What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Just got done with my first shave. Apparently the blade exposure is part of the design as the shave went extremely well. Not having an original Fasan, I don't know if that is what it is supposed to be like. One thing I noticed immediately is that contrary to a lot of the other slants I have shaved with, this one requires a very steep angle, something I learned shaving with a straight and a Gem type razor. WTG went very well and I was debating if I should do XTG and ATG because it was close to a DFS. I did ATG only to see if the problems reported earlier was what I experienced. At first there was audio feedback and so I went with a steeper angle and it worked great. I did touch up with XTG, but the razor shaved very well. When I unscrewed the head to take out the blade, I noticed the blade was bent at the area where the head pin secured it. Definitely shows that it was torqued to the extreme. Overall a great razor for the money, but I am not sure how long it will last as it was bakelite and severely torqueing a blade.

My first shave was last night. I used a Treet Black Beauty blade, and got a very good shave from this not-especially-sharp blade. I agree that a steeper angle is needed than average, but finding the right angle was easy because there was significant audible feedback when the blade was cutting, and because there seemed to be a fairly narrow angle within which it will cut. (If you go too steep or too shallow, the audible feedback just disappears making it easy to tell that the blade is no longer cutting anything.) There was little blade feel on the face.

I did a full three-pass WTG/XTG/ATG plus touch-ups on my neck (as is usually necessary). No blood at all, not even a weeper, which is a pretty good result from the very first use of a new razor. I did experience a teeny bit of irritation on my neck -- perhaps because I buffed too much ATG. But I have to say that with some other razors that are not considered aggressive, the same ATG buffing on my neck would have left a multitude of weepers. I did not feel that I was putting pressure on my face but because the razor is so light I felt that it could easily bounce off my face if I didn't hold it firmly in place. It was a strange sensation.

This is my third slant, but my second twisted slant, the other two being the Ikon Shavecraft 102 (tilted but not twisted) and the Ikon SS slant (twisted). For me the Ikon SS is a risky razor; it readily bites and leaves me with nicks unless i am exceedingly careful and go extremely slowly. I attribute that to the blade gap. The Ikon 102 has been my daily driver because of its combination of efficiency and smoothness. So far, I would rank the PAA as more comfortable and less risky (because of the practically nonexistent blade gap) than the Ikon SS and more efficient, but perhaps less smooth, than the 102. Of course, I've only shaved with the PAA once, so that conclusion may be modified as I get more experience with the PAA.

Next shave will be the PAA with a sharper blade than the Treet. And at some point I intend to try putting a heavier handle on it (assuming the short post will allow me to do that).

I'd always imagined that slants would work better with carbon steel blades like the Treet Black Beauty because carbon steel likes to slice (think Gillette Slide)...

Now that i've shaved with the razor i can say it's a keeper for now. It was much smoother than i imagined.

Only downside is that uneven blade exposure but the milder side of the razor work great with a Wilkinson blade.

Trying to resist the fierce temptation.

Lovely razors, especially for the price! :thumbup:

Mine came today, so I loaded it up and gave it a shave.

Resulting shave is not so great overall. Lots of patches I couldn't get effectively due to the grain restrictions, and my neck feels rather abused. Denouement: I'm not sold on it. TBH, the plastic feels like it will be very short lived...

I watched a Youtube review last night and as soon as I saw it, my first inclination was to check Alibaba.com to see if there's a similar one made in China. Check the bulk wholesale price. What do you suppose the manufacturing cost is?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/0817-2016-China-High-Quality-Custom_60516590501.html

I watched a Youtube review last night and as soon as I saw it, my first inclination was to check Alibaba.com to see if there's a similar one made in China. Check the bulk wholesale price. What do you suppose the manufacturing cost is?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/0817-2016-China-High-Quality-Custom_60516590501.html

Wow! I knew that the Superlite was made in China and that's a fine razor (if you'll pardon the pun).
Just been having fun with the Futur Clone too, so I guess Chinese QC has improved greatly...

...Is this the actual Phoenix BOCS or just something similar?
If the minimum order was 100 instead of 1000 it would be seriously worth considering.

Well, unless PAA ordered more than 1000 or been a long time customer, I am thinking their unit cost was closer to $5 than to 80 cents. Assuming the usual costs associated with bringing it in to the USA and marketing cost and the risk if they don't sell 1000, I would say that $20 each is reasonable.

I just had my 3rd shave with it today with the first one being rough and gradually getting better as I figure out technique with it id have to agree that I'd go with a steeper angle than normal as well.

After having shaved with mine a few more times... It's gotten a little better, but not much. It's definitely a very efficient razor, and the comments about it being super-easy to find the right blade angle are spot-on.

However for me it's also a very uncomfortable razor. My problems with the blade chatter (I think that's the right term: the blade catches, flexes, and springs back with each hair) on ATG passes hasn't diminished. Still cannot go ATG: the blade just hooks on hairs and stops in it's tracks most of the time, and when it doesn't, it chatters and tugs so much I can't stand it. I get less break outs and redness on my neck than with my DOC, but I get weepers which I never get with the DOC.

But WTG, it cuts way, way more efficiently than the DOC. Just not smoother.

So it's not the slant (or razor in general) for me. I'll have to keep looking. And I'm on a timetable now, apparently, as my DOC is starting to show signs of corrosion and plating rubbing off. After only maybe three months of use. Yippie.

I seem to be having dreadful luck with DEs. Each one I've tried has added a feature to my "do not buy" list, and now all that's left are the expensive high end ones and the vintage ones (which are often relatively cheap, thankfully).

I feel I should clarify:

I don't believe any of the above (in regards to the Bakelite slant) is attributable to design or manufacturing issues. I think it's just the way my hair grows that doesn't get along with the design. Apart from the plastic shaving and the slight blade exposure difference between edges, I can't find anything about it that seems to me in any way off from what it theoretically should be. Seems like a well made razor, for the price. It just isn't a good razor for me.

Last edited:
G'day
proxy.php

Has anybody tried the new NICKEL Plated Phoenix Double OC Safety Razor before I order this soon when is back in stock, because this double open comb looks bloody cool I would love to hear you're feedback.

Cheers :thumbup:

proxy.php

Last edited:
They look cool, but from reports here, they are extremely mild shavers. Are you looking for a mild razor?
[MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION] it doesn't matter if this razor is mild compare to my most favorite Fatip with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle, because I've NEVER seen a double open comb before because it looks cool.

Just remember to add the PAA bakelite slant in your cart at the same time when you get around to ordering this razor just in case the DOC is not as efficient as a razor.

Maybe more weight? SS Handle and held at the end of the handle might help. I dont have mine yet so dont know if the handle is interchangable. Just an idea. Good luck with how ever you go.

[FONT=&amp]Complete Length: 3 Inches
Weight: 56 grams
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Handle Weight: 36 grams[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Satin Finish Plated Brass[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Head: Satin Finish Plated Zinc Alloy

I like the handle, I'd say go for it, whenever they have some to get.[/FONT]

If they would drop the zamac and go full brass, I'd buy one in a second (and pay a bit more for it). Until then, I wait and lose a little more interest every day.

Top Bottom