What's new

Thiers Issard. What's your opinion

I'm really hot to trot over a spartacus. Love the exaggerated spine. It's beautiful. But talked to two well experienced honemeister and they aare split. One says he won't touch them and that they have realky went down hill the past 5 years and the other says that take an extra step but no big deal and says they are great. What's your thoughts

Are they a pain to hone? I know some won't gone them. Why is that?
The Vintage TI are fine to hone. On the hard side but I've had harder Japanese and Swedish razors.
The new one are a bit harder and take more effort but I would not worry about it. It would only matter if you had to do extensive bevel work and take out a lot of metal, which you should not have to do on a new razor.
My new TI came shave ready. Even if you wanted to improve on the factory edge, we are only talking about taking a few microns.

I have honed many a TI - new and old - and the steel is wonderful. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to hone one.

Generally the new steel is better than the old but not by much IMHO. It's harder and holds it's edge longer.

I like and use the older TI's because they have character. Their styles are more my thing and I feel that their styles were of generally higher desirability. The newer TI's seem very cookie cutter in style so they are not my thing but their steel is very good. Different strokes for different folks though so if you like them you shouldn't hesitate to use them.

There also seems to be a fit and finish issue now and then with the newer TI's. Some may have issue with it and some will not. It's all in your preference. Either way they are excellent razors that will last a lifetime.

Chris

I've owned and honed both modern and vintage TI's. I prefer the vintage but can't say that there's anything wrong with the modern ones.

I personally do not shaving with the new c135... I've honed a ton of them and don't care for them... Now the le grelot old stock that they were selling a while back were fabulous

$Screenshot_2014-11-13-15-40-19.jpg
This is the one I'm after

I heard the factory sharpening is not quite where a lot of professional honers want the edge to be. I talked to one guy he said that he has to do a tiny bit of work to get the edge where he wants to be with a brand new TI razor but nothing crazy. He actually does it for free so I'm sure its not much work at all. I guess the new steel is a little stronger so it probably just takes a bit more work to hone than the vintage ones, which probably isn't a bad thing b/c it would hold its edge longer.

Top Bottom