What's new

They Call Me Tater Salad

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If you had to give this Tater Salad a name, what would it be? (Going to add it to the wiki)

well my moms first name is Penny. So maybe Penny's Tater Salad. What do you think? Her maiden name was Gratehouse. Does Gratehouse Tater Salad sound better?

Also, I notice that you put my wings recipe on wiki...Thank you.

well my moms first name is Penny. So maybe Penny's Tater Salad. What do you think? Her maiden name was Gratehouse. Does Gratehouse Tater Salad sound better?

Also, I notice that you put my wings recipe on wiki...Thank you.

A couple of us stews are slowly but surely going to get as many recipes into the wiki as we can. They're much easier to browse there. Follow the link in my signature to check it out.

I kinda like the sound of Gratehouse Tater Salad! Sounds like something you'd get in a trendy restaurant with old charm.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A couple of us stews are slowly but surely going to get as many recipes into the wiki as we can. They're much easier to browse there. Follow the link in my signature to check it out.

I kinda like the sound of Gratehouse Tater Salad! Sounds like something you'd get in a trendy restaurant with old charm.

Good idea for the recipe area. I think Penny's Tater Salad is the way to go.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
SWMBO made Penny's(mom) tater salad today. Oh so good. The taters were cooked to perfection. She used a different brand miracle whip, not as good, but still stellar.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm already thinking about tater salad because of the warmer then usual temperatures here in Texas. Lately though I haven't eaten potatoes 'cause I'm on keto for 90% of what I eat. But exceptions can be made for times when I think about mom and her recipes that I really loved.

Last month I made the above recipe (minus the India Relish) with steamed cauliflower. It turned out very good, but it didn't have that sticky starch which helps bind things together.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Today we made my mothers tater salad in honor of her life. Her name was Penny. The recipe is in my the first post and in the recipes wiki.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’m planning to smoke a nice prime brisket in the next few weeks maybe for July 4. So thought I would resurrect this thread in memory of my mother and add a little tater salad. Feel free to change up her recipe to fit your needs. It’s simple easy and delicious.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks for bringing this thread back, Aaron. I don't know how I've missed it.

I assume you use russet potatoes? That's the classic. However, Yukon Gold also work great, and red potatoes can really sing (don't even need to peel the reds).

I'm not familiar with the India relish, but it sounds perfect. My Mom would just mince up sweet gherkins because sweet relish was too sweet and not "pickley" enough. That India relish sounds like a great fix. I might have to pick up some of that stuff!

I know that onions can polarize folks, but I pretty much need them in any potato salad I would make, but I do tone it down. Raw onion can dominate. I like 1015 sweet onions or soaked red onions.

I love celery in the salad. I like the idea of celery seed never done that), but I also want the crunch and cool bite from chopped celery.

Then, there's cauliflower. One of the best "potato" salads I've ever had was made with cauliflower. Frankly, I didn't even miss the starch because the cauliflower was so creamy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for bringing this thread back, Aaron. I don't know how I've missed it.

I assume you use russet potatoes? That's the classic. However, Yukon Gold also work great, and red potatoes can really sing (don't even need to peel the reds).

I'm not familiar with the India relish, but it sounds perfect. My Mom would just mince up sweet gherkins because sweet relish was too sweet and not "pickley" enough. That India relish sounds like a great fix. I might have to pick up some of that stuff!

I know that onions can polarize folks, but I pretty much need them in any potato salad I would make, but I do tone it down. Raw onion can dominate. I like 1015 sweet onions or soaked red onions.

I love celery in the salad. I like the idea of celery seed never done that), but I also want the crunch and cool bite from chopped celery.

Then, there's cauliflower. One of the best "potato" salads I've ever had was made with cauliflower. Frankly, I didn't even miss the starch because the cauliflower was so creamy.
The India relish was nowhere to be found for 10 years or more around here. Heinz quit making it or didn’t ship it to the southern states. But we found a deli out of New York and ordered a case. I gave them to my mother. She was thrilled because she couldn’t find them anymore. It’s just a sweet pickle relish with a little cabbage, red bell pepper and turmeric. As for the type of Potatoes, we like the russet but we’ve also used new potatoes and the Goldies. The russets break down a little bit more and give a little stickiness to the salad which we prefer.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I remember the Indian Relish discussion. My mom always added sugar to her tater salad. Sometimes she would make hot German style salad, but as kids we didn't appreciate it.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I remember the Indian Relish discussion. My mom always added sugar to her after salad. Sometimes she would make not German style salad, but as kids we didn't appreciate it.
To be honest as a little kid I didn’t like potato salad. But into my teen years I couldn’t eat enough of it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What tater salad recipe did your mom make?

Looking at your Mum's recipe, I know my Mum's recipe didn't have that Indian Relish ... but did have cubed dill pickles instead. And sliced radishes. Those would be the main differences.

Top Bottom