What's new

There's Somethin' bout Brass

I think y'all convinced me to go with a brass Karve razor. I was thinking aluminum because I like light razors, but all these pictures have me rethinking that.

Karve is undoubtedly a great razor.
There are unfortunately problems with their communication, the way they’ve over-promised and under-delivered several times over the years, still having to wait quite a while to get their razors, etc, etc... lots of threads and discussions about it, including here...

But if you like brass and the way it develops patina, as shown in some of these photos, go for it!
Look at it this way... even though you’d potentially have to wait for a few weeks to get a brass razor (even if it’s advertised as “in stock”), you’re still going to get it much sooner than an aluminum one, even you already were on their wait list for one of those...

#EnablersRUs.... :)

Last edited:
Brass and copper are both beautiful. I ordered a boar brush this week with a solid copper handle. Can't wait to see it. Should match my CG's razor well.

Reactions: nav
To reiterate @DSR 's comments, I ordered my "in stock" Karve CB Daily Shaver's kit on 22 December 2019 (I fully understand it was the holiday season), it shipped out on 8 February 2020, I received it on 17 February 2020. Do I like it ? Yes. Would I order another if I lost this one? Yes. :thumbsup:

Thank you.
Interesting to see that, even with the blade left in, there’s fairly even patina on the inside of the topcap and on the top of the baseplate.
I would have expected to maybe see some water stains in there, since you can’t fully dry or wipe those surfaces without opening the razor and removing the blade...

Oh, I should have mentioned that just before I wipe down the razor after use, I take a deep breath and blow out the water as much as possible from inside the razor head.

I do this with all my razors as it's a habit I seemed to have picked up from watching my father do that when I was younger.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great brass! Love seeing the raw and polished versions! I polish but its so labor intensive ive only done it a few times.

Very nice. Here’s a shot of my 1930 Gillette New Long Comb.
D466EFA1-8471-4657-B900-1D411748F508.jpeg

I've got a New with poor quality gold plating on the cap. Did you just polish the finish off to get that beautiful effect?

Yes I did mine just with Brasso. If the metal has a lot of scratches you could use very fine sandpaper first and then progressively finer grid paper and polish at the end. It's an very soft metal so it won't take much effort.

I thought the Hone had a textured/matte finish, has yours been polished?

Good catch... I just recently picked up this Hone second-hand and didn't really even notice that it had a different finish. Since I bought it used, I don't know the full history of this razor. But I did find this Instagram post by Hone saying "Playing with some hand brushed finishes." from about 2 years ago. My guess is that my Hone is one of a handful of factory brushed finishes.

40378533_1520269404741235_2458183994705239808_n.jpg

Nice, I like that brushed brass look. What do you think about the razor? I'm tempted to get one but am waiting for the new SS version.

Nice, I like that brushed brass look. What do you think about the razor? I'm tempted to get one but am waiting for the new SS version.

Only had my first shave with the razor this morning. Even as someone who likes heavy razors (e.g., Pils), this razor is very heavy and a bit difficult to maneuver due to its size and weight. My first impression is that it's like shaving with a log. But the shave quality is quite good and irritation free. It will take a few more shaves before I can figure out how to best wield this razor. But my guess is that it won't overtake my Pils and CG level 1 as my current favorites.

Was the Hone SS announced? I haven't seen any discussion about it and there haven't been any posts to the Instagram account about an SS release.

No formal announcement yet. I've had a few email conversations with Andrew and he mentioned that a SS version is in development but Covid-19 has made it tricky to find a new machine shop but has given extra time to refine the design. I don't think any release is imminent but is definitely on the cards. I'd be more interested in the SS for the weight, not really interested in Al razors or I'd get the 15a.

How was the efficiency? I hear it is a mild shave (my favourite type).

Top Bottom