What's new

They Don’t Understand

M

member 119848

I´m sure that high-profile politicians shave with DE or straights. They always appear to have BBS shaves with no irritation.
They *keep it secret* :wink2:
And we are the weirdos.

I´m sure that high-profile politicians shave with DE or straights. They always appear to have BBS shaves with no irritation.
They *keep it secret* :wink2:
And we are the weirdos.
You could well be right. But if true I doubt they shave themselves. Maybe they have a barber on speed dial like Deangelo Vickers in The Office

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Other people will consider shaving with a DE razor a waste of time and energy: that means most people.
So what? The members here enjoy the DE razor.
I myself have made 2 converts to the hobby. And one woman has a razor of mine to shave her disabled son.

if someone asks me I tell them I use a safety razor and brush and soap like an adult would, and they generally give me the *** look.

Or I let them know that there is no better feeling then putting a straight razor to your neck and surviving. They look at me weird and honestly I'm cool with that. I have a co worker that got me into it and I won't ever look back, I'll always shave with a straight or safety.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wonder if it might be easier to get someone interested by suggesting a brush/soap first into the mix? No fear of cuts, nics, weepers - just the pleasure of lather over the stuff in a can. Not that I’m out to convert anyone, except my son, who has the proper gear in hand.
That's what I have done with my neighbour. He is a face and head shaver who was using cart and canned goo. I gave him an Arlo stick and brush. He loves using them.

I now have on order a Ming Shi 2000S (Futur clone) for him to try with Gillette Rudy blades.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I wonder if it might be easier to get someone interested by suggesting a brush/soap first into the mix? No fear of cuts, nics, weepers - just the pleasure of lather over the stuff in a can. Not that I’m out to convert anyone, except my son, who has the proper gear in hand.
That's how I converted one of my son's, he had irritation from canned goo and cart shaving so I started him with shave cream and brush and though it was an improvement it didn't solve it until I introduced a DE razor. The other one was just fed up of paying cart prices and couldn't turn down free shaving.

I don't try to make anyone understand my love for wet/DE shaving, except my wife, and mostly in response to her asking "you got more shaving gear?" It's my thing. If a friend was interested and wanted to know more about it, I'd happily extol the virtues. But I don't think I could, with a straight face, argue that it's a way to save money. I mean, in theory you can, but once you go down the rabbit hole of soaps, aftershaves, razors, and brushes, forget about it.

I dunno, I like sharing my interests with other people in my life and them sharing their interests with me. Some people are more receptive to old school shaving than others. I have talked to some guys about it but I don't hound them about it. My son in law showed an interest so I got him some DE gear for Christmas. I haven't talked to him since so I don't even know if he tried it or not. If he decides he doesn't like it I am fine with that. If he wants advice and tips for better shaving I am fine with that. If he wants to try other razors I have several lying around he can have.
I saw my son in law today for the first time today since Christmas. He really likes the Henson mild razor with Astra SP blades. He told me he no longer gets the irritation that used to plague him with cartridge razors. It is always nice when you can help someone get a better shave. I sent him home with another stick of La Toja as he likes that best from the soaps and creams that I gifted him.

I don't really talk about this hobby to anyone other than my good friend and co-worker, but then there aren't that many care to or get along with enough to talk about shaving. I don't even remember how the conversation started but I got him started about 6 months after I started and he only shaved using water and multi-blades because of skin irritations. I got started because I was looking for a better shave and certainly didn't get into this to save money. I got tired of my twin disposables plugging up if I didn't shave every other day and I shave every 3-4 days. For a few years before this I was using my Dad's Injector and only shaving once a week as you couldn't that thing unless you shave extra long hair/whiskers but I always ended up with nicks with that razor which lead me to DE and here.

My friend did get another co-worker started in this hobby and he has gotten by cheap since my friend and I gave him a number of items to get him going. He mainly head shaves. My friend got one of his SIL's started in this and I contributed a couple soaps and a Gillette Tech with the stipulation if he didn't like it he had to give it back, and not to throw it out.

Who here has relatives or friends who cannot understand your interest in this hobby? I have a close friend who is a great guy but he is baffled by my interest in wet shaving. He thinks that using a de razor is archaic and silly. And dangerous too. We have a back and forth argument about it. He thinks that cartridges are superior but I often tell him that I’m saving so much money in the long run... with the cheap price of blades. Also I share with him how using a brush with a good quality soap or cream is an awesome experience. Unfortunately he still doesn’t get it...🤨🤨🧐
My reason for switching to DE, and later SR and SE, from cartridges was acne/ingrown hair. After eliminating this problem after a few weeks with a DE, I actually converted a friend to DEs, and I almost convinced a few others to try DEs - but they were afraid to switch. Not sure why. Anyway, no one told me that I was silly after they saw the improvement in my face.

Top Bottom