What's new

Thin Cap Old Type Clone - Vites DE

Picked this up along with another purchase recently. I know absolutely nothing about it other than to speculate it's some sort of European clone of the Gillette thin cap OT. Other than a couple of wonky teeth it's not in terribly bad shape and would probably be good to go for a shave.

proxy.php

Either it was designed as a four piece razor, or the barrel has separated from the base plate:

proxy.php

I'm just speculating the barrel was at one time press fit to the base plate due to the crack at the end of the barrel (photo makes it look worse than it does in person):

proxy.php

This is the only marking on the entire razor:

proxy.php

Anyone else dealt with the Vites OT clone?

Definitely a French Single Ring clone, and I'm pretty sure it was originally a 3-piece razor just like a Gillette Single Ring.

Congrats, nice score, Lane! [emoji106]

Thanks Edgar! I wonder how long they cloned these. I'm sure King would have never tolerated that!
The original patents expired in 1921, he couldn't do anything about it. That's why they had to introduce the New Improved Gillette Razor, supposedly better than its predecessor and all the clones. [emoji2]

R

romsitsa

Nice one, I use a noname French clone (mint silver plating but a major crack in the handle) as a daily razor. For some unknown reason all of these have 13 teeth instead of 14, but shave the same as a thin cap Gillette.

Adam

Top Bottom