What's new

Things besides shaving that you do in an "old school" manner?

I use a fountain pen whenever possible.

I grind my own coffee.

I practice the Golden Rule.

I go to church (High Church Anglican mass) every Sunday.

I use a wrist watch.

When meeting people for the first time, I say, "How do you do?"

I wear a pinky ring.

I like reading newspapers.

- I also follow the golden rule
- Standard etiquette is a must
- I type, speak, and write using proper grammar (Mother is a Teacher)
- I call everyone Sir or Mam' (Father is a former USMC drill instructor)
- I wear a wrist watch 50% of the time, and a pocket watch the rest
- I polish my shoes with a brush, cloth, and a tin of polish
- I prefer to write using a pen and paper, in cursive
- I enjoy going to the public library, and I still use the card catalog about 50% of the time
- I keep a slide rule in my desk (given to me by my Grand Father), and I still prefer it over a calculator
- I smoke from a pipe, and have a very large collection of fine cigars (I've already filled three 300 count humidors, and am working on a fourth)
- I enjoy wearing cuff links, suits, and pocket triangles when I go out on the town

My friends affectionately refer to me as the "Old Man" of the group (I'm 23). :tongue_sm

-I drive a manual transmission car
-Fix as much as possible around the house (you name it, I've probably done it)
-Woodworking (as much as possible by hand)
-Enjoy cigars
-Go to the library
-Prefer to read a real newspaper or book over its modern counterparts (anything over a page long gets printed)
-Listen to classical music
-Use the best grammar possible when speaking and writing in all the languages I am fluent in
-Like writing with fountain pens, however the opportunities to do so have so far been practically non existent
-Enjoy the outdoors! (hiking etc) (Peoples idea of the outdoors here in South Florida is to go to the beach and that is about it)
-I wear a non-digital wrist watch (unless I'm at the gym)
-Enjoy museums
-Decanted wine or port
-I am polite to people (hold doors, greet properly etc)

I've never thought of these things as being old school though, just things I enjoy doing.

Smoke pre-1940 Kaywoodie Pipes with generally time frame accurate tobaccos (Prince Albert, Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh)

Sport a waxed, handlebar moustache

Believe in manners in general and still hold doors open for ladies

Sport dress hats (fedoras mostly)

Wear suspenders

I'm a big proponent of the idea of personal responsibility, hard work and integrity.

Earned a liberal arts degree (English/Sociology)

Read poetry and classic literature (Whitman, Thoreau, Emmerson)

Listen to classical music and operal

Proudly vote Republican 4 Life.

An observation: it seems like most of the responses frame "old school" into one of a the following categories:

style - hair, clothes, accessories
manners
personal ethic - work, respectful conduct
frugality

Is there more to "old school" than that?

An observation: it seems like most of the responses frame "old school" into one of a the following categories:

style - hair, clothes, accessories
manners
personal ethic - work, respectful conduct
frugality

Is there more to "old school" than that?

I would say that about sums it up...

use handkercheifs
Build my own bamboo fly rods and tie my own flies
Bake my own bread
Still prefer my LPs to CDs
Work to be kind and courteous.:001_smile

I don't know if it's 'old school', but I like to talk in a southern gentlemen-type manner....it's real fun to do on people you first meet.

This thread has brought a smile to my face.

A few that I find old school particularly at my age (29):

I enjoy shaving and consider it a hobby.

I listen to the arguments/viewpoints of others and consider them before replying.

I feel that t-shirts are great to mow the lawn in, but inappropriate when going out for a social occasion.

I find it relaxing to launder my own clothes and press/iron them before organizing them to their proper place in the closet.

I refer to others in public speaking generally as 'ladies and gentleman....'.

I enjoy reading, so much that I do it is how I spend the majority of my 'free time'.

I dont consider it 'weird' or 'gay' for a group of men to go out to dinner and fellowship.

I have an old fashioned address book.

The last time I played a video game, I was in 7th grade and it was on the original Nintendo system.

The last time I played a video game, I was in 7th grade and it was on the original Nintendo system.

I still keep a NES under my TV in my room. Don't play with it too much nowadays, but I do enjoy a game of Super Mario 1 or 3 when I do.

I even have a zapper for duck hunt.

Then I suppose I should offer a confession: I NEVER EVER won Super Mario Brothers. Even with the Game Genie that gave me an infinite number of lives! In fact, the ONLY video game I ever won on a system such as that was Maniac Mansion......still my absolute favorite game to this day.

Then I suppose I should offer a confession: I NEVER EVER won Super Mario Brothers. Even with the Game Genie that gave me an infinite number of lives! In fact, the ONLY video game I ever won on a system such as that was Maniac Mansion......still my absolute favorite game to this day.

I never really cared to win at Super Mario Brothers. I always just play for fun. My girlfriend plays to win; she beat the game a few times.

Oh man, I'm glad I beat it. If I hadn't I'd still be sitting in front of the TV in my parents house clicking away at the buttons. I imagine after 25 years or so I would have smelled terrible! :lol::lol::lol:

I 'train' old school.

Pull-ups, push-ups, running and kettlebells as well as nail-bending.

Haven't been to a gym for about 10 years.

I make my own bread.
I sometimes smoke my 1936 Gold Star pipe.
Most books I read were written pre-19th century.
I care about spelling and grammar.
I still use a paper dictionary.
I assist the elderly whenever the opportunity presents itself.
I shine my shoes before work.
I wear cufflinks when the occasion calls for it.
I have over 2000 pre-war blues recordings.
I own and play 'pre-electric' National resophonic guitars.
I go to a 'barber' not a 'stylist'.
I make my own shelves and bookcases as needed.

I like to BBQ with real charcoal, and I make sure my Chevy is shiny.

And, for most things, if I don't know how to do it, I learn and I do it.

Top Bottom