What's new

Thiers-Issard or Ralf Aust?

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Why are you wed to the idea of a half hollow?

I like the added weight, and I don’t like the “singing”.

Full hollow are “sometimes” touchier to hone, as you must be more delicate.

I’m doing more research, and it seems that the below three models of Thiers Issard’s come in 6/8” inch and half hollow:

Special Coiffer ($150ish)
Le Grelot ($180ish)
Dreadnought (cannot find price)

Is there a place that someone can link me to that has the different TI models, and what their differences are?

Thanks

I have bought 5 Austs and 3 TI's recently I love all of them. The TI's are very smooth in feel and are definitely a luxurious razor. The Austs just impress with the feeling of German efficiency, if you will excuse the national stereotype.

View attachment 1135786

View attachment 1135794

I would very much like one or two more TI's but may not feel the need to buy any more of Mr Aust's razors for a while.
Those RA’s are beautiful. He uses some top notch materials in his scales. I’ve noticed a lot of the models he releases now feature a shoulderless design. Did you request this as a feature or do they just come this way now? The shoulderless looks great by the way.

I got my Le Grelot straight from France. These guys seem to have the best selection but you have to navigate the website in French. They were also kind enough to send me pictures of actual razors to choose from after placing the order. This is a nice feature when there is so much variation in the wood grain.

AE5A91F4-FD7E-4439-AEAE-B75F6D695690.jpeg
F3E43587-00F2-4BB3-BCD0-B5592AC31F6C.jpeg

I like the added weight, and I don’t like the “singing”.

Full hollow are “sometimes” touchier to hone, as you must be more delicate.

I’m doing more research, and it seems that the below three models of Thiers Issard’s come in 6/8” inch and half hollow:

Special Coiffer ($150ish)
Le Grelot ($180ish)
Dreadnought (cannot find price)

Is there a place that someone can link me to that has the different TI models, and what their differences are?

Thanks
Check out theinvisableedge.com, as I recall they were offering half hollows.

The Thiers Issard web site lists the models and their corresponding grinds.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
I had a similar dilemma not that long ago. Then I consulted some pros and decided to go for the Koraat.

Dangit!

Now I'm looking at the Koraat 14-2.0. (Click on the link).

Not 6/8"...and not half hollow.

But the width is a tad short of 1" inch, which should give me some of the weight I wanted.

And someone I truly respect has also recommended this straight razor.

Hmmm...

I acquired 10 straights ranging from 200 to 750$ the smoothest and best shave i got was with the cheapest vintage japanese one. Because the guy that honed it is a maestro honer. Shaveready.net is his site. Im gonna send some of my razors for him to hone as well might end up sending all of them. Pretty much between the TI and RA. Is the honer. The RA will probably come with a better factory edge then the Ti but both are more then enough to give you a nice smooth shave, if you got a maestro honer honing your razor.

CC48CFBC-63C7-457B-8C13-853D6D1F8F4B.jpeg

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Go for it, you won't be disappointed. Actually, use the customizer to create the SR of your dreams 😊.

Already on it.

Sent them a request for a final "US Dollar total" - shipping, VAT, and all.

Have not made my decision yet, but the Koraat Model 14-2.0 is definitely in my sights now.

It's gonna be a Korat 14-2.0 or a Thiers Issard.

By the way, I also found this web page (CLICK HERE) to order a Thiers Issard straight from the manufacturer.

Weird how they will let you choose the label to place on your SR.

Already on it.

Sent them a request for a final "US Dollar total" - shipping, VAT, and all.

Have not made my decision yet, but the Model 14-2.0 is definitely in my sights now.

It's gonna be a Korat 14-2.0 or a Thiers Issard.
Well, there is no VAT, when selling outside EU. And given the Austrian VAT is 20%, it's a big item. So, Ulrik (the guy who makes them) will basically discount the price for you. It's on his website.

1596783039171.png

BTW, this is my next one:

1596782994520.png

What I can tell you from my interactions with him is that he's a reasonable guy, so you can bargain. I got quite a few customizations on my razor, which according to customizer would've cost me north of €300, but I got it down for €213... go figure. And the thing I like about dealing with Ulrik is that he's basically a one-man show. You send him an email, he responds within 24h. You call him on the phone, he speaks with you. You won't have that kind of customer intimacy dealing with any mass-production company be it TI, Dovo, Boker et al.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
The person from Koraat just got back to me.

Said it would be 272.50 Euros. ($323 US dollars).

Drats...a bit too rich for me.

My max budget (if I play the Birthday game to a science with the wifey), is $250 US dollars.

Might have to bargain, or relook at the Thiers Issard's again.

UPDATE: Just removed the VAT, and it is still at $299.00 US dollars. :glare:

The person from Koraat just got back to me.

Said it would be 272.50 Euros. ($323 US dollars).

Drats...a bit too rich for me.

My max budget (if I play the Birthday game to a science with the wifey), is $250 US dollars.

Might have to bargain, or relook at the Thiers Issard's again.
There is a trick in the process. If you open the customizer, that by default has an extra charge, even if you don't customize anything.

So, instead of customizing it and sending the request form, write him an email or contact him via FB (this works best) and ask for a quote for a non-customized 14.2.0. You can still choose the color of the scales, that comes at no extra cost.

I have a couple of each.

Aust razors tend to be high quality and are reasonably priced. They are made by a master level craftsman who takes great pride in his work. He does use a spacer for rather than a wedge between the scales.

TI razors tend to be more expensive and quality level can vary as they are made in a factory rather than by a single craftsman. They use the TI C135 Carbonsong steel which is high in carbon and very hard. They are a pain to hone, but they hold their edge well.

That pretty much sums it up for me too...

Having said that, the largest group of razors in my collection are Austs, followed by Friodurs.

On the French side, I own more vintage Grelots (the company was later absorbed into TI) than proper TI razors.
While I have not seen this on any of my razors, I do recall posts that TI’s are prone to develop water stains (superficial corrosion) very quickly - even during a single shave, as one post claimed.

B

Those RA’s are beautiful. He uses some top notch materials in his scales. I’ve noticed a lot of the models he releases now feature a shoulderless design. Did you request this as a feature or do they just come this way now? The shoulderless looks great by the way.
I bought these 5 Aust's from a dealer in England and just bought what I liked the look of. I do prefer shoulderless, mostly.

Dangit!

Now I'm looking at the Koraat 14-2.0. (Click on the link).

Not 6/8"...and not half hollow.

But the width is a tad short of 1" inch, which should give me some of the weight I wanted.

And someone I truly respect has also recommended this straight razor.

Hmmm...

Koraat makes fine razors, but - like some other big blade artisan brands - I don’t particularly care for them because of their unwieldy size.
Some people get a kick out of big blades and I admit to galloping into that direction too in the early stages of my shaving career, but I soon settled on 6/8 as my favourite size, after a few years started to appreciate again my long neglected 5/8 razors, and now 5/8 to 6/8 defines many favourite range

For me, the size of a blade is a compromise between maneuverability around the tighter corners of my face and ability to remove lather from the flatter areas.
Just because I can handle a 9/8 blade with ease does not mean that I am particularly attracted to it and consequently I reach only rarely for my big Koraat that came into my possession in a deal that I just could not refuse.

Come to think of it, during the heydays of straight shaving days blades bigger than 6/8 were fairly rare and I believe there may have been a good reason for it - besides their disproportionate costs.

B.

Last edited:
I have 5 Aust's and only 3 TI's so have had to order another TI, it's only fair.
The best is whichever I am using at the time, today an Aust in African Blackwood.
Filli's maybe as good or better, can't be a lot better though.

I hope that I don't sound too arrogant, but to me it's obvious that you subconsciously already have decided for both.

Ralf Aust makes fantastic full hollow razors that are hard to beat when it comes to shaving properties. They look good, but there's no way to miss that they are designed to be good tools and nothing else. That's why I own one of each size of razor (5/8, 6/8 and 7/8) that Herr Aust makes and not more than so since I see no esthetical reason to buy more than that. Who would buy two hammers of the same size even if they are excellent?

When it comes to Thiers Issard though the razors are most often as much art as razors and they are good razors too. That is if you like extremely hard steel like I do. I haven't counted my TI razors, but you can see them in the photograph below. Not all razor brands add to the attractiveness of a display cabinet, but those made by TI certainly do.

So my advice is to get an Aust for the quality and a TI for both beauty and quality. As mentioned above there are people who have been disappointed with the TI quality. Personally I've never had any issues. Then again if a razor cost as much as a TI does the disappointment if the quality doesn't live up to the price will be considerable and more often expressed, with all right.

View attachment 1135772View attachment 1135771
How do you like the French tip sheep and wolf TI? if it good for precision work around mustache?

I hope that I don't sound too arrogant, but to me it's obvious that you subconsciously already have decided for both.

Sounds like your original question has morphed from "Which one?" to "Which one first?".

If you want a bargain, you can get the ‘Basic Black’ model from The Invisible Edge (scaled in black plastic), and have them rescaled to suit you later on if you want.

I will second what Steve said. I recently bought a TI Basic Black that I am really happy with. I went for the 7/8 inch version with a thumb notch.

Top Bottom