What's new

They're spreading the word...

If you haven't been there yet classicshaving.com has a made in USA section in their online store.

i think its kinda sad there has to be a "made in USA" section lol

If the hordes wake up and start buying up the "vintage" items, supply and demand might get ugly.

this is my biggest prob. i think it would be awesome if i could go to walgreens and pick up some awesome software, but what i fear is that the vintage stuff will start getting picked up and then those prices will get way out of hand. if u think they r bad now it would be only get worse.

Convince thousands of men and boys to abandon their cartridges and electrics, the only forms of shaving that they've ever known in their lives, and reverse several decades of market trends? Yea...right. The only things that Gillette, Schick and Wilkinson need to do are to just stop adding more blades, take OFF those stupid and disgusting slime strips (my pet peeve), and lower prices accordingly. Cartridges don't need to be as cheap as double edge blades, but most cartridge examples do need to be priced lower than where they are now; this is not only to make them more affordable, but so that they also no longer have to be one of the most shoplifted items in worldwide consumer markets.

I agree. It's not a zero sum game. The more of us there are, the more purchasing power we'll have and the more products there will be. Plus it will bring the greedy bastards who ruined Gillette to their knees.

I agree with a lot of your sentiment but I don't think we're going to change corporate "hearts and minds" very much. Bear in mind that the same $3.50 on many of the vintage razor boxes I have would equate to over $75 in today's money - about the same price as a Dovo Best Quality.

I don't think corporations worldwide will ever fundamentally change - only the marketing will change. Now let me get back to lightly karate-chopping my forearm and chanting "Same as it ever was..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

I've posted some DE shaving links to my FB page, and yesterday a co-worker stopped by to ask me about it. He seemed intrigued by the cost-effectiveness of DE shaving (once the up front costs are out of the way), and the claim that it gives one a better shave. So, maybe a convert in the making. But I agree that being able to go into a store anywhere in the country and have a chance at buying some quality shaving supplies would be great. But then, to reach that point DE shaving would have to be the practice of millions of men, not just the thousands (tens of thousands?) who are shaving that way today. (How about a "Million Man DE March on DC" Anyone?)

That's awesome! A guy I worked with (who knew prior to my wet shaving that I HATED shaving) eventually asked me about it. Something about my 180 to shaving all the time instead one once a week or so. Oh, and smelling good. Yeah, had to look at him sideways with that remark. Ultimately, he bit after a couple days of asking about it. As far as I know he's still with it ~10 months later!

i think its kinda sad there has to be a "made in USA" section lol

this is my biggest prob. i think it would be awesome if i could go to walgreens and pick up some awesome software, but what i fear is that the vintage stuff will start getting picked up and then those prices will get way out of hand. if u think they r bad now it would be only get worse.

Agreed. It'd be nice to be able to run to Walmart or Walgreens, etc., and pick up some quality software. Sadly, at least in my parts, I'm limited to VDH, drug store Personna repackaged blades (or Dorco and Wilkies), and the nicest thing is Clubman.

Now, I know it's wishful thinking....but if things got to that point of being able to pick up nice quality software just about anywhere, wouldn't it be nice that they started remanufacturing older vintage razors?? Not everything (that'd be TOO nice), but at least some of them like a 3 piece Tech, Slim, Black Beauty...but not gonna happen methinks. :bored: I could care less if they kept their current business model, but at least acknowledge the resurgence as it were, and start taking advantage of a niche. It's all about revenue right??? Why not capitalize on it?? Or, most likely, we are considered "outsiders"/outliers that haven't gotten with the program yet.

Convince thousands of men and boys to abandon their cartridges and electrics, the only forms of shaving that they've ever known in their lives, and reverse several decades of market trends? Yea...right. The only things that Gillette, Schick and Wilkinson need to do are to just stop adding more blades, take OFF those stupid and disgusting slime strips (my pet peeve), and lower prices accordingly. Cartridges don't need to be as cheap as double edge blades, but most cartridge examples do need to be priced lower than where they are now; this is not only to make them more affordable, but so that they also no longer have to be one of the most shoplifted items in worldwide consumer markets.

As I noted above, keep their current model of business, just capitalize on the resurgence as it were. But they can keep on keeping on with those 5+ blade cartridge wonders. Agreed on the stupid strips. Blech. And the prices are insane!!! I luckily went off about cartridges one night while visiting with my Dad and mentioned something about old style razors...the rest is history.

Oh, and whilst on the subject, I am thankful that I can go to Walmart and at least be able to get Wilkies, VDH, and styptic (wonder whatever became of that stupid stick?). Don't get me wrong, it IS nice to be able to do that, but each of those items, cheap as they are, only have one pathetic facing in the shaving section. Meanwhile every cartridge refill from Sensor Excel forwards has multiple facings. Trac II has one IIRC. The Sensor Excel was a good razor IMHO. It's what I started off with after my rough experience with those single blade yellow handle Bic razors. But I keep thinking....they HAVE to ditch some of the older stuff at some point....right?! I mean it isn't like one can procure a new Sensor Excel at a store. So they keep making cartridges and continually feeding those who have their old razor handle still. Why, oh why, haven't they just cut them off to force them to "upgrade" to what is out now??

Meh. I think I've probably flogged this particular horse to death sufficiently enough. Don't want to start ranting! :001_tongu

I agree that it would be nice to have a community here, but I do like walking into a room and getting a subtle nod from fellow wet shavers.

One thing I do need to remember... just because someone picks up a DE and a 100 pack of Derbys doesn't mean they know what a badger is.

I like the little club and I am pretty sure that no matter what seeming trend comes through the majority will follow the main-stream advertising. And wet-shaving really isn't about the razor you use, it's about the experience (or as I refer to it - my daily spa treatment) and most people just aren't up for that yet. It may take one of us in the club to post it or mention it before they get interested in joining.

Until I can go into CVS and find the 3T's I'm pretty sure the sanctity of the group is secure. So let those who will come.
(Our group may grow, but I have faith that there are enough other options that we will not be the vast majority.)

Just my biased $.02

Heh heh - now that we're set for life with razors [and blades]?

Pretty sure you will be able to source brushes and soaps cheaper online :lol:

Yeah but as of now my chance to feel a brush or smell a soap is very limited. Once I've smelled them all it'll be ok lol, but I'd think there would be more soaps made if there are a lot of people switching.

I don't think corporations worldwide will ever fundamentally change - only the marketing will change. Now let me get back to lightly karate-chopping my forearm and chanting "Same as it ever was..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
Thanks for the DB flashback... Awesome - Same as it ever was!

If you haven't been there yet classicshaving.com has a made in USA section in their online store.
Wow -Those Hart Steel's are very tempting! Now, if they can do a barber's or Spanish point!

Yeah but as of now my chance to feel a brush or smell a soap is very limited. Once I've smelled them all it'll be ok lol, but I'd think there would be more soaps made if there are a lot of people switching.
I'm with you. To get to a decent shave shop I need to travel 2500+ miles. There is one shop here, but it's new and the product line is limited at this point. Lucky thing I travel several times a year! LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom