What's new

Thin to win!

After a long hiatus from this forum (just too busy, sorry), I finally have something I really want to share.

I usually whip up a nice sorta-thick lather on my face. There have been a few mornings lately where I had no time, so I squirted some shaving cream into my hands and quickly, vigorously applied a thin layer, then shaved. I had to admit afterwards that the shave was smooth and comfortable and near bbs (which has been allusive lately).

So today I returned to my soap and brush, but purposefully kept everything wetter and only applied a thin layer.

I enjoyed a smoother shave again with no irritation and had a bbs. Looks like my routine will be changing. Fun!

I use thinner lather now, too, mostly because I am using a shavette and I've heard that slicker is better.

Welcome back.

Oh, by the way, the word you were looking for when speaking about the difficulty of getting bbs is "elusive."

Oh, and I've also found that using a shave gel is pretty darned good, too. Something akin to the King of Shaves gel. Works great and is very fast.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome back!

Another fan of thin wet lather here. I find density of lather to be an obstacle, not an asset, in the hunt for a great shave.

I'll rally to that banner! Wetter = Slicker = Better. Got clued into this when learning straights. (But have to still have to "load it like you hate it" in some cases.)

I never understood why some say more water = slicker lather. Everytime I tried (hand lather and run some lather between my fingers to feel its texture and slickness) it is very slick early in the lathering process, with really not much water, then slickness drops as I add more and more water (it also incorporates more air wich is not what I am after but that is another subject). Anyways, I too like a very thin yet dense lather. For that, letting the puck soak some water seems to be the key.

I think it may be that when I build a huge lather onto my face, that hugeness becomes an impediment. Perhaps a dense, thin layer carries the goodness without getting in the way.

Welcome back!

Once upon a time I went for the thick ‘yogurt’ type lather that is often photographed. These days I use more water to get a slicker lather.

The point you make is that this is called ‘traditional wet shaving’ because hydration is key!

Welcome back!

Once upon a time I went for the thick ‘yogurt’ type lather that is often photographed. These days I use more water to get a slicker lather.

The point you make is that this is called ‘traditional wet shaving’ because hydration is key!

lol. Yup

I never understood why some say more water = slicker lather. Everytime I tried (hand lather and run some lather between my fingers to feel its texture and slickness) it is very slick early in the lathering process, with really not much water, then slickness drops as I add more and more water (it also incorporates more air wich is not what I am after but that is another subject). Anyways, I too like a very thin yet dense lather. For that, letting the puck soak some water seems to be the key.
I've noticed the exact same thing and I always check the lather with my fingers too. When I add water I lose slickness and gain only in volume. It might look like yogurt, but feels less slick compared to before I added those few drops.
Same with agitation.
I try to go for a thin layer of a dense lather. I add water just enough to pass the pasty texture and I am good to go. The razor, if it is rinsed, also brings some water and that allows it to glide nicely.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've noticed the exact same thing and I always check the lather with my fingers too. When I add water I lose slickness and gain only in volume. It might look like yogurt, but feels less slick compared to before I added those few drops.
Same with agitation.
I try to go for a thin layer of a dense lather. I add water just enough to pass the pasty texture and I am good to go. The razor, if it is rinsed, also brings some water and that allows it to glide nicely.

There's definitely a cut off point at which the slickness starts to deteriorate, but different products have that cut off at different points. I'll pick two creams as an example, St James of London and Taylor of Bond Street. Taylors is a much heavier lather at that cut off point than St James is, and I find St James to be fantastic, whilst Taylor's robs me of too much shave feel, and reduces closeness unless I'm a little heavy handed with the razor. Of course, if I'm heavy handed, with reduced feel of what's happening, there's a higher chance I'm going to cause irritation. I'll stick with St James of London.

I totally agree on the agitation. I do just enough in the bowl to get the bristles well coated, then start to apply it.

Top Bottom