What's new

They Call Me Tater Salad

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
She does a raisin sauce on the Sauerbraten that I really like. It goes well with a Spaten Optimater. I make F-burg several times a year. I stay at a place called Daydream Cabins about 5 miles north of town. I used to stay about 15 miles out at a place called 3J ranch, but after her husband died she sold the place. Talk about a dark sky- I could sit out and watch stars all night.

Not to be nosey, but do you live in Texas?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It goes like this:

6 taters
4 hard boiled eggs
1 medium onion sliced so thin you can see through
1 cup of homemade mayo
2 cups pitted olives (Kalamata are my favorite)

S&P to taste
Adjust amounts of each above to your liking.
the olives are interesting.

8 medium potatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1.4 cup vegetable oil
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
4 hard boiled eggs, coursely chopped
1-1/4 cup mayonnaise (we used Cains)
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup pickle relish

As soon as you can handle the boiled potatoes, toss with lemon juice and vegetable oil. Add everything else when cool.

This is the Fanny Farmer recipe that my mother's potato salad was based on. She didn't use measuring cups or spoons, but mixed by eye.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Did you go to the RockBox? It hass all old rock music and had a Barnie Fife lookalike that was spot on. Great fun.
Nope, never been- hadn't heard of it. I don't get into the city much and I need to get to Carshon's Deli- I haven't had bagels and lox since I moved here from Cleveland in 92.

Sounds about like his recipe ... though his seems a bit sweeter so I'd guess there's some sugar involved somewhere
We go NO ONIONS in TATER Salad here. Now when I make it I add thin sliced celery for a little crunch. The wife is a big NO on Onions or Celery.

I don't know the recipe but the deli at work often has this killer cajun potato salad made with red potatoes boiled in seafood boil and it's spicy hot. Love that stuff!

When I want to go Cajun I just add Tony C's and a dash of LA hot sauce to taters when they are cooking then some more Tony C to the batch as we mix it all up to taste.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dad's coming into town later this week. We are all going to a funeral for my cousin in Johnston City. I think I will make him mom's tater salad.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey Guys, doesn't look like Dad will make it down. It seems he pulled his back while helping my brother with the riding lawn mower. Funny how it seems I'm so disappointed that a trivial thing as dad not getting to eat mom's tater salad can make me blue.

Hey Guys, doesn't look like Dad will make it down. It seems he pulled his back while helping my brother with the riding lawn mower. Funny how it seems I'm so disappointed that a trivial thing as dad not getting to eat mom's tater salad can make me blue.

Tough break for Dad, and tough break for you.

There's nothing trivial about old family recipes, I would be disappointed too. Back in the mid 1980's, I regularly made potato salad for my grandfather, who was real out of sorts when his wife of 50+ years had to go in a nursing home. He was old school and had never cooked a meal in his life, so relied on the kindness of friends and families.

Good food is not a cure for what ails you, but it sure helps. You'll have to make arrangements to get some tater salad to him. It will be good for him and good for you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tough break for Dad, and tough break for you.

There's nothing trivial about old family recipes, I would be disappointed too. Back in the mid 1980's, I regularly made potato salad for my grandfather, who was real out of sorts when his wife of 50+ years had to go in a nursing home. He was old school and had never cooked a meal in his life, so relied on the kindness of friends and families.

Good food is not a cure for what ails you, but it sure helps. You'll have to make arrangements to get some tater salad to him. It will be good for him and good for you.

Thanks Bob, I don't know how many more times I'll get a chance at these type things.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Summers here so I went through some of my mom's recipes she gave us. Found her recipe for tater salad. She wrote it by hand and there were little extra notes in the margin, etc. Anyway, we made...we ate it and the tears came unexpectedly for both me and my wife. She died two years ago...but eating it was like she was talking to me. I am proud to share her recipe. It goes like this:

6 taters
4 hard boiled eggs
1 jar of Heinz India Relish drained(very hard to find, Amazon has it.).
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 to 1 small onion(optional)
2 teaspoons brown mustard
1 cup of Miracle Whip
Celery seed(she also put a little in the pot with the taters as they cooked)
S&P to taste
Adjust amounts of each above to your liking.

What tater salad recipe did your mom make?

that at is just about how my mother makes it. But now she uses pickles instead of relish and she adds pimentos sometimes.
I won't eat my wife's or my mother-in-laws tater salad.
Just my moms.
on a side note: I love Ron White!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
that at is just about how my mother makes it. But now she uses pickles instead of relish and she adds pimentos sometimes.
I won't eat my wife's or my mother-in-laws tater salad.
Just my moms.
on a side note: I love Ron White!

Thanks Marty.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Throw some Blue Cheese in there and watch people's heads explode.
I like it, but I've been told to take my ball and go home when I suggest it.

Thanks Marc...I love Blue Cheese. Just didn't put the two together. Maybe there is something new on the horizon of tater salad.

Have you ever made "loaded baked potato" potato salad?
It's just as it sounds. Make a basic potato salad recipe and add things like bacon bits, green onion, shredded cheddar cheese.
Pretty much whatever you would find on a loaded baked potato.

It's pretty good.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Have you ever made "loaded baked potato" potato salad?
It's just as it sounds. Make a basic potato salad recipe and add things like bacon bits, green onion, shredded cheddar cheese.
Pretty much whatever you would find on a loaded baked potato.

It's pretty good.

Like a twice baked baked potato?

Top Bottom