What's new

There is a slight hump in the middle of my strop

I got a vintage horse #1 strop and it looks awesome but when I went to use it I noticed that there is a slight hump in the middle of the strop. So when I am stropping my razor you can tell there is a hump as it discolors the area of the hump since the razor and edge pass over it. It also has a very heavy draw. My question to those who have more knowledge than me is there any way to correct it or will it go away with use?
Lastly you can barely feel the hump when you pass your palm over it. I have some concerns that this can cause damage my razors edge.

Let me know what you think.

I got a vintage horse #1 strop and it looks awesome but when I went to use it I noticed that there is a slight hump in the middle of the strop. So when I am stropping my razor you can tell there is a hump as it discolors the area of the hump since the razor and edge pass over it. It also has a very heavy draw. My question to those who have more knowledge than me is there any way to correct it or will it go away with use?
Lastly you can barely feel the hump when you pass your palm over it. I have some concerns that this can cause damage my razors edge.

Let me know what you think.

Also forgot to mention that after I strop the razor and especially razors that have an angular spine, I end of with a streak of leather on the spine. I am assuming this is coming from the area of the strop where the hump is at.

Also forgot to mention that after I strop the razor and especially razors that have an angular spine, I end of with a streak of leather on the spine. I am assuming this is coming from the area of the strop where the hump is at.

It will not hurt your razors. If you end up with leather residue on the spine then your strop has too much oil on it or is a poor quality leather. The "heavy draw" comment leads to the former.
Many old strops were folded for storage (just about the worst thing you can do to a strop) It takes a very long time to get bumps out but they will subside over time.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree, it’s probably been over oiled by a forum guy, lol. Try washing it in plain soap and water, maybe changing the water several times, then dry it between two flat boards as Iwasaki recommended to keep it from curling as it dries. Wetting and drying it should take the hump out if it was from being folded. Pics would help.

Here is a picture of the strop after stropping my razor. The hump is now very visible. If I rub my palm on it it goes away.

Attachments

• 9EE31EF0-DDA2-4C0F-A7A1-C1805B0DC326.jpeg
    9EE31EF0-DDA2-4C0F-A7A1-C1805B0DC326.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 6000D42A-F9AF-47E1-974B-201AED867D71.jpeg
    6000D42A-F9AF-47E1-974B-201AED867D71.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
Flex the leather and bend it how you want it. Don’t overdo it and crease it, but it is leather so you can reshape it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The pictures have revealed the obvious problem.

That's not horse hide. Nope.

It's camel leather. THAT'S where the hump came from!

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
That is red latigo actually. One I built maybe 13 or 14 years ago. I used a horsehide tamp the first year or two that I made strops and only used red latigo back then.

Most of my strops will have a very slight high center the entire length which has not been a problem for most. Lots of age and who knows what done to that one over the years could have caused some changes. Over oiling is a big one or depending where it was in the country it may have dried out and then got freshly oiled.

Maybe try flattening it buy rubbing with the palm down the center, end to end very gently imparting a reverse curve to the convex that is there now but being careful to not reverse it so much the surface buckles or wrinkles.

While not technically a true vintage strop, some of mine are getting old enough (just like me) to need treatment as if they are vintage.

Hope this helps a little

Mr. Miller, pleasure you meet you. I have been working the leather some and it has improved some. I got this strop recently on the bay from a supposed estate sale.

Top Bottom