What's new

Thinking about 6.5 Grendel as a 2nd AR Upper - Thoughts?

Thinking about 6.5 Grendel as a 2nd AR Upper as sort of a hunting and longer range caliber. 18 to 20" barrel; no shorter. I was amazed at how inexpensive 6.5 Grendel ammo is. Thoughts? Recommendations?

I say get 2, send one to me for.....testing. :001_smile
Great BC's on 6.5 bullets. Would love a .260 Remington bolt rifle myself, or a 6.5 SAUM.

I bought an Alexander Arms Overwatch upper some years back, free floated 24" barrel. making for a big basically bench gun. Then I got the bug to build some, so made another 24 incher, plus a little 16 or 18 inch carbine, with Adams Arms gas piston units, which really help keep the receiver clean. I have probably had as much fun with this caliber as with any, even reforming 7.62x39 brass to Grendel, when it was scarce and very expensive.

I say do it, you will not be sorry. Cheep Wolf ammo is great for plinking and Hornandy is worlds better. I just received 200 new Hornandy cases from Midsouth for $50/100 so am set for a long, long, time.

Oh, I also have on order with a deposit, a CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel, a little mini mauser bolt action

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thinking about 6.5 Grendel as a 2nd AR Upper as sort of a hunting and longer range caliber. 18 to 20" barrel; no shorter. I was amazed at how inexpensive 6.5 Grendel ammo is. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Other than price, what do you like about it compared to the 6.8 Remington?

The BC of the bullets that was previously mentioned would be my guess. The 6.8 was nominally designed, as I understand it, as a room clearing device. It's max range with real accuracy, from what I've read, is about 300 yards. The Grendel, with its short, fat case, can use longer, slipperier bullets and comes into its own PAST 300, I'd guess it being limited to maybe 800 by it's powder capacity. That's where the Creedmoor, 260 Remington and best of all 6.5x284 take over. The 6.5 Swedish Mauser is no slouch either.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Luv me some 6.5 rifles. I would go with at least a 20 in. barrel. I'm not sure what length would optimize the 6.5 Grendels ballistics, but I would think longer is better.

A friend built one with one of the Brownell's barrels and is very happy. Don't remember the length, think it was 20, might be 18.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CZ is going with a 24" on their new bolt action, advertising stated to get the maximum out of the little case. Personally in an AR unless I were looking for a bench or long range varmint type, I would go with a 20", no less than 18 to hit a happy medium for handiness and velocity achieved.

Randy nailed it; ballistics coefficient. I feel like a 6.5 mm AR is a do everything rifle. Only rub I see is that the Grendel (from what I read) while ok with an 18" barrel, is better with a 20. Past 20" the rifle is no longer very handy IMHO. I may even take the performance hit and do an 18" build. For 16"; then 6.8 SPC would be better.

CZ is going with a 24" on their new bolt action, advertising stated to get the maximum out of the little case. Personally in an AR unless I were looking for a bench or long range varmint type, I would go with a 20", no less than 18 to hit a happy medium for handiness and velocity achieved.

Yes.

Funny you should mention the CZ. I was thinking long term of a companion bolt gun. Although the 6.5 Creedmoor would be better, if I can have a caliber that works well for an AR and bolt gun, then I'll take it. I already have enough calibers as it is.

The CZ has not hit the dealers yet, but I got an email reply from CZ stating that they should arrive in the states in the first quarter of this year, so far nothing, but that is routine for them.

Howa already has a bolt action 6.5 Grendel out, but all I have seen is a synthetic stock and I want wood, plus I am familiar with the CZ, I like my little 527 in 22 Hornet, and appreciate the factory set trigger at times, unset is very good, set is out of this world.

I understand about too many calibers, my reloading die boxes stacked like books would probably make a stack 5-6 feet high

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Randy nailed it; ballistics coefficient. I feel like a 6.5 mm AR is a do everything rifle. Only rub I see is that the Grendel (from what I read) while ok with an 18" barrel, is better with a 20. Past 20" the rifle is no longer very handy IMHO. I may even take the performance hit and do an 18" build. For 16"; then 6.8 SPC would be better.

Makes sense.

Funny you should mention the CZ. I was thinking long term of a companion bolt gun. Although the 6.5 Creedmoor would be better, if I can have a caliber that works well for an AR and bolt gun, then I'll take it. I already have enough calibers as it is.

All depends on what you want, Grendel is supposed to be good out to about 800-900 yards with the right bullet, ie something like the 123 Gr Lapua. The 6.5 Creedmore would probably stretch that another 300-400 simply by virtue of higher velocity. Downside is it requires a larger, heavier rifle. The CZ 527 is a true miniature Mauser, sized for cases like the 22 Hornet, the Grendel, .223 and 7.62x39 the largest caliber offered in that rifle, Some smaller calibers are offered but I cannot remember what they are.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love the round - reload and cast for 6.5x50sr - but personally, getting a .300 BO upper first.

Hate that you have to buy proprietary 6.5 mags ...

AA

I just saw via facebook, that the CZ 527 6.5 Grendels in walnut have arrived in country. Maybe it won't be long now.

Love the round - reload and cast for 6.5x50sr - but personally, getting a .300 BO upper first.

Hate that you have to buy proprietary 6.5 mags ...

AA
Proprietary mags is why I went 458 socom instead of 450 Bushmaster, so of course my state (Michigan) now allows straight wall cartridges for hunting. Indiana allows the socom, hopefully Michigan will follow suit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Got my 18" Odin Works barrel and bolt today, along with a Spikes upper. Will get it built after my Midwest Industries handguard arrives. The barrel is a bit heavy at 2.4 lbs.

Top Bottom