What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I ordered the Pheonix DOC razor and it came in yesterday, in it I got a sample of their after shave balm. All I can say is this has to be the best balm I have ever used maybe the mix is just right for my skin. I was talking with my wife and I had some redness from using the DOC (great razor BTW) I put on my got to adidas pulse splash and thought why not try the balm out. My wife mean while was catching me up on her day while I was putting it on and continued to listen when she stopped talking and said "what ever that is order more the redness is gone" I look in the mirror and it was.

So great product Check it out and the DOC its a good razor as well!

I just ordered a couple of their balms, (Cavendish and Beach), along with another of their soaps (Beach). The Cavendish is amazingly good as a soap. I'm glad to hear that the balms are just as good.

Ok Shavewizard, I left the lid off for the past hour. I'm in the living room watching my NY Mets, and what do I keep smelling, Lestoil!
Not that it's horrible, but I really hope your idea works and the strength is weakened a little by leaving the lid off. The bonus is, if my wife walks in, she'll say, oh, did you clean the bathroom Johnny Boy? Haha!

lol that's good it can earn a few points with the wife. I have noticed that strange scent with P&B soaps at first as well, I left the lid off for a few days and it went away, which I hope works for you also. Excellent performance, and I have come to love many of their scents. I sure hope you can get rid of that Lestoil type of scent.

lol that's good it can earn a few points with the wife. I have noticed that strange scent with P&B soaps at first as well, I left the lid off for a few days and it went away, which I hope works for you also. Excellent performance, and I have come to love many of their scents. I sure hope you can get rid of that Lestoil type of scent.

Thanks, I'll leave the lid off for a week.

anyone know the difference between the PAA Scentless aftershave (red label with a Pinocchio looking fellow on it) and the PAA SIN (purple label)

Both are scentless splashes but I cant figure out the difference.

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at these also. Main difference seems to be ingredients and intended use. I've not used either but "Sin" seems to be an alcohol based splash. "Scentless" seems to be a more all around beneficial skin product with no alcohol. Once I go through a few more things I have I'd like to pick up one of each to try.

UPDATE WITH CALIPER MEASUREMENTS...

When I performed the photo analysis on how blade exposure, guard span, etc., vary with blade reveal with the PAA DOC Satin and a Wilkinson Sword blade, I didn't have a caliper. After recently purchasing the iGAGING OriginCal 0--6 in. Absolute Origin IP54 Digital Caliper, I can now take measurements of blades and razors that I couldn't do before. In particular, I just took measurements that back up my photo analysis with respect to the maximum "blade play" that came from it.

Based on my measurements with the inside measuring faces of my digital caliper, the width of the center cutout of blades varies from 2.13 mm to 2.25 mm across some different used blades that I measured. To make sure that any blade fits a razor, any center bar on the razor needs to have a width that accommodates the smallest blade cutout width. The tradeoff with shrinking blade alignment bar width is that blade play increases, which increases the chances for blade alignment issues.

proxy.php

As shown in the picture above, there are two bars on the top cap of the PAA DOC Satin, one bar on each side of the threaded post. Now that I have a caliper, I was able to measure the two blade alignment bars of the PAA DOC Satin as having a width of about 1.90 mm near the top cap where the blade sits. For the Wilkinson Sword blade that I used in the photo analysis, I have now measured the cutout width as 2.18 mm, which appears to be a fairly nominal value based on my cutout width measurements for other blades. This results in a theoretical blade play of 0.28 mm (= 2.18 mm - 1.90 mm). The maximum blade play with the PAA DOC Satin and a Wilkinson Sword blade that I found through my photo analysis was 0.25 mm. My photo analysis of the PAA DOC Satin with a Wilkinson Sword blade yielded 0.25 mm of maximum blade play and I just estimated 0.28 mm using some quick caliper measurements of the blade and the razor. Not bad! :)

The thinness of the blade alignment bars on the top cap of the PAA DOC Satin should guarantee that any blade fits, but the bars are thinner than necessary, accounting for the vast majority of blade play that occurs. This is a design flaw. Instead of a 1.90 mm width, the blade alignment bars on the top cap should have a width that is more like 2.10 mm or more, which would resolve the vast majority of blade play that currently happens with the PAA DOC Satin while still allowing for all or almost all blades to fit.

Anyone else put their order in? It released today. Unfortunately I have to have them postpone shipping due to my move but I reserved one none the less. I'm excited to try it as it's based off the fasan single slant and those tend to go for decent money on the auction site. So for $20 what's one more slant for the collection right?

Thanks to Play mentioning it in another thread, I headed over to the PAA site this afternoon and ordered one. I'm kind of excited because this is the OC slant done in Bakelite like the original one. The Fine Superlite came out earlier and was supposed to be a clone of the safety bar version, but it was done in ABS plastic. Good while it lasted, but when the Wunderbar and X3 came along, it got sold. One less thing to watch out for on eBay and cross my fingers when I put in a bid.

This is a revival of an excellent razor known as Fasan No.1. I have the Fasan and it gives me the closest and longest lasting DE shaves, even better than my RazoRock Wunderbar. It is also smoother than the Wunderbar IMO. Using light pressure is most important or else it will nick you if using certain blades. The Fasan is so good that sometimes I think I should get rid of my Fine Superlite and my Wunderbar.

It seems the Fasan was not an open comb version of the infamous German bakelite slant which the Fine Superlite is based on. I have the Fine Superlite and comparing it to my Fasan, they both have very different geometry and require slightly different angle of shaving.

I ordered the PAA in black since I already have the original in white.
$IMG_20160507_221450.jpg$CAM00845.jpg$CAM00846.jpg

Last edited:
Original looks awesome. I ordered mine in black as well. If I like the shave I'll probably get a white one as well because why not. I love slants so very excited. Should be waiting for me when I reach the final destination of my move along with the wunderbar I ordered.

That's an incredibly good price for a slant razor. I hope the handle also has the brass insert but I imagine it does. The Fasan slant has always been a wish of mine to get but this is a very satisfactory alternative. Nice going PAA!

I ordered one, too, and I can't wait to try it. There have been a lot of affordable slants released lately (iKon X3, RazoRock German 37, Maggard, Fine, etc.). I've been tempted to try them all, and at these lower prices, it's not such drain on the bank account.

-- Sammy

I wish PAA made it in transparent resin, like the original.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Attachments

• $rasierer-fasan-in-verpackung~5.jpg
    $rasierer-fasan-in-verpackung~5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 648
Top Bottom