What's new

Things to do with dead kangaroos

Roo is thin enough to glue and not use keepers and rivets or Chicago screws. I have glued other leather using iron on sewing fusing. It comes in strips/rolls or in sheets and you cut to the shape you want and iron on one side, remove the wax paper backing and iron on the other side.

Super bond the glue is stronger than the material, which is how I make Pellon and poly canvas Sail Cloth strops. You can buy iron on fusing at any fabric store, and inexpensive.

I have a whole roo hide that I bought a few years ago. I have to make a couple Pellon CBN strops for another member next week, so I may cut up the roo hide and make them the same way. Will post some pics.

Jerry, you may be getting a roo strop also.

IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3985.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg

Roo is thin enough to glue and not use keepers and rivets or Chicago screws. I have glued other leather using iron on sewing fusing. It comes in strips/rolls or in sheets and you cut to the shape you want and iron on one side, remove the wax paper backing and iron on the other side.

Super bond the glue is stronger than the material, which is how I make Pellon and poly canvas Sail Cloth strops. You can buy iron on fusing at any fabric store, and inexpensive.

I have a whole roo hide that I bought a few years ago. I have to make a couple Pellon CBN strops for another member next week, so I may cut up the roo hide and make them the same way. Will post some pics.

Thanks for the tip. I honestly hadn't considered gluing the leather. Iron on strips or otherwise.

I have a similar set up attaching the D rings to a swivel clip. I figured it would be easier to change ends should I nick the strop. Works very well in my opinion.

View attachment 1447912View attachment 1447913View attachment 1447914View attachment 1447915
Nice idea. The glued ends and lack of rivets also give you one less thing to hit your edge on. Always a bonus.

Legion

Staff member
Nice idea. The glued ends and lack of rivets also give you one less thing to hit your edge on. Always a bonus.
Yeah, but if you change your mind about the hardware... Say, you want to swap the swivel for something that allows you to roll it up, you are not pulling apart glue ends as easily undoing a couple of screws. Small issue, I suppose.

I've always bolted something together rather than welding it, if I can. I change my mind too much.

I mentioned some time back I have an old deer hide. The softest yet strongest for its thickness, or so I'm told. Perhaps I'll back some of that and make a strop. If I had some roo, I'd likely try that too. No reason to get boxed in to just one strop. If strops could only be rolled up for storage, I'd consider making a pouch for the strop.

So many skinned animals. So little time.

A high density elastomer foam might be better than plastic, thick gym mat. There are thin, heavy versions of this and it should provide the cushion and firmness of horse butt. Or felt, there are vegan "strops" made of it.

Top Bottom