What's new

Thiers Issard Question

when looking at these I would assume all are factory honed on convex stones.

on to my question:

so, if you are going to do you own hone work on these razors ( no convex)........I would assume you would have to rehone from bevel set again?

not sure how much convex stones would affect the blade bevel shape.

thanks all.

camo

Why do you get the impression they are honed on convex? I though that was mostly dovo. Is that TI also?

I would guess that if the convex is the finishing step on a slow ark, perhaps its not a huge apex change, like a thick piece of tape might be, but that’s a guess.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Pardon my ignorance but when you say a convex stone do you convex longitudinally or convex transversally?

the way i think it’s explained is both if i understand correctly, someone Pls correct me if i am wrong.

I've just read in some of the descriptions from sellers about convex use. honestly dont know enough to know if that is a maker/brand standard or specific to that singular sellers account.

thanks all.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can understand it if a stone is convex longitudinally. That would produce a bevel angle that is slightly less than if the stone was flat. When later honed on a flat stone, you would then get a double bevel.

If a stone is convex transversally, that would tend to produce a frowning edge. If convex both ways, both effects would occur.

I understand it to be like a super large spherical section. I’ve never tried one but i think it requires x strokes, iirc it allows the stone to follow any grind irregularities better but not completely sure if i remember correctly.

superiorshave has many videos and notes about it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I understand it to be like a super large spherical section. I’ve never tried one but i think it requires x strokes, iirc it allows the stone to follow any grind irregularities better but not completely sure if i remember correctly.

superiorshave has many videos and notes about it.
Sounds far too complicated for my skill level. I even find smiling edges a little difficult to hone. I'll stick with lapping films and flat balsa strops.

The stones used by Dovo is convex in one direction, creating a raised rounded spine, length-wise.

This results in only a small portion of the blade in contact with the stone at any given moment. The advantage is that when you have a blade that is not perfectly straight, either a smile or a frown, or a warped blade, you will make contact with the edge at some stage. Imagine a butchers round steel for kitchen knives. If you place a razor on it touching the spine and the edge, you will see a similar effect. This does not change the bevel angle, it will be the same as a perfectly straight edge on a flat hone.

In order to hone the whole edge, it is essential that you use cross, circular or elliptical strokes.

Short answer to the original question - Even if TI uses convex stones, it will not be a problem honing on a flat stone, and the bevel angle will be the same.

when looking at these I would assume all are factory honed on convex stones.

on to my question:

so, if you are going to do you own hone work on these razors ( no convex)........I would assume you would have to rehone from bevel set again?

not sure how much convex stones would affect the blade bevel shape.

thanks all.

camo

No, you do not need to reset a bevel unless there is an issue.
Hone as normal.
Most everybody uses flat or supposedly flat hones.
A miniscule number of people use or have tried the convex hones and you hear almost nothing from them now.
It is simply unnecessary.

The stones used by Dovo is convex in one direction, creating a raised rounded spine, length-wise....

Short answer to the original question - Even if TI uses convex stones, it will not be a problem honing on a flat stone, and the bevel angle will be the same.

Actually a razorworks hone is now raised in each axis x/y, the curve put in on the long axis is exclusively there for making the cutting edge angle reduced and hollowing the bevel plane while the short axis curve is for circumventing warp issues. You can see this clearly on the TI youtube account process video.

Emulating a cutler's wheel's affect's been written of since the earliest days of full hollow grinding, so the opposite of a new concept. But the bevel angle you make will not be identical from flat stone as with a wheel or any stone with raised arc along its longest axis; angle will be slightly less in the latter, the shorter the diameter of the last stone (going down to a 4" wheel in mid-19th. c. texts in extreme cases) the thinner the edge/cutting angle and more fragile the blade. How could a flat file (like a normal whetstone) and any round wheel (whetstone made curved upward along the long axis) grind in the same angle?

In doiong a 'deep dive' on this in old books, I can find many 19th c. references to honing on stones with upward curved long axis and/or using wheels to finish. But I couldn't find a published reference to narrowing the contact patch to avoid warp problems. Maybe back in the day, they had so much labor they rightly tossed anything not flat instead of trying to alter their stones in order to sell it to the end user.

Actually a razorworks hone is now raised in each axis x/y, the curve put in on the long axis is exclusively there for making the cutting edge angle reduced and hollowing the bevel plane while the short axis curve is for circumventing warp issues. You can see this clearly on the TI youtube account process video.

Can you link the vid?

i see 2 TI related vids that show the honing

Starts @3

And similarly

@1:57

Top Bottom