What's new

Thiers-Issard or Ralf Aust?

How do you like the French tip sheep and wolf TI? if it good for precision work around mustache?
It is, but I muted the "tip of the tip" with a glass bottle since it turned out to be very good at cutting skin too. This very minor alteration does in no way reduce its effectiveness as a very good contour shaper.
Edit: It is a very fine razor, but please remember that the hardness of the c135 steel makes the blade more rigid than other full hollow razors. Personally I don't see that as a bad thing.

I swear that Mr. Aust must have the patience of a saint and sniper combined.
I was wanting a 6/8 shoulderless with Spanish point but there we no listings on his site. Having run across a photo of one on the web, I was jonesin' bad, so I sent him the photo below and drove him nuts with emails for a couple hours one night at work.

R_Aust.jpg

After corresponding the night of the 7th, I swear he had the straight made exactly like the photo, except I chose Rosewood scales, and it was accepted by German Post by the end of the next day.

I love that guy

Most of the blades Ralf Aust sells are simple in design, but highly functional and well crafted. However, as a master razorsmith, he does possess the skills to produce more decorative razors as well.

The difference between RA and TI razors is that you can count on the RA razors being close to perfect whereas the TI may have some minor flaws.

One thing some folks do not like about Ralf Aust razors is that he tends to use spacers at the pivot rather than wedges. I have never found that to be an issue on mine.

E4038000-3780-4A5A-9CF5-6BAC34A7B8C2.jpeg
E67ABDEF-A1C4-470F-BD23-F74ECF841187.jpeg
0A30478A-D7F8-4308-8050-FB02C262A7DC.jpeg
E035F5EB-7322-4A53-82BE-6C85AFDB5DC9.jpeg

The sleepers in the straight razor arena right now are the exquisite and insanely sharp offerings from Ertan Suer of Turkey.
Using French forged blades, Ertan is grinding edges so keen that it‘s almost surreal. Suer blades are thinner than an anorexia convention. Fit and finish are excellent. Only a matter of time before he gets “discovered”...and you know what can happen then. All the above are 6/8. Bocote, horn, olive wood, and cocobolo. Good stuff.

toss up, imho.
i find ti blades to be a tad harder than the aust.
pro, the harder steel edge lasts longer.
con, the softer steel delivers a slightly keener edge.
just my impressions.
enjoy both and see for yourself!

View attachment 1135894

View attachment 1135896
I'm trying to decide between these exact two razors. Do you still have both of them? Which one do you like the most?
Does round tip work ok for trimming and detail work?

View attachment 1253908View attachment 1253909View attachment 1253911View attachment 1253913
The sleepers in the straight razor arena right now are the exquisite and insanely sharp offerings from Ertan Suer of Turkey.
Using French forged blades, Ertan is grinding edges so keen that it‘s almost surreal. Suer blades are thinner than an anorexia convention. Fit and finish are excellent. Only a matter of time before he gets “discovered”...and you know what can happen then. All the above are 6/8. Bocote, horn, olive wood, and cocobolo. Good stuff.
How do you get one of Suer's razors?

Couple of sources:
The Superior Shave is a stocking vendor. Good, quick service. Shipping via USPS.
Another venue is Rasoir-Sabre. Essentially this is dealing directly with the maker. Although shipped from France, never a problem.
Both legit choices.

Couple of sources:
The Superior Shave is a stocking vendor. Good, quick service. Shipping via USPS.
Another venue is Rasoir-Sabre. Essentially this is dealing directly with the maker. Although shipped from France, never a problem.
Both legit choices.
So on superior shave I see the Rasoir-sabre but I do not find the Turkey Suer or what ever lol. Are they one and the same or .... I tried searching the Suer on Superior shave website but nothing...

This probly reads like "please do my leg work for me" :(

Rasoir Sabre is the company of Ertan Suer of Turkey. He makes the razors in France. His operation (as I understand it) is based in Turkey. Jarrod at TSS can offer much more detail.

I’ve never owned Ralf Aust but the Thiers Issard Damascus I own is one of my favorite blades to shave. The TI can hold an edge like no other blade I own and cut hair like a hot knife through butter.
5CF46595-911A-47AF-AED9-C967F4EF9126.jpeg

I like the added weight, and I don’t like the “singing”.

Full hollow are “sometimes” touchier to hone, as you must be more delicate.

I’m doing more research, and it seems that the below three models of Thiers Issard’s come in 6/8” inch and half hollow:

Special Coiffer ($150ish)
Le Grelot ($180ish)
Dreadnought (cannot find price)

Is there a place that someone can link me to that has the different TI models, and what their differences are?

Thanks
So did you end up buying one?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s difficult to disagree with @Eastcoast30 post. If I was sure to get a good modern TI, I’d rather have it because I like the hard C135 steel. The wavy bevels make them difficult to recommend though, even if they’ve all shaved like a million bucks.

I am also considering buying a TI. I own one Ralf Aust. I have yet to put a bad edge on this razor with different honing progressions. The full belly hollow grind is flawless.
I ma not interested in a shiny show piece if it does not perform well.
I would gladly give away some edge retention for added toughness. I have no experience with the C135 steel.
I only have a couple of Hart steel razors, which can take a good edge, but can be difficult to hone due to their hardness. They can also suffer from micro chipping (at least mine did). They do well with fine CBN pastes, but i prefer the feel of a natural stone finish.

Does the C135 steel have a finer carbide structure/size than the standard o1 tool steel does?
And then there is the uneven grind and warped blade issue. Is this problem on most new TI's?

Maybe there is just one way to find out:)

1622805532278.png

To buy or not to buy:)

Does the C135 steel have a finer carbide structure/size than the standard o1 tool steel does?
And then there is the uneven grind and warped blade issue. Is this problem on most new TI's?

It's my understanding that the 135 in C135 stands for ~1.35 percent carbon content, and that C135 steel contains more carbon content than the steel used to make many of the Solingen razors.

Of three new TIs I have taken delivery of, one had a warped blade and two had straight blades with good geometry. Razor two was a replacement for razor one - so I am 2 for 3 for delivery, and 2 for 2 for keepers. When you get a good one, you are in for a terrific experience. My advice is to go for it but to clearly communicate to the seller that you want to buy a new TI with a straight blade and ask them what assurance they can provide.

C135 is hard and you can feel the difference between the C135 and a Solingen blade when you hone. That said, honing C135 is not rocket science - just takes a bit more work to dial in. It took a few tries, but I am now able to put a sharp, smooth edge on my new TIs that passes HHT.

Reactions: JPO
I wonder if this is a typical example of the warped blades on some TIs.
1623021526117.png

1623021549942.png

Both sides honed (partially, lots of work to do yet) on a diamond plate. On one side, the middle of the bevel is the highest point; on the other, the toe and heel are.

This razor was bought new 30 years ago and has been kept in its box until a little over a year ago.

Top Bottom