What's new

"There is a Vector back in the den!"

In June 2019 I purchased my first Blackland Vector. Earlier this year while downsizing my vintage and modern collection I sold my Blackland Blackbird and Vector. Well, it was not long after the downsizing that I asked myself why did I sell either razor. At the time my collection had grown to a number that too many razors were not in the rotation so I selected vintage and modern razors to sell that if I changed my mind I could circle back and repurchase. A couple of months ago a nice Blackbird was offered on BST and I made the purchase and posted " There is a “Bird” back in the den!"

Now I can post "There is a Vector back in the den!"
This time I purchased both the SB and the OC versions in the machined finish. Like the Blackbird, this razor is another exceptional offering from Blackland. In June of 2019, I posted a review of the Vector so in this post I will post the highlights of that older post and finish with a comparison of the Vector SB vs. the Vector OC.

The old review:
I own the machined version Vector because I thought that with Shane’s simplistic design of the Vector the polished version was overstated.

Out of the box, my first shave was great however I was not happy with the extremely thin handle and the razor was dainty vs. my DE and GEM collection (especially when one of your DE's is a Timeless with the 100mm handle). The more I experimented with different handles I continued to come back to the stock Vector handle. It provided the maneuverability necessary to complement the razor.

I discovered that the blade angle is not as important with Vector as with other single edge razors (especially GEM's). You can go shallow or steep and shave unscathed. The amount of pressure is also not much of an issue as long as you do not get careless.

Fast? How fast would you like to shave? This baby can go through the gears without missing a whisker or creating a wound. The narrow head and cap allow me to shave in any direction: chin, neck, around my ears, and under my nose with confidence.

I like that I can get a good shave with several different blades (we like choices). KAI mild, KAI Protouch, Proline, Feather Pro, and Feather Super all performed well. I get the smoothest most efficient shave from the Feather Pro when I reduce my speed (very sharp blade) and I get the most consistent shave with the Proline without speed concerns. I have tried both creams and soaps with the Vector and prefer cream with the Vector.

There are a couple of downsides to the Vector:

It will screw up your razor rotation and force you to pick up a razor other than the Vector to justify keeping your collection together. However as good as the Vector is, I'm still keeping my other toys in the rotation especially to enjoy and appreciate the history of the older razors (don't mess with my Aristocrat or G Bar).

Be careful, cover the drain, the Vector parts (head and base) are so small that if you slip or fumble it’s down the drain before you can react, and then you are on the bench for the remainder of the game.

I like to disassemble my razors for cleaning after every shave, so with the Vector when you disassemble the razor for cleaning or a blade change and then reattach the handle, take the time to properly line it up. It's not a big deal but it takes more attention than your other handles.

Finally due to very tight build tolerances and the dainty head, changing the blade takes some concentration or you will bleed.

New thoughts:

I have learned to enjoy and appreciate the thin Vector handle. It fits the head design well and contributes to the Vectors maneuverability.

My new Vector has the same tight build tolerances but the blade removal is now much easier.

I have a Vector, a Blackbird, and a Sabre, all machined finished. As far as my preference the Blackland razors were built for the machined finish look.

I have owned several AC razors and this is the only one you need.

The SB base and the OC base provide the same efficient excellent shave. Basically, there is zero blade feel with either base however you will feel the teeth of the Open Comb version. The Open Comb feel is not harsh by any measure but you will know that it is different than the SB. I think that the Open Comb is slightly more efficient and would be the preferred choice for a stubborn beard or a beard that has grown a day or 2 longer than your normal shave routine. I have both bases and I will keep both especially during the COVID lockdown the OC will be put in the rotation when I am able to skip a day or 2 of shaving or just want to have the OC feel.

Finally, if you shave your head this is the razor you want.

Vector.jpg

Now I need to add the Dart.

3 Pak.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In June 2019 I purchased my first Blackland Vector. Earlier this year while downsizing my vintage and modern collection I sold my Blackland Blackbird and Vector. Well, it was not long after the downsizing that I asked myself why did I sell either razor. At the time my collection had grown to a number that too many razors were not in the rotation so I selected vintage and modern razors to sell that if I changed my mind I could circle back and repurchase. A couple of months ago a nice Blackbird was offered on BST and I made the purchase and posted " There is a “Bird” back in the den!"

Now I can post "There is a Vector back in the den!"
This time I purchased both the SB and the OC versions in the machined finish. Like the Blackbird, this razor is another exceptional offering from Blackland. In June of 2019, I posted a review of the Vector so in this post I will post the highlights of that older post and finish with a comparison of the Vector SB vs. the Vector OC.

The old review:
I own the machined version Vector because I thought that with Shane’s simplistic design of the Vector the polished version was overstated.

Out of the box, my first shave was great however I was not happy with the extremely thin handle and the razor was dainty vs. my DE and GEM collection (especially when one of your DE's is a Timeless with the 100mm handle). The more I experimented with different handles I continued to come back to the stock Vector handle. It provided the maneuverability necessary to complement the razor.

I discovered that the blade angle is not as important with Vector as with other single edge razors (especially GEM's). You can go shallow or steep and shave unscathed. The amount of pressure is also not much of an issue as long as you do not get careless.

Fast? How fast would you like to shave? This baby can go through the gears without missing a whisker or creating a wound. The narrow head and cap allow me to shave in any direction: chin, neck, around my ears, and under my nose with confidence.

I like that I can get a good shave with several different blades (we like choices). KAI mild, KAI Protouch, Proline, Feather Pro, and Feather Super all performed well. I get the smoothest most efficient shave from the Feather Pro when I reduce my speed (very sharp blade) and I get the most consistent shave with the Proline without speed concerns. I have tried both creams and soaps with the Vector and prefer cream with the Vector.

There are a couple of downsides to the Vector:

It will screw up your razor rotation and force you to pick up a razor other than the Vector to justify keeping your collection together. However as good as the Vector is, I'm still keeping my other toys in the rotation especially to enjoy and appreciate the history of the older razors (don't mess with my Aristocrat or G Bar).

Be careful, cover the drain, the Vector parts (head and base) are so small that if you slip or fumble it’s down the drain before you can react, and then you are on the bench for the remainder of the game.

I like to disassemble my razors for cleaning after every shave, so with the Vector when you disassemble the razor for cleaning or a blade change and then reattach the handle, take the time to properly line it up. It's not a big deal but it takes more attention than your other handles.

Finally due to very tight build tolerances and the dainty head, changing the blade takes some concentration or you will bleed.

New thoughts:

I have learned to enjoy and appreciate the thin Vector handle. It fits the head design well and contributes to the Vectors maneuverability.

My new Vector has the same tight build tolerances but the blade removal is now much easier.

I have a Vector, a Blackbird, and a Sabre, all machined finished. As far as my preference the Blackland razors were built for the machined finish look.

I have owned several AC razors and this is the only one you need.

The SB base and the OC base provide the same efficient excellent shave. Basically, there is zero blade feel with either base however you will feel the teeth of the Open Comb version. The Open Comb feel is not harsh by any measure but you will know that it is different than the SB. I think that the Open Comb is slightly more efficient and would be the preferred choice for a stubborn beard or a beard that has grown a day or 2 longer than your normal shave routine. I have both bases and I will keep both especially during the COVID lockdown the OC will be put in the rotation when I am able to skip a day or 2 of shaving or just want to have the OC feel.

Finally, if you shave your head this is the razor you want.

View attachment 1182734

Now I need to add the Dart.

View attachment 1182736

Excellent write-up! 👍

Been shaving, a lot, with my Blackland Razors instruments: Vector (OC & SB), Blackbird (OC & SB), Sabre (L2) and Dart.

Love 'em all. Outstanding performance and comfort. 👍

Just my opinion. :cool:

Would you recommend the Vector for someone who already has the Sabre? The Sabre is my only Blackland razor and I love it. I've been using it all this month and am getting excellent shaves with the L1 plate.

I would. As much as I love the Sabre (a lot) I find Gem blades to be very harsh (for me) until they get a fair number of shaves on them. There are many AC blade choices and a Vector offers options for variety or fine tuning. For example I have come to appreciate guarded blades like the Kai ProTouch. No loss of closeness (for me) comes with bonus of added comfort and carelessness. Still have the option for Prolines and an assortment of Feather guarded and unguarded, of varying exposure. One month I did extended runs with both and liked them both, and plan to keep and use both. But if I HAD to have only one, it would be the Vector.

I have the Sabre and the Vector. Both are great shaves however the choice of AC blades vs GEM blades provides more versatility with the Vector. I use a Proline most of the time in my Vector but I also use a Feather or KAI on occasion. I think that the Proline provides a smoother shave than any GEM blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Would you recommend the Vector for someone who already has the Sabre? The Sabre is my only Blackland razor and I love it. I've been using it all this month and am getting excellent shaves with the L1 plate.

Between the Sabre and the Vector.....

Kind of like trying to decide between the Chateau Margeaux and the Chateau Lafite. Both are certainly included in my list of "The Best". ;)

The Sabre L1 is milder than the L2, which is fairly close to the Vector SB. The Vector OC is a step up in efficiency.

I like both GEM and AC blades, but reach for the Vector OC the most because of how nimble it shaves.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't want to have to be without both.

Just my opinion. :)

Hmm, thanks for the advice everyone. I've actually never tried an AC razor as I started with the GEM format and really liked it. The ability to pick different blades to vary the shave is appealing. Sounds like I'm going to need to try the Vector, just to make sure.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, thanks for the advice everyone. I've actually never tried an AC razor as I started with the GEM format and really liked it. The ability to pick different blades to vary the shave is appealing. Sounds like I'm going to need to try the Vector, just to make sure.

That's the spirit! 😎

Nice thing about the Vector OC is that it matches up nicely with the Kai and Feather guarded blades. Mild but still efficient shave. And really nimble.

YMMV :)

Top Bottom