What's new

Think I'm done with forums!

I find I look less and less with this excellent forum. I've been getting excellent shaves, should I say with some higher priced equipment..
I've been using a feather asd2 with Att backup, and alternate between 2 quality brushes, SV badger and chubby 2 synthetic.
Soaps need to suite my sometimes sensitive face, proraso, SV, meißner when I can get it, and best of all, Musgo Real creams, which are absolutely top tier .
I don't feel any need for other stuff.

Hi,

I have done the same. I have what I like after trying This, That and The Other Thing. ;)

I have several razors I just no longer use. I had more and passed some on at one point. I should probably take a hard look at what is still here. Many are open comb DE razors I collected up for playing in the yearly Open Comb OCtober. I didn't participate last year. If I don't this year, I think I'll put them up on the BST.

Brushes weren't something I got into and blades just get used up although I did send some to the Great Blade Exchange for stock. Soap get used up as well.

But, I do still follow several forums here even though I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to.

Stan

There are two reasons to belong to a forum. One is to learn, the other is to teach. If you have found what works best for you, there is no need to change it, at least until your beard and skin changes as you age. Then you might find that what works for you today will no longer work a decade or two down the road.

You went through your process of learning what works for you. Some of those things you learned from experimentation, from trial and error. Others you learned with the help of mentors who shared what they learned along the way. Consider sharing what you have learned with new shavers who have much to learn. It is better to learn from the mistakes and successes of others than to have to make your own mistakes. Some of those mistakes can be costly from a financial standpoint, some can be painful.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are two reasons to belong to a forum. One is to learn, the other is to teach. If you have found what works best for you, there is no need to change it, at least until your beard and skin changes as you age. Then you might find that what works for you today will no longer work a decade or two down the road.

You went through your process of learning what works for you. Some of those things you learned from experimentation, from trial and error. Others you learned with the help of mentors who shared what they learned along the way. Consider sharing what you have learned with new shavers who have much to learn. It is better to learn from the mistakes and successes of others than to have to make your own mistakes. Some of those mistakes can be costly from a financial standpoint, some can be painful.
This

It is great you have found a setup that suits you. If you have lost interest in the shaving threads then why not take a look at the other sub forums in case there is something of interest?
And this.

I have found that because of this forum, I will spend less money had I not found it. I learned about GRUME, and 3017'ing here, and loved reading the 3017 thread and also the thread on the Marco Method of building lather with Italian soft soaps. I also enjoy the fellowship of like minded gentlemen.

+2! This^

The next stage is to pass on what you learned to the next generation!! :thumbup1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm actually going to be setting up a journal to document the last 6 months of my shaving journey... First reason, so I stop blowing up the journals of my friends here, who have been so kind to me. The second reason is... there are newbies showing most days. I don't know what benefit they'll get from reading my journal, but who knows?

I do know, I've learned quite a bit from several journals here, along with reading the every day participation of so many other people. I know I've shortened the learning curve... there are so many things you just don't know when you first convert to traditional wet shaving.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm actually going to be setting up a journal to document the last 6 months of my shaving journey... First reason, so I stop blowing up the journals of my friends here, who have been so kind to me. The second reason is... there are newbies showing most days. I don't know what benefit they'll get from reading my journal, but who knows?

I do know, I've learned quite a bit from several journals here, along with reading the every day participation of so many other people. I know I've shortened the learning curve... there are so many things you just don't know when you first convert to traditional wet shaving.
Looking forward to it, my friend.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
K-Dawg,

Please keep blowing up everything like that guy Harry from the Muppett Show if you have to. Still, looking forward to your journal, of course.

@Roy ,

I’m sorry you’re leaving (or left and will never see this ever ever), but hope you had fun during your stay and that your Happy Razor Fun Times bring you joy each and every time.

I too feel like I have my shave (and the associated equipment) pretty much dialed in at this point. I hang around for some of the forums like The Nib and The Speakeasy where I have a direct interest, and sometimes read others that I have absolutely no connection with ie. Shooting Sports, The Brown Leaf. In general I like the camaraderie and general goodwill on this site. Also a peek into the lives of others with whom I may have little in common. Just kinda makes me feel good about my fellow man.
Plus we need to keep tabs on Farmer Tan!

Last edited:
I have been doing this wet shaving thing for more than 50 years.
Yet, I still find sometimes new ideas, suggestions and concepts on various shaving forums that get me thinking and sometimes make me want to experiment with. Not very often, but it does happen like when I was recently looking for a non-Russian alternative to Astra double-edge blades…

I also like the idea of helping others, not so much to “teach”, but more to explain how I see and do things, and possibly give someone an incentive or encouragement.
To me a “forum” is a meeting place, just like the Roman name implies, where people exchange ideas.

It takes a certain amount of interest and the desire to help.

But if using a forum for you is only about extracting the necessary information that you require and the entire shaving thing leaves you otherwise cold, than that’s perfectly o.k. too.

To each his own…

B.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I too feel like I have my shave (and the associated equipment) pretty much dialed in at this point. I hang around for some of the forums like The Nib and The Speakeasy where I have a direct interest, and sometimes read others that I have absolutely no connection with ie. Shooting Sports, The Brown Leaf. In general I like the camaraderie and general goodwill on this site. Also a peek into the lives of others with whom I may have little in common. Just kinda makes me feel good about my fellow man.
Plus we need to keep tabs on Farmer Tan!
My friend! The Lovely War Department will be happy to hear that she has help in keeping tabs on me!

I thank you for keeping me humble. I came across your post JUST as I was about to say, "Ya know, if nothing else, you should follow the Tanned Farmer to see what 'Pony' is bound to turn up in all the 'Horse Dung' he posts on Badger and Blade!"

I'm a big fan of knowledge transfer and still learn a few things after 50+ of wetshaving. But for knowledge transfer to occur, one has to have an audience willing to learn. I found that not to be the case with a certain tip about brush care/maintenance I posted in the shaving brush forum. Doesn't matter to me but that "we're all gentlemen thing here" seems to have exceptions. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm a big fan of knowledge transfer and still learn a few things after 50+ of wetshaving. But for knowledge transfer to occur, one has to have an audience willing to learn. I found that not to be the case with a certain tip about brush care/maintenance I posted in the shaving brush forum. Doesn't matter to me but that "we're all gentlemen thing here" seems to have exceptions. ;)
I wouldn't take it personally. The idea of combing my brushes is just alien to me. I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn. I had never read about anyone else combing their brushes. When you hear something for the first time, it does give one pause, that's all. I'm a clean brush fanatic, I would say... so I might just try it, you never know. <eg> (evil grin: denotes an attempt at humor)

I wouldn't take it personally. The idea of combing my brushes is just alien to me. I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn. I had never read about anyone else combing their brushes. When you hear something for the first time, it does give one pause, that's all. I'm a clean brush fanatic, I would say... so I might just try it, you never know. <eg> (evil grin: denotes an attempt at humor)
If you saw my old brushes compared to many I see here, you'd understand. I mean we brush our own hair, our dog's, cat's, wolverines, whatever. It would have never dawned on me either until what then an old timer taught me that. Long before forums and the internet. The caution is dry brush and *gentile* combing. Helps keep the knot clean and well shaped. It works especially well on boar, less well on very dense badger. Use a wide tine comb. Someday, I should take a photo of my vintage brushes and people can see it does no harm and, instead, does a fair bit of good. Don't force it.

But my point was fewer people are willing to listen to those who might have more experience because that's the way the world is. No one here knows me so I don't take much personally. But there was some rudeness in that topic which did surprise me along with snarky remarks instead of wondering why it might be a good idea to consider or countering saying why it was not a good idea. That, disappointed me. One is either an actual gentleman or one only likes to pretend to be. Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle... ;)

Top Bottom