What's new

There's ghost in my kitchen!

The Reaper is there as well!

Sorry guys, just a little humor! But seriously, I have a little over 3 pounds of Golden ghost peppers that I harvested from my garden, along with a couple of red ghost peppers, and one Carolina reaper pepper.
I'm currently waiting on the rest of the red ghost and reapers to ripen, but I've already picked 2 pounds of golden ghost prior to this bunch and I still have at least another 3 pounds waiting to ripen before I pick them. All this from three plants!
The golden variety is a little less hot that the red, but they still leave my mouth burning for at least 20 minutes.
Most will be dried out and made into a powder for ribs or seasonings, but some I plan on using to make hot sauce.
The reapers on the other hand will be dried and used to keep my neighbors cars and other outdoor critters out of my yard/garden.

I also have a bunch of other pepper and chilies that I have harvest as well. Most are a sweet variety that I can use in different dishes that my wife and daughter can easily eat.

In total, I planted over 50 pepper plants. Some did very well, while others did so so. Most are still not ready to harvest.
The two jalapeno plants did well also. I harvested a little under 10 pounds of jalapenos. The two pictures show both harvest.
The bell peppers didn't do well at all, but I suspect that they didn't get enough sun due to two very large tomatoe plants my wife planted near them. The tomatoes certainly made up for the lack of bell peppers though. We harvested nearly 100 pound of tomatoes.
I currently have about 11 pounds of tomatoes to use, seen in the last picture, with some still on the plants not ready to pick.

Anyone else have a large harvest this summer?
20180911_095336.jpg

20180831_114228.jpg
20180911_095345.jpg
20180911_124841.jpg

20180806_150419.jpg
20180911_124849.jpg

20180913_114938.jpg

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice harvest!

I'm not a big fan of the Carolina Reaper, either, but I bet it's mighty good ant keeping away cats and critters. I do like the flavor of its relative, the Butch Trinidad Scorpion.

Your a braver man than I. I love my jalapeños, but I don't enjoy peppers so hot that I can no longer taste my food. However, when I was younger, the hotter the better.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

That's a lot of good looking peppers!

proxy.php

I picked these up a few weeks ago to bring to my brother's birthday. My dad, brother and myself were going to rehydrate and each have one (hottest we've done is ghost), but I forgot to bring them... So they've been sitting in my pantry, because that's not something I'm taking on alone.

IllI be starting my garden neext year, but I think the hottest thing I'll have in it is serrano peooers. Anything hotter would likely go to waste.

M

member 119848

@GearNoir this thread is for you, you might want to eat the whole plate... :001_smile
Let me share this video with you guys, where Chris eats a Habanero like its not a big deal...
...or like a hero!

Freeze them and they will lose some heat. I made a chili once using frozen Habs that I sauteed in a skillet before adding them to the chili. My BIL's dad tried a bowl and said it wasn't really that hot. 5 minutes later, he was sweating like a politician on a lie detector. It really crept up on you. You get the flavor without wrecking your palate.

This whole thread makes my mouth water and my backside pucker.

Fantastic harvest. I wish I could manage peppers like that!

That’s the problem. Eventually there will be a ring of fire.
You're not joking there! They go in easier than out every time!
A lesson I learned about 14 years ago when it comes to eating supper hot peppers is to never do it if you have a flight to catch the next day! The boarding gate was right outside from the bathroom and I still almost missed my plane.

Freeze them and they will lose some heat. I made a chili once using frozen Habs that I sauteed in a skillet before adding them to the chili. My BIL's dad tried a bowl and said it wasn't really that hot. 5 minutes later, he was sweating like a politician on a lie detector. It really crept up on you. You get the flavor without wrecking your palate.
Thanks for the pointer.
I've made what I call three day chili. It aggressively, not progressively, gets hotter as it ages.
On day one everyone could eat it, but barely. Day two my father and I could ear it. On day three only I could eat it, but it was rough. On day four it could possibly have been classified as a bio weapon and the left overs went into the trash.
This whole thread makes my mouth water and my backside pucker.

Fantastic harvest. I wish I could manage peppers like that!
Believe it or not, this is my first shot at growing a massive garden like this and wasn't quite sure how well it would go. My last gardens consisted of tomatoes and cucumbers. I learned quite a bit this summer, so next year should be even better.

I'm sure someone else may have tried this, but I personally don't know anyone other than myself.
With an abundance of jalapenos, I started to become in eating them up. So instead of eating celery with peanut butter, I cut jalapenos in half and put peanut butter in them. Three or four of these can hold me over for several hours. It's a great snack!
20180808_064432.jpg

I'm sure someone else may have tried this, but I personally don't know anyone other than myself.
With an abundance of jalapenos, I started to become in eating them up. So instead of eating celery with peanut butter, I cut jalapenos in half and put peanut butter in them. Three or four of these can hold me over for several hours. It's a great snack!
View attachment 912433
I've seen my dad do this. I tried it once... It's not for me. I prefer to stuff them with a mixture of shredded cheese, cream cheese, chives and bacon bits. Then heat them up however.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 912433
Yeah- I could see doing that.

Well, I just finished making and canning nearly 8 pints of Pineapple Ghost Pepper sauce. Just waiting for it to cool down now.
I'll probably wait about a week before eating any, but I did give it a taste before cooking it and immediately after cooking it. It's pretty tasty and has a decent burn.
I'll start a dedicated thread to it with the recipe once it's ready and I've grilled some chicken.
20180921_134402.jpg

Top Bottom