What's new

Thiers Issard 5/8 Straight.

Hello Gents,

I was hoping to ask for the general consensus on this Thiers Issard Singing Straight Razor 5/8".
http://www.fendrihan.com/fendrihan-...zor-black-scales-p-3432.html?cPath=116_22_109

I have never used a true straight, only a shavette and was looking for something good to start out with.

So is this a razor that is worth the price? Does it shave well?

What about this kit?
http://www.fendrihan.com/thiers-issard-complete-straight-razor-black-save-p-904.html?cPath=116_7_107
Does it contain everything a newbie straight shaver would need to get started?

I believe the razor above is the one included in the kit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
We don't really comment on pricing and such here, but I can say that Alfred (Fendrihan) is great to deal with. There are several great places to start out with when it comes to straights: our hobbyists, the BST, and whipped dog come to mind immediately.

As to whether it will shave well or not. YOU are the one which will actually be doing the shave. Outside of some total junk razors, just about any razor will take an edge.

Since you've already used a shavette, I'm going to say that you will easily adapt to "normal" straights. A shavette is a real straight in my book.

Thanks rockviper, I was not trying to get an answer re:pricing, more I was hoping to know whether the kit contained everything a straight shaver needs. And whether Theirs Issard was a good and trustworthy brand?

I understand that I will be the one shaving, it was more a question of whether the brand name carries weight.

Looks like a nice first straight. The round point makes it slightly more forgiving for a new SR shaver, and the 5/8 size is big enough to have a solid feel, but small enough to be easily maneuverable in tight spots. The C135 steel holds an edge quite nicely, once it's been properly honed to be shave ready.

As as for the kit, if you already have brushes/etc, I'd pass on it. Just pick up a cheap-ish beginner strop (Whipped Dog's poor man's strop seems quite popular) and the razor. If your razor is truly shave ready, just stropping should keep it useable for quite some time.

Fendrihan is great to deal with in my experience.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My profile is slightly misleading. I am currently living in Ottawa for school
Cheater!:tongue_sm

TI is a well respected brand; you'll be happy with it, for sure. I'm going to assume you already have a brush, soap and whatnot, and all you really need is a blade and strop, yes? If so, look to buy the two of them rather than a bundled kit. Send Alfred an eMail (via Fendrihan's contact page) and ask for the B&B discount code, providing him with your username. They'll send you a newly generated code that you can apply to your sales. Note: if you use the code, free shipping is gone, so check the price difference at the end to determine which is better for you.

You will eventually want to sharpen your blade as well. A strop only goes so far in edge maintenance. For that, I would recommend also picking up a BST razor or Gold Dollar from our hobbyists (not from the 'bay), so you don't destroy your TI while learning.

Every Theirs Issard I have holds a great edge. I like the look of their scales and they are just generally pleasing to my eyes so I reach for them often. Great company.

Last I checked: Alfred doesn't do honing. Don't get me wrong: he's awesome to deal with and I'd happily buy from him again...
Can anyone confirm if he's doing any honing of the blades he sells?

The only Ontario shop that did honing when I looked into it was Phil at classicedge.

Top Bottom