What's new

Thick Beards and DE shaving

Hello I am new to this forum, but I got interested in DE shaving last year after stumbling onto the Mensessentials site.

Anyway, here's my problem:

I have been shaving with T&H Ultimate comfort cream, a starter badger brush, and a Sensor XL for the past few months after switching over from an electric razor. I usually shave in the shower because my skin is sensitive and I tend to get less irritation than if I shave after I take a shower. I have been getting decent results with my current routine, and I am much happier with it than my old electric.

I decided to try out using a DE after reading some posts on this forum, so I purchased a Merkur HD and put a fresh Merkur blade on it. I tried it out a couple of times this weekend, and had terrible results. I tried to shave with a very light touch and with the grain, but had several problems.

First of all, my beard is VERY thick and wiry, especially around my chin/moustache area, so the entire time I was shaving that area with the HD, the blade was tugging at my beard. It was extremely uncomfortable and I nicked my chin a few times. I couldn't seem to stop the blade from dragging and tugging no matter what I did with the HD. The rest of my face is not as thick as my chin, but it was still a problem if I tried to shave across or against the grain. I know that my technique is not great yet, but this does not seem to be a technique problem to me.

My question is, do other people with thick beards like me have success with DE shaving? My initial impression is that it would work great for men blessed with thin beards, but for us with barbed wire hair it just isn't effective.
I would like to get into DE shaving, but if I can't get equal or better results than I get with my Sensor, I guess I have no choice but to abandon DE shaving.

Any help from others with thick beards would be appreciated!

Hello, welcome to B&B, and do you have a first name? :wink:

Yes you can be a successful DE shaver with a thick beard. I certainly fall into that category. As for your terrible results, it sounds like you don't have the blade angle correct. With a fresh Merkur blade and good prep, you should be slicing your way to happiness. Remember that a DE is a different beast than the Sensor you are used to. Proper angle is with the handle of the razor much closer to horizontal. The old trick is to place the razor head against your skin with the handle completely horizontal, then slowly lower it until you just begin to cut. If you don't get this right, you will just be scraping the whiskers off, which is not a good thing. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and check out the FAQ as well.

Thank you for the reply. I go by Brannon.

I will definitely try to work on the angle. Also, the T&H cream seems to work okay, but are there any other creams or soaps that help soften thick beards?
I've heard that the HD is good for beginners, but are there other one's that are more effective for thick beards?

My hair is also very thick and coarse - and I started out the same way (with Sensor, brush and cream). The quality of my brush and cream were very high, however. I haven't tried the brands you're using, but you may want to try a Taylors Cream and a Super badger brush, because lather is so important.

It also was an adjusment for my face with the DE - the first week gave me the worst shaves I ever had. Second week, better but not as good as with the Sensor. After about four weeks - unbelievable! A lot of it is technique, to be sure. But I found the lather, again, was the most important factor.

Are you using a mug? Are you sure you have the right consistency of water to cream? Are you swirling long enough?

When I shave, I have to apply some pressure (not as much as with the disposable cartridge) on the first pass - but the blade angle has to be perfect. I miss a lot of hair, but on the second pass - with very little pressure, I get it all. Some areas I'm against the grain, some I'm with the grain.

Also, even though I'm relatively young and my skin doesn't sag - I have to pull up on my sideburns, down on my neck, and every which way in between to make sure the skin behind the stroke of the bade is taught(sp?), tight, not loose, whatever.

The shower works for some people, but as a beginner, taking your time at the sink in front of a mirror is much easier in my opinion. You can also reach for the styptic pencil easier. :blush:

Give it a month and you'll be glad you did. Technique is more than just blade angle and speed of stroke and it takes time.

Good luck!

Brannon,

Welcome to B&B.

In order to achieve a great DE shave, there are several factors involved. An important thing to remember is that you have spent every shave of your life training yourself to shave with tools and products that are very different than what you are now trying. Patience as you learn the necessary new skills can be difficult and sometimes painful. Hang in there, though, and you will eventually be rewarded with healthy skin and a smooth face.

Some of the critical new skills include beard prep, lathering, razor angle (as Scotto mentioned), and maintaining a light touch. All of these things will require some practice to perfect.

For great info on lathering, see the following post:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9
A great lather can cover a multitude of sins.

Additionally, check out the review section of the board. You should be able to find good info on shaving creams and soaps that provide what you are looking for.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Brannon,
I've also heard of gentlemen with very tough beards softening them up by applying hair conditioner to their beard in the shower and leaving it on during the shower. Some leave it on and lather right on top of it as well.

I'd agree that trying to learn to shave with a DE in the shower is probably a mistake. You're going to try to rush too much, and if you do go as slow as you should you're going to run out of hot water.

Other than that, read up and work on your lathering, blade angle, and technique. Most of all practice, practice, and practice.:001_smile

Greetings Brannon,

Welcome to B&B! I too fall into the tuff wiry beard classification. You've received excellent advice above. I would add you consider picking up a tub of Taylor's Avocado shaving cream. It has exceptional lubricity and moisturizing qualities providing an additional buffer while you work on your technique. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for all the great advice. I plan on upgrading to a Vulfix 2234 and getting some Taylors Avocado when I get paid this Friday. :thumbup1:

I read some posts on this board that said the Merkur Slant Bar is good for people with tough beards, but is this too aggressive for someone who is still learning? In general, I find that the less passes I have to do the better. I try to avoid doing more than 2 passes (with the grain/across the grain) because I find I get the least amount of irritation.

mbneville said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I plan on upgrading to a Vulfix 2234 and getting some Taylors Avocado when I get paid this Friday. :thumbup1:

I read some posts on this board that said the Merkur Slant Bar is good for people with tough beards, but is this too aggressive for someone who is still learning? In general, I find that the less passes I have to do the better. I try to avoid doing more than 2 passes (with the grain/across the grain) because I find I get the least amount of irritation.

IMO, yes. This razor is a real test of how good your technique is. It will quickly point out all flaws with the gentleness of a warhead. I shaved with an HD for 6-7 months before using the slant and still had some minor issues to work out. I think it is a good razor but one that demands your best.

Just to add to your options Brannon, I have read posts from men with thick beards and they seem to like injector razors a lot. I tried a PAL adjustable injector and didn't care for it, but lots of folks swear by them, everyone is different. I think the idea is that the injector blades are thicker and can handle tougher, thicker beards.

Brannon, try a Feather blade. No tugging! :smile: I just bought a hundred of them. Merkur blades feel like they try to pull out my whiskers instead of cut them. :thumbdown

Welcome Brannon, I shaved for about three months before using a slant bar....wish I didn't wait so long. Makes shaving a thick beard so much easier.

The only thing I can say, since my beard is the exact opposite (very thin and easily worked with) is that DE shavers have been around for many years before the first terrible cartridge razor appeared on the scene. No doubt that DE shavers came across beards such as yours in the years since they first were released (probably around 1900). So it is doubtless, in my mind that DE shavers can handle your beard with ease.

Can't offer more than that but hopefully I have helped.

Hello I am new to this forum, but I got interested in DE shaving last year after stumbling onto the Mensessentials site.

Anyway, here's my problem:

I have been shaving with T&H Ultimate comfort cream, a starter badger brush, and a Sensor XL for the past few months after switching over from an electric razor. I usually shave in the shower because my skin is sensitive and I tend to get less irritation than if I shave after I take a shower. I have been getting decent results with my current routine, and I am much happier with it than my old electric.

I decided to try out using a DE after reading some posts on this forum, so I purchased a Merkur HD and put a fresh Merkur blade on it. I tried it out a couple of times this weekend, and had terrible results. I tried to shave with a very light touch and with the grain, but had several problems.

First of all, my beard is VERY thick and wiry, especially around my chin/moustache area, so the entire time I was shaving that area with the HD, the blade was tugging at my beard. It was extremely uncomfortable and I nicked my chin a few times. I couldn't seem to stop the blade from dragging and tugging no matter what I did with the HD. The rest of my face is not as thick as my chin, but it was still a problem if I tried to shave across or against the grain. I know that my technique is not great yet, but this does not seem to be a technique problem to me.

My question is, do other people with thick beards like me have success with DE shaving? My initial impression is that it would work great for men blessed with thin beards, but for us with barbed wire hair it just isn't effective.
I would like to get into DE shaving, but if I can't get equal or better results than I get with my Sensor, I guess I have no choice but to abandon DE shaving.

Any help from others with thick beards would be appreciated!

Hi Brannon,
You may wish to read this thread. I too have a beard suited to chipping paint off a rusting liberty ship..:001_rolle

Top Bottom