What's new

think ive found my technique

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What is the Gillette slide?
Instead of moving the SR on your skin in a direction perpendicular to the edge, you move it at an angle, say at about 30° off the perpendicular. It sounds dangerous and it can be if you don't have the skill to do it safely. It has about the same danger level as doing it with a "safety" razor from where the term "Gillette slide" came from.

I now use the Gillette slide with all my SR shaves when shaving my neck. The whisker growth on my neck is basically horizontal from the throat outwards. My Gillet slide has the SR edge positioned horizontally but moving at about 60° from the horizontal towards my throat.

Last edited:
Instead of moving the SR on your skin in a direction perpendicular to the edge, you move it at an angle, say at about 30° off the perpendicular. It sounds dangerous and it can be if you don't have the skill to do it safely. It has about the same danger level as doing it with a "safety" razor from where the term "Gillette slide" came from.

I now use the Gillette slide with all my SR shaves when shaving my neck. The whisker growth on my neck is basically horizontal from the throat outwards. My Gillet slide has the SR edge positioned horizontally but moving at about 60° from the horizontal towards my throat.
Thanks. I think such a move goes by other names too. "Scything motion" comes to mind.

I'm working SLOWLY to develop this technique. It seems most useful in ATG swipes. My facial ATG is a stroke from sideburn towards goatee. As I discovered, ATG is much more easily accomplished once the WTG stroke is completed. (Obvious to you all, I imagine!)

So, the SR is moved from ear to goatee while also moving downwards. It's a slicing motion, I suppose. As long as the razor is moving laterally, there's less risk in the downwards motion parallel with the blade. As @rbscebu said, it takes skill. It feels mentally counterintuitive; but I take it nice and slow and lead with the heel. As @rbscebu also says (the exact opposite), I NEVER do it on my neck! It's going to take me time to develop the feel to move the blade laterally on my neck. Half of me says I'll never do it. The other half encourages me that one day....

I'm working SLOWLY to develop this technique. It seems most useful in ATG swipes. My facial ATG is a stroke from sideburn towards goatee. As I discovered, ATG is much more easily accomplished once the WTG stroke is completed. (Obvious to you all, I imagine!)

So, the SR is moved from ear to goatee while also moving downwards. It's a slicing motion, I suppose. As long as the razor is moving laterally, there's less risk in the downwards motion parallel with the blade. As @rbscebu said, it takes skill. It feels mentally counterintuitive; but I take it nice and slow and lead with the heel. As @rbscebu also says (the exact opposite), I NEVER do it on my neck! It's going to take me time to develop the feel to move the blade laterally on my neck. Half of me says I'll never do it. The other half encourages me that one day....

Every Man's face is different. Every Man's beard growth pattern is different. Sounds to me like your approach is cautious and sound. Keep up the good work, it's a life-long learning curve really.

I think such a move goes by other names too. "Scything motion" comes to mind.
Personally, I make a distinction between a scything stroke and a sliding stroke.

The scything stroke is a sweeping stroke where the toe inscribes an arc that rotates around the heel. The heel may travel some, but it's still an arcing stroke.

The slide incorporates blade travel parallel to the edge while the major motion is essentially perpendicular to the edge. It can be incorporated into most strokes by adding a touch of parallel, i. e., sliding, motion relative to the predominant direction of the stroke.

Just my attempt to nail down terminology for what is an active, flowing, art form. Your opinions, and usefulness of mine to you, may vary...

Top Bottom