What's new

These cheap eBay stones any good? 3000/10,000

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I got one from Smith on your recommendation. Works great for my kitchen knives in between sharpenings. The wife likes to cut on the counter and on ceramic dishes. Lol.

LOL Yeah for knives abused multiple times a day like that, no sense taking more than a few seconds to make them sharp again. Me, I have "my" knife at GF's house for cooking but I still use my Lansky pullthrough, a dozen pulls in the 20 deg slot and 2 or 3 very light ones in the 30. Makes a great allaround kitchen or pocketknife edge though my Buck 110 gets a dozen at 17 deg and two light ones at 25. I got her two of them, one for the kitchen knife drawer, and one for her boat. She loves them because it only took me about 60 seconds to teach her how to use it, and she can actually make her knives sharp after misusing them.

Just an update, the stone arrived and the 10k side, is a hilarious joke. It's like quartz but it's easy to scrape and gouge if you really push. Basically it does nothing. However the red side has impressed me. It really seems to cut metal and it definitely seems fine grain, it sort of feels like unglazed pottery, I'll be keeping it as a pocket knife sharpener.

For whatever reason, I found the red stuff worked best with oil.

For whatever reason, I found the red stuff worked best with oil.
I can definitely understand that as it is awfully sticky with metal residue. Actually my preference for oil stones is to use them dry and then rip out the embedded metal particles with a large pencil eraser, work surprisingly well for little pocket stones and no mess.

Also I made a discovery, the white 10k side will polish brass to a fantastic mirror finish it's just that the abrasive is not hard enough to cut steel, so technically they are not lying.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Stones on the beach? That is so thoughtless and irresponsible. Whoever left them there should be made to come back and get them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just wanted to say, my back of lapping film has arrived, very excited, thanks for turning me onto that.

Be sure and read the lapping film thread!

Do it like we do it in the thread and you have an excellent chance of getting a good edge right out the gate. Freestyle it, ignore directions, at your peril.

Be sure and read the lapping film thread!

Do it like we do it in the thread and you have an excellent chance of getting a good edge right out the gate. Freestyle it, ignore directions, at your peril.
Thank you, don't worry for I start, I intend to read the entire lapping film thread, all 129 pages. I'm bit of a slow reader and I've done some calculations and I shall be commencing lapping my razor in 17 weeks three days and four hours.:a29:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you print it all out and bind it into a book you will have a comprehensive lapping film / razor honing manual.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php
\

I'm interested in learning bit about the natural stones which is why I read this thread (learned a lot, too).

Learned more than I meant to, and ordered this knife sharpener for the kitchen. Very inexpensive on Amazon.

What about all those stones offered on eBay? I assume it's almost a total crapshoot even if you're knowledgeable about stones, and a roulette wheel is you're ignorant (like me). Not that I'm buying anything now (just practicing with the synthetics I already have, and reading for knowledge, fun, and out of curiosity).

Nice thread. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have usdd that for knives but I find the Lansky Quad Sharp much better. Use it daily, sometimes more often, for my work knives.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have usdd that for knives but I find the Lansky Quad Sharp much better. Use it daily, sometimes more often, for my work knives.

Link to vendor.

Lansky QuadSharp.jpg

As it turns out my first order was messed up in the translation with Amazon and hadn't gone through, so I was easily able to order the one you just suggested. I does look a lot better, and not much more expensive at all.

Thanks,

Jim

Top Bottom