What's new

They wouldn't have any idea...

A guy in a resale shop was selling these years ago, I had to have one. Solid steel - aluminum need not apply for the job.

Hand this to anyone under the age of 50 and they would have no idea how you would drink a beer out of this. "Umm, get a hammer and a screwdriver???"

I think there was a scene from the movie, "The Odd Couple" where Oscar is opening a can of beer like this one.

IMG_8552.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

Last edited:
Church key is the proper name of the tool.

Crushing a steel beer can one-handed (no deposit, no recycling) was a test of manhood. If the drinker was a blacksmith or suchlike, collapsing the can end to end was a thing.

Great job for the kiddos at the lake cabin - crush the beer cans as small as possible with a heavy hammer, before burying them out in the back.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
With rolled edges on each end of the can it was easy to punch a little hole in the bottom, put your finger over it, and put a bigger hole in the top. Place top over mouth, release finger. If you messed up you got beer coming out your nose.

Beer just ain't as much fun these days, cutesy names aside.

O.H.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can actually say I used to drink it on occasion.🤮 I also drank Schmidt. I can also remember when Leinenkugel was just an old cheap beer instead of the fancified brew it is now. Oh and who can forget Old Milwaukee.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is that unopened? Still beer inside? Hell, I would have bought a few of them! Perfect deco for the man cave.

Beer of choice in high school (yes, high school) was PBR. "Hey Mister, can you buy us a six pack?"

Back in the 70's some convenience stores just looked the other way. Once, a buddy and I bought some beer in town. He parked his Oldsmobile Apollo just twenty feet from the front door of the convenience store. We bought the beer and the cashier asked if we wanted it in a bag. At that time it was all brown paper bags. We said, "Naw, we are parked right outside." So we pay and walk to the car on the busy street. I got busted by the folks the next day. As it turns out, as we walked the twenty feet I was recognized by neighbors who happened to be driving by and they saw the PBR in my hands. If I had decided to have the clerk put it into the brown paper bag...

Sooo, there went the driver's license and I recall having to split a good deal of firewood over that one. :nono:

It was more convenient since it had pull rings which were kind of a novelty when they came out.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom