What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Looks from this thread and the YouTube reviews that everyone is going for the black one. Why is there no love for the white? To me the white see more true to its vintage origins. Should I rethink my preference to white before ordering.

Black don't show blood as easily.

For me black is just a nice change as I usually shave with SS other than my blackland blackbird. So now I have a black straight bar and an all black slant.

Looks from this thread and the YouTube reviews that everyone is going for the black one. Why is there no love for the white? To me the white see more true to its vintage origins. Should I rethink my preference to white before ordering.

I have a white '30's slant and the grey Superlite so black was the logical choice here.
But yeah again, please make a transparent one!

I like white, but black slightly edged out for me. I would totally get a white one if I decided to double dip lol. Anyway, two shaves in with this razor and I'm liking it. I had a rough shave the first time because I decided to take a cool shower instead of my normal warm to hot shower. It proved to be a fatal mistake as the blade pulled and tugged. Using the exact same setup (except now the blade had been used once), it cruised like I wanted it to the first time. I still got some nicks, but that's user error. Obviously, I should know better than to be reckless on my upper lip. In terms of efficiency, I'd say it's somewhere in the ballpark of a Fatip Grande/Piccolo. It takes a decent amount of hair off with each pass, but if you skip a few days of shaving, you may find that you need more than 3 passes if you're chasing that BBS. If I'm being completely honest, I did 5+ passes on my neck and I still feel stubble, but I can only get a true BBS on my neck with a beast of a razor (like an Ikon Tech).

Last edited:
Had my firstshave with this razor yesterday an I must say: it was awesome. Placing blade and fitting handle was easy as pie, razor has massive blade exposure but zero bladegap, and shaves loud, efficient and deep. Compared to the X3 and the Razorock37 this wins hands down. I now have to order the white as well :)

Had my firstshave with this razor yesterday an I must say: it was awesome. Placing blade and fitting handle was easy as pie, razor has massive blade exposure but zero bladegap, and shaves loud, efficient and deep. Compared to the X3 and the Razorock37 this wins hands down. I now have to order the white as well :)

A reassuring report that has made me even more excited for my PBOCS to arrive!
Thanks [MENTION=107383]efsk[/MENTION] [emoji3]

Well with folks now ordering both black and white you can mix and match and come up with a zebra theme with both razors. Kind of reminds me a long time ago when the public library was primarily into loaning out books, a kid in front of me checks out two of the same children's book and when the librarian ask why he'd doing that, he said it was because he liked the story so much he wanted to read it again.

If you like how it shaves enough to make it a daily driver, then buying two is a good idea. So many of these modern razor companies are small boutique operations. You never know what's still going to be in production years from now, so having a spare of a favorite razor in case it gets broken or lost seems smart. I'd only do that if it was one I considered a daily driver, though.

Can only speak for myself, but I ordered the black one because I though it would look better when paired with an aftermarket metal handle. I'm not really a retro or nostalgia kind of guy, so vintage-ness as a visual aesthetic isn't a factor for me.

I haven't shaved with it yet -- that will happen later tonight -- but given the discussion here of blade alignment/exposure, I couldn't wait to load a blade and see how even (or uneven) it was.

Since I bought the white model, I decided to load it with a Treet Black Beauty, figuring that this would maximize the visibility of any blade alignment/exposure issues.

Loading it was easy, although I have to say that the noise it made as I tightened the handle and torqued the blade was a little odd.

Anyway, here it is after the first attempt at loading a blade:

$_MG_8464.jpg$_MG_8466.jpg$_MG_8467.jpg

If you look at the top of the photos, it appears that the edge of the blade is not exactly parallel to the edge of the top cap, nor is it exactly parallel to the edge of the baseplate -- but it's not too far off from parallel. Looking at the bottom of the photo, the other edge of the blade appears to be similarly situated with respect to the edges of the top cap and baseplate.

Looking at exposure: it appears that the blade exposure is not symmetrical; there is greater exposure along the bottom of the photo than along the top. But it's not a drastic difference.

Looking forward to the first shave with it. And if I notice different exposure/alignment with other blades, I will post new photos.

Put my order in at 2am this morning and already got a shipping number. I ordered the white one. Thought it would stand out more in my display case. When I ever get one. ha. Also ordered the Rapira PL Razor. This RAD is killing me. Luckily I can have things sent to my work address so the wife don't see all the packages coming in. :blink:

If you like how it shaves enough to make it a daily driver, then buying two is a good idea. So many of these modern razor companies are small boutique operations. You never know what's still going to be in production years from now, so having a spare of a favorite razor in case it gets broken or lost seems smart. I'd only do that if it was one I considered a daily driver, though.
Good idea. I've done this with vintage razors that are scarce. Wish I had done this with my last pair of shoes, which I love and are now unavailable.

I can confirm it's real Bakelite now. Since I don't care so much about the condition of the handle on mine, I held a lighter to a spot on the bottom rim to see how the plastic would react.

The heated spot expanded slightly, smoked a little, and the mold seam developed a slight rough texture, but it did not melt or otherwise change appearance. There was a slight odor, which I recognized from cutting Bakelite parts on other projects years ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good idea. I've done this with vintage razors that are scarce. Wish I had done this with my last pair of shoes, which I love and are now unavailable.

Plus one to the shoes. I got a great deal on some Timberland casual ones that are no longer being made. The soles were literally in pieces when I retired them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well with folks now ordering both black and white you can mix and match and come up with a zebra theme with both razors. Kind of reminds me a long time ago when the public library was primarily into loaning out books, a kid in front of me checks out two of the same children's book and when the librarian ask why he'd doing that, he said it was because he liked the story so much he wanted to read it again.

Hey, I remember that day, that kid was me! I always tell my wife to write her letters to me slowly because I don't read very fast!

Top Bottom