What's new

Things To Keep In Mind While Using Parker Variant

Parker Variant is an amazing true adjustable safety razor and loved among die hard fans of wet shaving.
There had been many problems with wet shavers who got this razor initially due to it's fragility, ill blade alignment, and polishing issues it raised. Don't know if company resolved it by now.. ?
As an established wet shaver and owner of Parker Variant Razor, would you recommend it to a novice player like me? If yes, than what important tips you all want me to keep in mind while using this razor?

I believe the quality control issues that were in the early specimens of the Parker Variant razor were resolved awhile back. I have had this razor for about a year with zero problems. I love it, and I recommend it without hesitation.

I believe the quality control issues that were in the early specimens of the Parker Variant razor were resolved awhile back. I have had this razor for about a year with zero problems. I love it, and I recommend it without hesitation.
santamariasteve, thank you so much for your recommendation and info regarding quality control..
Enjoy your wet shaves.. :straight:

I got a first batch one in satin so I didn’t have the black finish chipping issue. They took all those back though and returned them with a much better although dark grey finish. Mine had a thread issue but they sent me a replacement immediately. That one and 2 more purchases for my boys were perfect. Never saw an alignment issue and don’t remember that coming up.

I love them and highly recommend. If you have a Progress or any other long threaded Merkurs, I prefer those caps and bought some for myself and my boys. The Merkur caps are thinner, more aggressive and a bit smoother with the Variant. I kept the Variant caps because they have brass threads so down the line after zamack thread rot, the Variant caps will eventually go back on.

I got a first batch one in satin so I didn’t have the black finish chipping issue. They took all those back though and returned them with a much better although dark grey finish. Mine had a thread issue but they sent me a replacement immediately. That one and 2 more purchases for my boys were perfect. Never saw an alignment issue and don’t remember that coming up.

I love them and highly recommend. If you have a Progress or any other long threaded Merkurs, I prefer those caps and bought some for myself and my boys. The Merkur caps are thinner, more aggressive and a bit smoother with the Variant. I kept the Variant caps because they have brass threads so down the line after zamack thread rot, the Variant caps will eventually go back on.
THall, thank you for sharing out your account. Reason being I'm new to wet shaving and never really tried Merkurs. They are very costly in India. As Parker is our home brand, their shaving supplies are easily available here. So was looking up for 91 R and Variant. I hope mine will be without any blemishes upon receiving.

Enjoy your shaves.. :straight:

The Parker Variant is a fine razor and I really like mine. Yes initially they had some Q/C issues ( like a lot of companies with new products). But that seems sorted now. I have had mine over two years and it’s still going strong and without issue. And to use a razor made in your home country is a great thing.

Reason being I'm new to wet shaving and never really tried Merkurs. They are very costly in India. As Parker is our home brand, their shaving supplies are easily available here. So was looking up for 91 R and Variant.
May I suggest you stick to the Pink Woolf for the moment and work on good technique. I don't know how different it is from the Sterling but it must shave differently as that razor looks like a R41 but from what you say is mildly mannered. I don't have a Variant but a Merkur Progress and you will have no problem using a Variant when you eventually buy one. The Variant is a Progress clone so would be similar in shaves.

The Parker Variant is a fine razor and I really like mine. Yes initially they had some Q/C issues ( like a lot of companies with new products). But that seems sorted now. I have had mine over two years and it’s still going strong and without issue. And to use a razor made in your home country is a great thing.
Fozzie Bear, yes, I had a word with local distributor in New Delhi yesterday and they said the same thing regarding Variant. In addition, they said the product is backed with 1 year warranty and if any issues faced they would either repair it or send a replacement.
It does every nation's citizen proud when they use home country's products.

May I suggest you stick to the Pink Woolf for the moment and work on good technique. I don't know how different it is from the Sterling but it must shave differently as that razor looks like a R41 but from what you say is mildly mannered. I don't have a Variant but a Merkur Progress and you will have no problem using a Variant when you eventually buy one. The Variant is a Progress clone so would be similar in shaves.
Invicta, yes you are absolutely correct with what you stated. For now, I had transitioned from 5-10 grams Gillette 7'o clock to a hefty 70 grams Pink Woolf's Open Razor.
I heard that Mühle R41 is among the aggressive side of wet shaving razors. In contrast Pink Woolf's old open comb head lies between Mild and Medium setting. And their new amended head with a thin continuous beneath base plate rakes makes it a very mild razor with limited blade exposure. It would take time to further improve my technique.
Wet shaving is a never ending practice. I would definitely try other high quality razors out there with time. For now I think I'm fully suffice.

The Variant is a great razor. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone new to DE shaving using one. I'd recommend that you keep the setting low at first - probably around 2 and just keep it there for a while. I can get a good close shave even with it turned down that low and there's less risk of giving yourself irritation. Work on getting irritation free shaves at first. Close shaves will come soon enough. Once you can get a close comfortable shave consistently, then you can experiment with turning it up.

The Variant is a great razor. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone new to DE shaving using one. I'd recommend that you keep the setting low at first - probably around 2 and just keep it there for a while. I can get a good close shave even with it turned down that low and there's less risk of giving yourself irritation. Work on getting irritation free shaves at first. Close shaves will come soon enough. Once you can get a close comfortable shave consistently, then you can experiment with turning it up.
hydro-magic, thank you for helping out. I would definitely give it a try now. As Parker Variant is an Indian manufactured razor, it's on a cheaper side in India but gets outta stock pretty quickly due to the popularity. I hope Variant would turn out good for me on a long run.

Happy Shaving. :straight:

Top Bottom