw blood. That is saying something.

Another fan of the level 2 SB. So much so that I have a gen 1, two gen 2s, and a Stinger handle, all stainless. Completely agree with @It's Hedley. They always provide a smooth, comfortable shave with zero effort. Highly recommended!

The only razors I now use are the Tatara (original Masamune) and Charcoal Goods (level 1 OC, level 2 DC, hammered and stinger handles). I have a level 3 DC but haven't tried it yet. CG are very smooth and efficient, even the level 1 works for me. Still looking to try a level 1 SB. Plus they look fantastic.

I have been a huge fan of Brians for a long time. My collection has grown over the years but the one set of razors I always go back to are my Charcoal Goods. I have Gen 1 levels 1,2, and 3 in DC and level 2&3 SB gen 2. My favorites are gen 1 level 2 and Gen 2 level 3

I have been a huge fan of Brians for a long time. My collection has grown over the years but the one set of razors I always go back to are my Charcoal Goods. I have Gen 1 levels 1,2, and 3 in DC and level 2&3 SB gen 2. My favorites are gen 1 level 2 and Gen 2 level 3

I’ve always liked your taste in shaveware, thanks for the recommend.

CG has really well-made razors, and though it was only once, it was a pleasure doing business with Brian several years ago. I hope they issue a Level 1 in SS; if they do, I'll likely give it a try. I bought & sold a Level 2 ~2.5 years ago, but it just wasn't conducive (for me) for use as a daily. I am pretty sensitive to blade exposure, however. If I only shaved twice a week, my take on razors would be different.

i use a charcoal goods brass level 2 and for me it is an outstanding smooth shaver.just a great razor.john

Love their handles - Hammered Stainless - 50g... center in pic, L Gillette Heritage (30g), R GC HD (73g).

proxy.php

I have a pretty tough beard and didn’t immediately love the level 2. It took me a few months but now it’s the best shaver I have. Currently in the process of downsizing my razors because of it.

Top Bottom