What's new

There's always a first time

Gentleman, that was unexpected.

I've been breaking in a Proraso boar with some Palmolive cream, first time with both and I've been getting a post shave tenderness, tingling and redness that lingered for a couple of hours. Actually, it starts after lathering for the second pass.

The obvious conclusion to me was some kind of brush irritation from face lathering with a stiff new brush. After being fed up with this I decided to bowl lather for some time to avoid the discomfort.

To my surprise, I got the same irritation. I never had any reaction to any soap or cream, but that possibility quickly came to my mind. Out with Palmolive, in with proraso. Same brush, blade and razor. GONE. Smooth, tingle free shave.

Too bad I bought 4 of them. At least they were only 89 cents at esselunga. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone with a similar reaction to Palmolive?

Well each of us have different skin, our skin reacts to different products differently.

Think you found culprit. Did you wash out New Brush prior to use. Do you rinse brush post use, and hang handle up? Bristles down to dry?

The ingredients in Palmolive Classic shaving cream are:
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Sodium Silicate, Cocos Nucifera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Cl 42051, Cl45350, Cl 47005, Cl 15985

Of those ingredients, the one of most concern is Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde. This fragrance chemical is known to cause allergic reactions and has has been banned in the EU, UK and USA.

Limonene is a naturally occuring fragrance chemical common in the peel of some citrus fruits. However, for some people, it can also irritate sensitive skin. While the orange citrus fruits like orange, bergamot, mandarin and neroli do not irritate my skin, I have to avoid scents with lemon, lime and grapefruit.

If you got the green tube, it also contains menthol, which can also be an irritant. My face won't tolerate menthol or synthetic coolants.

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Sodium Silicate, Cocos Nucifera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Cl 42051, Cl45350, Cl 47005, Cl 15985

Of those ingredients, the one of most concern is Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde. This fragrance chemical is known to cause allergic reactions and has has been banned in the EU, UK and USA.

Limonene is a naturally occuring fragrance chemical common in the peel of some citrus fruits. However, for some people, it can also irritate sensitive skin. While the orange citrus fruits like orange, bergamot, mandarin and neroli do not irritate my skin, I have to avoid scents with lemon, lime and grapefruit.

If you got the green tube, it also contains menthol, which can also be an irritant. My face won't tolerate menthol or synthetic coolants.

That was super info.👍

Reactions: Kix
Well each of us have different skin, our skin reacts to different products differently.

Think you found culprit. Did you wash out New Brush prior to use. Do you rinse brush post use, and hang handle up? Bristles down to dry?

Washed, rinsed and properly dried bristles down. I even washed again with shampoo to rule out the dirty brush hypothesis. It also got some direct sunlight to “help”.

That’s some great info right there. Thank you for that specific detailing. I wasn’t at all aware of those ingredients being potentially irritating.

I got the red tube, bought locally in Bergamo-IT.

The weird thing is, that highlighted ingredient isn’t listed on the packaging.

Different manufacturing location? Or maybe it’s just hidden in there? Not sure if it’s allowed to do that.

IMG_5640.jpeg

Last edited:
Well if you are a person who gets allergic reactions.

You could use product for year, then one day you breakout.

Might be time to change cream, or soap.

Well if you are a person who gets allergic reactions.

You could use product for year, then one day you breakout.

Might be time to change cream, or soap.
No allergies that I’m aware of. Literally first time.

But Palmolive is out. Too many great creams here, it’s not worth fighting an unknown weird reaction.

No allergies that I’m aware of. Literally first time.

But Palmolive is out. Too many great creams here, it’s not worth fighting an unknown weird reaction.

Could be an ingredient in “P” brand your skin don’t like.

If you find product your skin like why use anything else?

Washed, rinsed and properly dried bristles down. I even washed again with shampoo to rule out the dirty brush hypothesis. It also got some direct sunlight to “help”.

That’s some great info right there. Thank you for that specific detailing. I wasn’t at all aware of those ingredients being potentially irritating.

I got the red tube, bought locally in Bergamo-IT.

The weird thing is, that highlighted ingredient isn’t listed on the packaging.

Different manufacturing location? Or maybe it’s just hidden in there? Not sure if it’s allowed to do that.

View attachment 1658973

I thought you might have gotten an older tube without Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde. Since it is banned in EU, Palmolive would have had to reformulate the ingredients in current production to eliminate it. However, the listing on your package lists that it has been replaced by Hexyl Cinnamal and Linalool. While not banned, hexyl cinnamal is considered to be a potential allergen. Similarly, Linalool can cause sensitivity in some individuals. These synthetic fragrance chemicals are not an issue for most people, but might be for a small percentage of the population.

I thought you might have gotten an older tube without Hydroxyisohexyl 3Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde. Since it is banned in EU, Palmolive would have had to reformulate the ingredients in current production to eliminate it. However, the listing on your package lists that it has been replaced by Hexyl Cinnamal and Linalool. While not banned, hexyl cinnamal is considered to be a potential allergen. Similarly, Linalool can cause sensitivity in some individuals. These synthetic fragrance chemicals are not an issue for most people, but might be for a small percentage of the population.
I'll keep an eye for those. I have so many soaps and creams that I am pretty sure one of them might have those listed, I'll look later.

Thank you once again sir.

Top Bottom