What's new

Thiers-Issard or Ralf Aust?

I wonder if this is a typical example of the warped blades on some TIs.
View attachment 1277839
View attachment 1277840
Both sides honed (partially, lots of work to do yet) on a diamond plate. On one side, the middle of the bevel is the highest point; on the other, the toe and heel are.

This razor was bought new 30 years ago and has been kept in its box until a little over a year ago.

DrMatt357 has a video that shows you how to evaluate the geometry of a razor blade using the Tap and Wobble test.

One of the best ways to hone that type of razor is on a very narrow hone. If you have a hone that is 3/4" thick or greater, stand the hone on its side and hone that way. That will make it easier to apply greater pressure to those areas that need it most. If you try honing the razor on a wider diamond hone, you may remove so much material that you grind though hardest part of the steel. A warped blade is difficult to hone, but it will still shave. It is not necessary to get it perfectly straight; that might be impossible.

One of the best ways to hone that type of razor is on a very narrow hone. If you have a hone that is 3/4" thick or greater, stand the hone on its side and hone that way. That will make it easier to apply greater pressure to those areas that need it most. If you try honing the razor on a wider diamond hone, you may remove so much material that you grind though hardest part of the steel. A warped blade is difficult to hone, but it will still shave. It is not necessary to get it perfectly straight; that might be impossible.

Thanks for that. Great information. It goes against my inclination to make perfect flat bevels on all of my razors, but I can see that I might have to compromise on that from time to time.

You mention grinding through the hardest part of the steel. Are TI razors differentially hardened?

Thanks for that. Great information. It goes against my inclination to make perfect flat bevels on all of my razors, but I can see that I might have to compromise on that from time to time.

You mention grinding through the hardest part of the steel. Are TI razors differentially hardened?

When steel is heated to high temperatures and then cooled, the parts closer to the edge are thinner and will cool more quickly than the thicker spine. Thus, all straight razors have a difference in hardening.

When steel is heated to high temperatures and then cooled, the parts closer to the edge are thinner and will cool more quickly than the thicker spine. Thus, all straight razors have a difference in hardening.

Thank you. That makes sense, and I am glad to know it.

No ones perfect it seems.

After an excellent first experience with Ralf Aust I bought two more of his razors. Unfortunately, the additional razors were not the same quality as the first. Both suffered from bad grinds / warps. One was salvageable with a very uneven bevel but it shaves. I’m ok with that. The other I was not able to hone at all. There is zero contact on the reverse side and it won’t take an edge. Maybe with a very thin hone you could it but I don’t have one of those. Nor do I think that a new razor should require special honing equipment. My assessment is that this razor is totally unusable and is ready for the bin. I wouldn’t even sell it.

Mistakes happen and I don’t have an issue with that. After spending many thousands of dollars in shaving gear I’ve only had two items I felt were faulty and had to be returned. I don’t think I’m overly picky. The first time a replacement was sent out quickly, free of charge, no questions asked and I wasn’t even asked to return the faulty item. The vender did the right thing and I quietly disposed the faulty item and never mentioned it.

This time the Invisible Edge and Ralf Aust both dug their heels in and told me the razor was acceptable. I’m pretty disappointed with this response after singing both of their praises in the past. This review is intended to add balance to the conversation rather than bash anyone. I’ve had a good RA razor but I would be very reluctant to buy another one. They are simply too unreliable for me now.

As always a pictures says a thousand words.

CCE5938F-FF7B-4BF1-BC8C-E5B32523EDCC.jpeg
D6C7F74D-DEF2-42C0-BF98-59D8187E0EA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Tom

I've had a response from Ralf Aust and I'm afraid he isn't prepared to replace the razor, the rationale being that not all razors are 100% straight. He doesn't think there should be a problem sharpening it, so if you do find that difficult, despite my tips, then I would suggest you send it back to him and ask him to do it for you.

Regards
Adam
The Invisible Edge Ltd.

On 16/06/2021 20:44, Tom Lambrecht wrote:
Adam

Many thanks for the tips. Being a new razor I’d like to see if Ralf will replace it. An uneven bevel doesn’t bother me as long as I can get an edge. This is my third from Ralf Aust and it seems to be an outlier.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Tom

On 17 Jun 2021, at 00:11, Adam - The Invisible Edge <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Tom

Clearly the bevel thins on one one side and widens on the other. It is not uncommon for this to be the case to some extent although that is quite pronounced.

If you are wondering how to hone it then I would try 2, possibly even 3, layers of tape. Also when making the return stroke (ie you are honing the side with the thinner bevel) apply some pressure in the middle of the spine throughout the stroke. I think you may well find that does the trick.

Or are you wanting me to see if Ralf will replace it?

Regards
Adam
The Invisible Edge Ltd.

On 16/06/2021 11:36, Tom Lambrecht wrote:
Adam

Admittedly it’s been a while but I’ve just pulled this Ralf Aust razor out to put it into my active rotation. It’s the first razor that I ever haven’t been able to put an edge on. It’s so badly warped that you can’t put a bevel onto both sides in places. Does this look right to you?

Tom

@Tomo, this is very disappointing (so far). I would not have thought that such a warped blade would be within the acceptable range for Aust. It really makes me re-evaluate my opinions. I don't want to do that, because I too have a really excellent Aust razor, with the cheapest scales.

@Tomo, this is very disappointing (so far). I would not have thought that such a warped blade would be within the acceptable range for Aust. It really makes me re-evaluate my opinions. I don't want to do that, because I too have a really excellent Aust razor, with the cheapest scales.
Agreed. As far as I’m concerned it’s case closed on this razor. I have half a mind to send it back to Germany at my cost but what’s the point? Just because someone magically gets an edge on it with some fancy honing technique does not mean that it will be usable or easily maintainable for me on an ongoing basis.

I’ve had good razors from Ralf Aust and I’m pretty sure that this razor is the exception rather than the rule. I’m surprised that both the manufacturer and seller are happy with this product but ultimately that’s their decision. Personally I wouldn’t feel right about selling it on.

I don’t have any interest in taking it further. I will just post my experience here to add some balance to the conversation. I have plenty of razors and can accept one in ten being a dud.

That really surprises me, Ralf Aust quality is normally about as good as any. Many razormeisters use a belt grinder to shape the blade. Since one side is ground at a time, it is quite possible to get a blade that is not even on both sides. From the photos/videos I have seen, Herr Aust uses one of the older German double-wheel grinders that grinds both sides of the blade at the same time. That should make it easier to keep the blade symmetrical.

@Tomo I have not purchased a new "quality" straight yet. I had decided upon a RA, based largely on the praises sung here for them. I appreciate the reality check that there is always a chance of an experience on either end of the spectrum from any manufacturer, sadly.

I may still end up with a RA as all new razors seem to have that "chance" of being good or disappointing, but at least I will be prepared. Sorry for your experience and hat is off to you for keeping your cool in a frustrating engagement.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
For anyone buying new German or French razors, make sure that you have an understanding with the dealer before you buy.

@Tomo - You can hone those on the corner of a stone, you don’t need the side of a stone. Everyone has 4 narrow hones on every rectangular stone, lol.

9B41E831-01A2-4820-A420-D150FDA8032B.jpeg

Tomo,

That is a shame about your RA. From the pics it appears to be a bent blade as both the toe and heel touch at the same time. I have seen more instances of blades being bent/warped down the axis of the spine which is commonly attributable to the quenching process. There is a Dovo video showing how they hammer the blanks straight before they grind them. I wonder if that was somewhat overlooked on your razor.

Anyway, I am in your camp on reconsidering blanket praise after seeing your razor. Very unfortunate and somewhat surprising for RA.

Top Bottom