What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I was interested in it after seeing Paul H shave with it. Couldn't decide on the colour so I bought one of each :001_rolle...and some shave sticks for travel. Gotta have my 'Club Guy' lather on the road :laugh:

I think this design would be difficult to do in stainless. If they do it, it would probably have to be sintered rather than machined, I would think.

I don't know why they don't think about plated brass; it would be less expensive but equally durable.

I think this design would be difficult to do in stainless. If they do it, it would probably have to be sintered rather than machined, I would think.

I don't know why they don't think about plated brass; it would be less expensive but equally durable.

For SS, we have this example:

http://timelessrazor.com/products/troch1-stainless-steel-open-comb-razor-head

and for brass we have this:

http://www.charcoalgoods.com/safety-razor-heads/machined-safety-razor-head

Hopefully PAA won't be charging as much.

I asked Douglas Smythe about it and he told me that it was already announced during the wetshaving round table (I believe episode 55 around 15 minutes) and even posted a picture. I think the handle isn't the actual handle, but I'm not sure. According to him, the release will be some time during fall.

I put it as an attachment, hope it works.

Attachments

• $FB_IMG_1471617529718.jpg
    $FB_IMG_1471617529718.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 154
Wow. Interesting. Totally changes the look of the razor, doesn't it? They also changed the design of the top cap considerably. Look at the comb in the top cap on the current nickel-plated razor versus the stainless steel version. The "teeth" look totally different. Even the number of teeth has been changed.

All changes were likely necessitated in order to be able to make it in stainless. I wonder if they also changed the blade exposure and/or aggressiveness of the razor? I wonder what the price point will be? I think it is probably sintered. I wonder where they'll have the razors made?

All I can tell you is that it supposedly shaves BBS and David Gonzalez (spelling?) from So Sharp Limited apparently shaved his butt with the prototype lol At least I think that is the guy in the video. If not I apologize.

Okay, I am officially impressed. Now if the price is significantly south of $180 like the other two examples I posted a link to, I might have to start saving my money. Got to go out to plant my broccoli now to supplement my food bill for fall when the razor hits the market.

I just realized, did I offend the board rules by bringing the razor up/posting a picture?
I recall that discussing kickstarter projects here is in violation of the rules. If so, I apologize to the admins/mods. Just delete my comments if that is the case.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm still experimenting with the PAA slant, but my Tech definitely shaves me closer. The Ikon Tech cleans up my neck like no other DE razor. It gets me smooth, whereas most other razors leave stubble behind. The Ikon Tech has thus far gotten me smoother shaves, but I'm only two shaves in with my PAA slant.

@efsk & @1Vader I've also ordered the Phoenix slant, and a few more, when I got it I will give you a feedback. I also can compare it to the r41.

Many thanks for this! I love love love my Tech especially on my neck. I'll stay tuned on the thread but I think I won't buy for now.

I just realized, did I offend the board rules by bringing the razor up/posting a picture?
I recall that discussing kickstarter projects here is in violation of the rules. If so, I apologize to the admins/mods. Just delete my comments if that is the case.

I don't think so. This is an established company that has been bringing out new and different versions of an old razor, and they are just bringing out more. And they have released this info elsewhere.

Look at all the discussion the Tech 11 got on the board before the product became available!

Well my PBOCS arrived today and I'm excited!!

There's been a lot of mixed reports in this thread so I really want to see for myself.

The Bakelite slant can seem quite an alien concept in a world of Gillettes and Edwin Jaggers but I love them so will the PBOCS make the grade?
proxy.php
It really does torque the blade and there is an ILLUSION of uneven blade exposure due to the twist on the blade but if you look along the length of the edge (rather than down on it) then you can see that the blade exposure is regular and even.
proxy.php

The tabs on my blade did scrape the pins but that's only going to happen once, right?

This seems like a real deal Bakelite slant that could have just come through a time machine from the 1930's.
Beautiful!
proxy.php

Here it is next to the Superlite and an original pre-WW2 white slant:
proxy.php

Here's the thing - if you're not used to Bakelite razors and not used to vintage slants then this razor is surely going to SHOCK and SURPRISE you...

...Sight unseen this razor seems true t o the spirit of the vintage bakelites but only the shave test will tell...
proxy.php

Last edited:
I asked Douglas Smythe about it and he told me that it was already announced during the wetshaving round table (I believe episode 55 around 15 minutes) and even posted a picture. I think the handle isn't the actual handle, but I'm not sure. According to him, the release will be some time during fall.

I put it as an attachment, hope it works.

I did an inquiry the other day (actually I first praised them for their bakelite slant) and just received a response this morning. The good news is that the SS DOC may be released as early as next week. the bad news is that it will probably be in the $150-200. The not as bad news is that they will soon follow with a machined aluminum version (I guess they see what kind of mileage Ikon has been getting with their machined aluminum heads). Hopefully the price for that will be closer to the Ikons.

Next week? Wow. I'm not shocked at the price, but I'll hold off until I see some reviews. I don't want to order something from Europe blind.
In the meantime the Rockwell 6s is my next target.

I normally shave at bedtime to save time in the morning. But last night I dozed off unshaven, and this morning I was in a rush, so I grabbed the PAA and did one pass with it. I probably could have gotten away with that one pass, but I took a bit of extra time and did an additional XTG pass -- but only on my neck. With 1.5 passes, in a rush, I had a SAS with no blood at all (which was good, because when you're in a rush, who has time for styptic pencils?)

Used my bakelight tonight. Got a ccs out of it. No problems. Didnt stick together. Didnt have to do extra passes. Just a good shave. Next time i might try to work it a bit more and get the bbs shave. Seemed easy enough to use. Still not sure the angle of the blade made much difference. But i got a slant now that does work for me.

Wow, cool!

I'm on the fence with this but for $20 bucks.. oh well.. might as well try.

I wonder how this compares with Maggards Slant.

Nice, I appreciate the insight. The Maggards does indeed look to be more aggressive of the two.

You all should be doing some research. The Maggard Slant is made in Pakistan and you can find it here:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Maggard-Safety-Razor_50027947070.html

I posted a link to the PAA Bakelite on Alibaba.com a week ago here, but it was taken down soon after.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/500162-PAA-Bakelite-Slant?p=8521242#post8521242

You can still find it in Google cache at the link below. You're all getting excited over a razor made in China that costs maybe about 30¢ to 40¢ to manufacture.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....om_60516590501.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

That said, none of us have access to the cost of materials and labor that go into the Merkur razors or the exact markup, and I have blade exposure problems on both my Progress and Futur, but I know that if I want to shave with a very light piece of plastic, I'll either buy the Wilkinson DE razor or use my disposable cartridge razors.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You all should be doing some research. The Maggard Slant is made in Pakistan and you can find it here:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Maggard-Safety-Razor_50027947070.html

I posted a link to the PAA Bakelite on Alibaba.com a week ago here, but it was taken down soon after.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/500162-PAA-Bakelite-Slant?p=8521242#post8521242

You can still find it in Google cache at the link below. You're all getting excited over a razor made in China that costs maybe about 30¢ to 40¢ to manufacture.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....om_60516590501.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

That said, none of us have access to the cost of materials and labor that go into the Merkur razors or the exact markup, and I have blade exposure problems on both my Progress and Futur, but I know that if I want to shave with a very light piece of plastic, I'll either buy the Wilkinson DE razor or use my disposable cartridge razors.

How were you able to find those alibaba links?

Top Bottom