What's new

Think I'm gonna pick up a 40 S&W barrel for my Bond Arms. Looking for barrel length suggestions.

First, sorry to everyone for dominating this board. I promise to stop creating 15 threads per day... very soon.

But I think I want to grab a 40 S&W barrel for my Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the ideal barrel length for that caliber. I can get it from Bond Arms in 2.5", 3", 3.5", and 4.25".

Bond Arms offers a 6" barrel but not in 40 S&W.

My only case for getting the barrel in 4.25" is a practical one - I already own a leather holster for the 4.25" barrel.

Thanks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well...... I'd like one the shorter the better. That's just me though, as I'd probably just carry it in my pocket runnin' around loose. I'm getting so old now I only plan on using a gun at hand shaking distance.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well...... I'd like one the shorter the better. That's just me though, as I'd probably just carry it in my pocket runnin' around loose. I'm getting so old now I only plan on using a gun at hand shaking distance.
And don't apologize for starting threads.

It's the only mental stimulation some of us get!

Sudoku is too hard!

And don't apologize for starting threads.

It's the only mental stimulation some of us get!

Sudoku is too hard!

Haha! Well then I'll keep making them just to stave off Alzheimer's for you.

I do like the idea of the 2.5" barrel. My configuration now is 4.25" barrel in 410/45 and extended grips, so I'd like to have a configuration that is as small as possible. That would be a 2.5" and a set of standard grips. This is a very pocket sized gun, I think, when it's set up to be as small as it can.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Haha! Well then I'll keep making them just to stave off Alzheimer's for you.

I do like the idea of the 2.5" barrel. My configuration now is 4.25" barrel in 410/45 and extended grips, so I'd like to have a configuration that is as small as possible. That would be a 2.5" and a set of standard grips. This is a very pocket sized gun, I think, when it's set up to be as small as it can.

I learned something today. I didn’t know you could change the barrel out on the Bond. That’s cool. I might have to go get me one!

I learned something today. I didn’t know you could change the barrel out on the Bond. That’s cool. I might have to go get me one!

Yeah, it's a very cool feature. I'd like to eventually own all of their barrel lengths in all different calibers. They also have standard, extended, and jumbo grips. Between those two things you can really make the thing a different gun entirely.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, it's a very cool feature. I'd like to eventually own all of their barrel lengths in all different calibers. They also have standard, extended, and jumbo grips. Between those two things you can really make the thing a different gun entirely.

Now that’s what I call, modular!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'd go for the 2.5" one if it were me, just so it would fit in a pocket better. For those times you just wanna grab something and go, and not mess with a holster. But all that is subjective.

I wouldn't worry too much about the velocity loss with the shorter barrel. When Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, and Skeeter Skelton were pushing for the .41 mag. to be introduced as a police round in the 1960s, they had opined that a .40 caliber bullet didn't need expansion to have sufficient stopping power.

For a take on an old saying...a 9 mm "may" expand, but a .40 will never shrink.

The .40 S&W has basically identical ballistics to the old .38-40 black powder round that was very popular in the late 1800s. The .38-40 has a "step heel" bullet and the actual diameter is .40 caliber and not .38.

Last edited:
Top Bottom