What's new

There's No Such Thing as a Barbershop Scent

It sounds like Shannon's will be next after I've finished the two Barbershop Soaps I have. I'm a big fan of her Haymarket Vetiver.
You really should try Clubman as I suggested in the other thread. It, IMO, is the closest to a traditional American barbershop scent.

The biggest problem with Barbershop scent is not just regional or what country your from, its also from what era your from too... Barbershops today don't have the same scents that barbershops of the 50's to the 70's had. Back then it was all about talcum powder, musk, leather, and the smell of warm hair clippers giving off the aroma of the oil the barber just coated the blades with before using them!! How can you possibly get all that in 1 jar? I'm thinking the clipper oil would be more than off putting also, but one thing is for sure just about any part of the country or the world...there was some brand of talcum powder that was used to finish off the haircut and that is usually the scent that is associated most with a barbershop scent and that would be Clubman, but beware though as it is very talcum powder heavy though, but in a good way!!

I remember going into a barbershop in Southern California in the mid 80's and after my haircut the barber pulled out a bottle of Johnsons baby powder and proceeded to coat a brush with it to use on my neck!! Just not the same and the biggest reason I mention the timeline above. Time has changed a lot of things in life and some were not for the better!!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Op, you are correct.

The problem = “barbershop” is not an official/classic scent accord. Therefore, nobody agrees on how it should smell.

In my opinion, a classic fougere like clubman or brut smells like a barbershop.

In my experience, items labeled “barbershop” end up loosely smelling like really cheap barbasol clones. Some are okay. Some are awful.

Then you get 50 people with 50 opinions of what a barbershop smells like. Everything from floid blue to proraso green to cella red to speick to old spice to bay rums to lime sec to aqua Velva. Etc.

True. Point taken. Too much stuff could be classified as a Barbershop scent.

It turns out that my next try at a barbershop scent is via RazoRock. I needed another penny to get free shipping on a razor, so I decided "what the puck". You really can't go wrong with 4 soaps for $12. They arrived today, and there are two barbershop versions, the blue and black. Blue is a "cool and clean barbershop scent" while black is a "classic barbershop fougere". To my nose, the black is the first scent I've tried that really reminds me of a barbershop.

...To my nose, the black is the first scent I've tried that really reminds me of a barbershop.
Razorock has that scent in an aftershave called "American Barber" which is their version of YSL Rive Gauche. I think it's one of the better RR aftershaves of those I've tried. A little goes a long way with that one.

I can attest that American Barber by Razor Rock is the real deal, the soap and the aftershave, top freaking notch!

To me barbershop is one smell and one smell only, Proraso Green, end of story

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Its so subjective. The name describes everything and nothing. That being said 89% of the stuff described as such smell the same. I use Stirling when i want the hit of vanilla. I think wsp barbercool is pretty great. But barbershop? Who can say.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I instantly recognized Clubman as the 1970s, small-town barbershop I recall.

Old magazines, blue liquid jars with combs ... Linoleum floor covered with hair ...

AA

I can attest that American Barber by Razor Rock is the real deal, the soap and the aftershave, top freaking notch!

To me barbershop is one smell and one smell only, Proraso Green, end of story

Today my shave included B&M Seville soap and Proraso Green AS. Felt (smelled) pretty barbershop-y to me!

I bought a bottle of Barbasol Brisk AS. That is exactly the scent of my barbershop (or at least my barber).

I've always considered "Barbershop " more of a category rather than a particular scent. There are many different ones but all, or most, of them invoke a feeling of sitting in a barbershop. I'm not bothered by the variety of ones called barbershop at all. Look at all the soaps labeled Sandalwood that are as or more different.

most of my shave gear is stored in bins in a separate closet.
i use a small cardboard box to gather the items for the day's shave.
admittedly, not very elegant, but it works.
after so many years, the BOX HAS A DISTINCT BARBERSHOP SMELL!
suppose it comes from so many diverse soaps, splashes, etc all blending and absorbing into the cardboard.
seems to be lavender, talcum, musky.

IMG_7335.JPG

Depends on the barbershop. Clubman reminds me the most of barbershops when growing up, but I haven't found a decent soap with the same scent.

When you guys refer to "Clubman" are you referring to the notorious Lilac Vegetal or just the whole Clubman line altogether? When I search Clubman I see lots of products -- after shave, lotion, cologne, etc. with various scents -- Vanilla, Musk, Citrus Musk, etc Where should I start if I never experienced the old barbershops myself and I want to get the real experience?

When you guys refer to "Clubman" are you referring to the notorious Lilac Vegetal or just the whole Clubman line altogether? When I search Clubman I see lots of products -- after shave, lotion, cologne, etc. with various scents -- Vanilla, Musk, Citrus Musk, etc Where should I start if I never experienced the old barbershops myself and I want to get the real experience?

This is the one:
proxy.php

Top Bottom