What's new

Thinking about a BK12, talk me out of it

I'm thinking about getting a Kent BK12. I've always wanted one ever since I first saw them many years ago. Thing is I (nearly) exclusively use hard soaps.

Talk me out of it, or enable me if you think its good.

I have around a dozen other brushes so day to day practicality isn't really a concern

Kent Bk12 would be a huge mistake if you want to make a statement!
A brush that significant should be in Black, so move up to the Kent Blk12!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 181
I have the same situation; a dozen brushes and only hard soaps. I also have the BK8.

Last fall I contemplated getting the BK12 for really indulging with massive amounts of lather from a bowl. I ended up in another solution that might be of interest to you.

I bought a TGN 26 mm finest F2 knot and put it in a 28 mm handle (as per their recommendation) from TGN also. The result was a brush that is at least the size of the BK12, about 28/60 mm. It picks up soap very well and it can actually be used for face lathering, although you will risk also lathering the bathroom walls...

$TGN Finest.jpg
Comparison to razor

$TGN Finest2.jpg
Comparison to normal size puck

The TGN knot is soft and luxurious, softer than the BK8 because of lesser backbone. Mind you the BK8 is of the newer kind and not at all floppy.

Good luck with the possibility of getting a behemoth to brush!

nick - if you really thought about and wanted a specific brush for many years - well - go ahead and acquire that brush right away! :thumbup:

I have a Kent BLK12 and it's a great brush.

I used it last night to face lather Tabac soap, which is a hard soap, it produced a great lather, feels so soft and I could have shaved a second person I had so much left afterwards.

I only ever face lather and regulalrly use my BLK12 with MWF, Tabac, Crabtree & Evely soaps with no problem, also use it with croaps like Cella and Proraso.

No brush feels softer, it's a huge hug of luxury.

the only hard soap I had a problem with was HTGAM Synergy soap, where the brush just didn't want to know about it - I was gutted as that big petri dish just begs for a big brush such as the Kent.

If you want a proper scrub then it won't be the brush for you but I enjoy a bit of variety and nothing puts a smile on my face that using the BLK12 with something like Cella - it's just a pure joy.

I too have about a dozen brushes (more like 15).

Ever since seeing beastly sized brushes in a pharmacy window in Paris, I wanted one. Eventually I obtained a WD 30 mm and thought I was content until I found a 30/83 Super Silvertip knot and I just had to have it. I set it in a WD handle with a finished loft of 69 mm compared to the 58 mm I set the WD 30 at.

I love that monster beast. I'm thrilled to have it in my rotation.

If you are experienced using Badger brushes and can afford the indulgence, do it. If it were to be your first or only brush, I would say don't do it.

I'm thinking about getting a Kent BK12. I've always wanted one ever since I first saw them many years ago. Thing is I (nearly) exclusively use hard soaps.

I have around a dozen other brushes so day to day practicality isn't really a concern

There you go, Nick. Just talked you out of it.

I've owned many brushes and nothing more luxurious than a Bk12. I like big brushes but even for me it was huge. I enjoyed owning it but after awhile it became kind of a novelty. On the other hand, there are some who use it as an everyday brush. If you have wanted one for some time, buy it and find out for yourself what it's like. There really is nothing like it and if you like big brushes it is worthwhile trying one.

I understand the idea of wanting something so plush and fancy. But honestly for that price you could buy a dangerbird hammock and a stand. That's a whole different ball game in luxury! ;)

if you can spare the money and not miss it.......... And would like a large impressive brush to display on a bathroom shelf....... It would be a beautiful decoration. But I think it is much too large to have a controlled enjoyable lathering. I would save my money and shop for something more useful.

I dont have the BK12 or BLK 12 but I do use regulary a T12 in pure. A big brush. Does the job for me. I now have 6 kents.....please stop me.

If you want it, and you can afford it comfortably, go for it. This lovely hobby is almost completely YMMV, so we have to try things for ourselves. Sounds like your current lineup of brushes is diverse (since day-to-day practicality isn't a concern). Worst case scenario, B/S/T discounted Kent BK12 pass-around.:001_rolle

I don't ever talk people out of buying stuff...

I have no experience with Kent, but I did want to address the hard soap point. I think it is a myth that a soft brush is bad for hard soaps. I do think a boar or a nice high back bone badger loads faster and lathers a little easier, but I use nothing but soap, and even my softest brush lathers just fine without too much trouble

Top Bottom