What's new

These Boots are Finally Made For Walking

Over 10 years ago, I purchased a pair of Loake Burfords. I loved the brogue style in a lace-up boot. The colour is good for navy, tan and grey suits to jeans and casual wear. They have the Goodyear welted soles (original) and the heel rubbers have never been changed...because there's a good reason. And just to make a point, the shoes did fit.

I could only wear them for short periods of time. I just could not break these things in to be comfortable for a whole day. I tried boot stretchers, spray stretch, shoe trees wrapped in 3 pairs of socks and jammed into the shoes to try and make the leather supple...Nope. It got to a point where I could wear them to out dinner or any short duration event that didn't require a lot of walking. These are not cheap shoes, they're made in England and Loake has a very good reputation. Even so, they tended to stay at home.

I really like shoes and have indulged myself perhaps a bit more than I should. My wife agrees I have over done it.

So one day I was looking at these shoes and thought "Ima gonna do something with these things...again" I remember reading about soaking shoes/boots to get a comfortable fit to form. I mean WTH, I wasn't wearing them so I decided to let them take the plunge.

I soaked them overnight and prepared myself to wear them all day. I took extra socks to work to change out when they got too wet. I walked to work so it was a nice warm spring day when I put on my wet boots and went to work. I noticed that I was able to get to work without any of the usual pain and rubbing...hmm. As the day wore on, they dried out and I was really getting quite pleased with them as they weren't hurting any longer. I decided that when I got home I would treat them to a good leather conditioner to help the leather remain supple. Did that for a few days and they are now a comfortable and hard- wearing pair of shoes. It only took me 10 or so years to figure out.
624D03EC-70C9-4DE7-B771-8CF8487BAEB7_1_201_a.jpeg
7FC9839B-2D84-4FEA-8424-D6B1C8AC3050_1_201_a.jpeg

So did you basically put the boots in a bucket of water overnight? Then wear them wet for a day. It sounds extreme but it seems that it worked. Very cool. They look great - lovely color. Of course brogues are always a winner IMO.

Over 10 years ago, I purchased a pair of Loake Burfords. I loved the brogue style in a lace-up boot. The colour is good for navy, tan and grey suits to jeans and casual wear. They have the Goodyear welted soles (original) and the heel rubbers have never been changed...because there's a good reason. And just to make a point, the shoes did fit.

I could only wear them for short periods of time. I just could not break these things in to be comfortable for a whole day. I tried boot stretchers, spray stretch, shoe trees wrapped in 3 pairs of socks and jammed into the shoes to try and make the leather supple...Nope. It got to a point where I could wear them to out dinner or any short duration event that didn't require a lot of walking. These are not cheap shoes, they're made in England and Loake has a very good reputation. Even so, they tended to stay at home.

I really like shoes and have indulged myself perhaps a bit more than I should. My wife agrees I have over done it.

So one day I was looking at these shoes and thought "Ima gonna do something with these things...again" I remember reading about soaking shoes/boots to get a comfortable fit to form. I mean WTH, I wasn't wearing them so I decided to let them take the plunge.

I soaked them overnight and prepared myself to wear them all day. I took extra socks to work to change out when they got too wet. I walked to work so it was a nice warm spring day when I put on my wet boots and went to work. I noticed that I was able to get to work without any of the usual pain and rubbing...hmm. As the day wore on, they dried out and I was really getting quite pleased with them as they weren't hurting any longer. I decided that when I got home I would treat them to a good leather conditioner to help the leather remain supple. Did that for a few days and they are now a comfortable and hard- wearing pair of shoes. It only took me 10 or so years to figure out.View attachment 1252531View attachment 1252532

Good job!

You'll have to condition them well now since a few wet-dry cycles can strip natural oils in leather.

But a couple of coats within a week will do!

So did you basically put the boots in a bucket of water overnight? Then wear them wet for a day. It sounds extreme but it seems that it worked. Very cool. They look great - lovely color. Of course brogues are always a winner IMO.
Yep, that's exactly what I did. Soaked them overnight. It's a testament as to how sturdy these things are. But I finally got a pair of boots I can wear.

I had a friend I used to go hill walking with who woud buy cheap hiking boots and then on the first few outings with them wade through every river or stream we came across. He claimed it helped them take on the shape of his feet, especially if he applied a few layers of old fashioned dubbin in between uses. sounds like a very similar idea to the OP's.

I had a friend I used to go hill walking with who woud buy cheap hiking boots and then on the first few outings with them wade through every river or stream we came across. He claimed it helped them take on the shape of his feet, especially if he applied a few layers of old fashioned dubbin in between uses. sounds like a very similar idea to the OP's.

Actually not a good idea if the sole is not Goodyear stitched, like OP's ones.

Being cheap, the sole is 100% glued.

If I'm not in bed, 9 times out of 10 I'm in boots. Im a firefighter. When I was a young Paratrooper we used to shower in our jungle boots and wear them wet when in garrison to varying degrees of success. I recently made the investment and had boots made for MY feet . I filled out a Fit sheet that had five or six points on my foot measured with a soft tape measure. Break in was minimal and hands down the best set of boots I have ever owned. JK Boots. They can make just about anything from the most hardcore woodland firefighter boots to some a little casual . I have a thing for nice shoes and those are very nice ,sir

It’s funny how in the “modern day” we forget how big of a pain it is to break in good leather shoes. I remember getting new shoes as a kid and having blisters until they finally broke in. And I won’t even mention my first pair of black leather boots in basic training...agony.

But once they are broke in, they fit like a glove!

Congrats on a wonderful pair of boots that will last many, many years!

Years ago, I think that some of that "break in" was the bone structure of my feet deforming to fit into whatever style of shoe was required to be socially acceptable as a teenager. Nowadays I buy shoes that fit properly even if they have a "sensible shoe" style. They still need some break in but then they do fit like a glove.

Beautiful pair of boots. Now that you're wearing them, I bet the leather will darken over time and get even nicer.

I have never done what you've suggested for a pair of boots that I'd bought myself, but that practice was common in the military when they used to issue black leather boots. Old Salts would advise you to take your boots into the shower and run hot water into them several times. Then put them on over a double pair of socks and wear them until they dried to the shape of your feet.

The one thing that I still do when I buy a new pair of leather shoes or boots is to put moleskin on my feet on all the spots that I expect will rub. I'm pretty liberal with that, so I end up with a lot of moleskin patches. That (and some thick wool socks) seems to do the trick.

Top Bottom