What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

They Call Me Tater Salad

Hey Guys, doesn't look like Dad will make it down. It seems he pulled his back while helping my brother with the riding lawn mower. Funny how it seems I'm so disappointed that a trivial thing as dad not getting to eat mom's tater salad can make me blue.
Tough break for Dad, and tough break for you.

There's nothing trivial about old family recipes, I would be disappointed too. Back in the mid 1980's, I regularly made potato salad for my grandfather, who was real out of sorts when his wife of 50+ years had to go in a nursing home. He was old school and had never cooked a meal in his life, so relied on the kindness of friends and families.

Good food is not a cure for what ails you, but it sure helps. You'll have to make arrangements to get some tater salad to him. It will be good for him and good for you.

martym

I Leave The Toilet Seat Up.
Contributor
Summers here so I went through some of my mom's recipes she gave us. Found her recipe for tater salad. She wrote it by hand and there were little extra notes in the margin, etc. Anyway, we made...we ate it and the tears came unexpectedly for both me and my wife. She died two years ago...but eating it was like she was talking to me. I am proud to share her recipe. It goes like this:

6 taters
4 hard boiled eggs
1 jar of Heinz India Relish drained(very hard to find, Amazon has it.).
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 to 1 small onion(optional)
2 teaspoons brown mustard
1 cup of Miracle Whip
Celery seed(she also put a little in the pot with the taters as they cooked)
S&P to taste
Adjust amounts of each above to your liking.

What tater salad recipe did your mom make?
that at is just about how my mother makes it. But now she uses pickles instead of relish and she adds pimentos sometimes.
I won't eat my wife's or my mother-in-laws tater salad.
Just my moms.
on a side note: I love Ron White!

maxman

Moderator Emeritus
Throw some Blue Cheese in there and watch people's heads explode.
I like it, but I've been told to take my ball and go home when I suggest it.

maxman

Moderator Emeritus
Have you ever made "loaded baked potato" potato salad?
It's just as it sounds. Make a basic potato salad recipe and add things like bacon bits, green onion, shredded cheddar cheese.
Pretty much whatever you would find on a loaded baked potato.

It's pretty good.

maxman

Moderator Emeritus
It could be. Maybe there are different names in different places for the same thing.

well my moms first name is Penny. So maybe Penny's Tater Salad. What do you think? Her maiden name was Gratehouse. Does Gratehouse Tater Salad sound better?

Also, I notice that you put my wings recipe on wiki...Thank you.
A couple of us stews are slowly but surely going to get as many recipes into the wiki as we can. They're much easier to browse there. Follow the link in my signature to check it out.

I kinda like the sound of Gratehouse Tater Salad! Sounds like something you'd get in a trendy restaurant with old charm.

DoctorShavegood

Aaron Scissorhands
Ambassador
I'm already thinking about tater salad because of the warmer then usual temperatures here in Texas. Lately though I haven't eaten potatoes 'cause I'm on keto for 90% of what I eat. But exceptions can be made for times when I think about mom and her recipes that I really loved.

Last month I made the above recipe (minus the India Relish) with steamed cauliflower. It turned out very good, but it didn't have that sticky starch which helps bind things together.

DoctorShavegood

Aaron Scissorhands
Ambassador
Today we made my mothers tater salad in honor of her life. Her name was Penny. The recipe is in my the first post and in the recipes wiki.