What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I guess what I'm talking about is the angle at which the blade cuts a hair. With a curved blade The Edge cuts the hair at a shallow angle which in my opinion is more efficient. Like you said correlation is not causation though.

The typical "blade angle" between the blade plane (of the blade popping straight out from the razor) and the shave plane (that spans across the guard span and the top cap) is 30 deg. Shallow blade angles, such as 24.4 deg with the PAA DOC, are said to be less efficient/effective, while larger blade angles are said to be more aggressive/effective at cutting hair.

The typical "blade angle" between the blade plane (of the blade popping straight out from the razor) and the shave plane (that spans across the guard span and the top cap) is 30 deg. Shallow blade angles, such as 24.4 deg with the PAA DOC, are said to be less efficient/effective, while larger blade angles are said to be more aggressive/effective at cutting hair.
I've never agreed with that line of thinking, but to each their own

I've never agreed with that line of thinking, but to each their own

Actually, I'm not sure where the truth is on that, but I know what is said about it. The $299 OneBlade company reports that the optimum blade angle is 31.3 deg. Who knows? :001_smile From my experience with the PAA DOC, I am able to decrease the effective blade angle by applying pressure and riding the top cap with a larger handle angle. I do this above the lip when first starting my ATG pass, in order to more gently tackle the stubble, and then I decrease the handle angle back to normal to finish off the ATG pass above the lip. In general, lower blade angle is more gentle and higher blade angle is more aggressive. A blade angle of 0 deg would have a real hard time cutting hair close to the skin, and actually a 90 deg blade angle in just trying to scrape the hair wouldn't do so well, either. Those are the extremes. In between, one guy might find that he likes a lower blade angle while another guy might find that he likes a higher blade angle, just as one guy might like a different blade exposure as opposed to another guy. This is why doing photo analysis of razors is very valuable. The more quantitative data we get, the more we can figure out what parameter values work best for us individually.

Last edited:
I used thus today for the first time so here's my review.
A rich creamy lather was achieved in about a minute. So I'll give it a 10 on that.
Slickness was great, I'll give it a 9. I was able to touch up without re-lathering getting no irritation or razor burn.
The lather stayed soft and cushiony without drying up throughout my shave.
Scent, that's the part I'm struggling with. It's supposed to be citrusy with a hint of lime. Unfortunately, it reminds me of Lestoil. I really want to like the scent, but it is a little overpowering. My question is, does anyone else feel the same way?
I would really appreciate the feedback.

A rich creamy lather was achieved in about a minute. So I'll give it a 10 on that.
Slickness was great, I'll give it a 9. I was able to touch up without re-lathering getting no irritation or razor burn.
Scent, that's the part I'm struggling with. It's supposed to be citrusy with a hint of lime. Unfortunately, it reminds me of Lestoil. I really want to like the scent, but it is a little overpowering. My question is, does anyone else feel the same way?

proxy.php

Spiez, I get a great lime scent, the cedarwood, and a healthy amount of the patchouli which I think you may be referring to. I personally love the addition of patchouli.

Kerry's soaps, have become my favorite, even above Sudsy Soapery, the Nuavia soaps, Mike's, Haslinger or even Czech & Speake. That says a lot indeed. His ingredient list, formulation, scent & performance/post shave has surpassed all those mentioned above in my den.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thanks for the write-up, [MENTION=110692]Spiez[/MENTION] . I have not used this brand yet, but it's always great to learn something new. As for scents, it's funny how scents trigger different memory association with us, isn't it?

Spiez, I get a great lime scent, the cedarwood, and a healthy amount of the patchouli which I think you may be referring to. I personally love the addition of patchouli.

Kerry's soaps, have become my favorite, even above Sudsy Soapery, the Nuavia soaps, Mike's, Haslinger or even Czech & Speake. That says a lot indeed. His ingredient list, formulation, scent & performance/post shave has surpassed all those mentioned above in my den.

Thanks vtmax, I'm probably over reacting a little. I will tell you, the performance is fantastic. I'll take a look at the ingredients when I get home from work today. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Thanks for the write-up, [MENTION=110692]Spiez[/MENTION] . I have not used this brand yet, but it's always great to learn something new. As for scents, it's funny how scents trigger different memory association with us, isn't it?

It is funny, at least it's a good memory of when my mother used Lestoil to clean the bathroom.

This is one I keep reading good things about and it was already on my want to try list. Seeing that you've rated it above Sudsy Soapery and Nuavia I'm even more interested in it now. Does it have the over the top slickness and mositurizing that I'm finding in Nuavia and Sudsy Soapery or is it just another solid, excellent performing soap like so many others out there?

Your impressions are similar to mine (we both love this soap)...except when it comes to scent. I thought the smell wast just okay and somewhat weak in strength. Did you find the smell to be overpowering or was it the strength of the scent that was too much for you?

When I buy some Phoenix and Beau I will definitely chose a different scent.

dfoulk, it's tough to top Sudsey Soapery post shave with all those butters but I just prefer the P&B all around. The slickness and moisturizing matches SS and surpasses Nuavia for me. I love their gentle EO scents.

Probably due to two magical ingredients the others leave out:
Organic Coconut Milk (no coconut oil)
Allantoin (miracle ingredient)

This is one I keep reading good things about and it was already on my want to try list. Seeing that you've rated it above Sudsy Soapery and Nuavia I'm even more interested in it now. Does it have the over the top slickness and mositurizing that I'm finding in Nuavia and Sudsy Soapery or is it just another solid, excellent performing soap like so many others out there?

I rate SS above P&B...but not by much.

Using my scientifically tested (by scientists at MIT) rating system:

Nuavia > MdC > Pure20 > Sudsy Soapery > Phoenix and Beau

Nuavia = 10
MdC = 9.7 (this one should score much lower because the post-shave sucks...but I like to cheat)
Pure20 = 9.5 (this one should score lower because of the meh scent...have I mentioned that I like to cheat?)
Sudsy Soapery = 9.5
Phoenix and Beau 9.3

WSP Formula T = 9.2
Barrister & Mann Glissant = 9.2
Midnight & Two = 9.1

It's slightly over to top in every aspect. I just wish it had a more lime/citrusy scent. I am definitely keeping it in my rotation.

QUOTE=Elvergun;8418500]Your impressions are similar to mine (we both love this soap)...except when it comes to scent. I thought the smell wast just okay and somewhat weak in strength. Did you find the smell to be overpowering or was it the strength of the scent that was too much for you?

When I buy some Phoenix and Beau I will definitely chose a different scent.[/QUOTE]

The smell is a little too Lestoily in my opinion, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. But don't forget, everyone's brain processes the senses differently. I don't want to discourage you from trying the soap based on my opinion alone. The smell may actually appeal to you.

If the scent seems weird leave the lid off for a few days. Citra Roayle was my first P&B soap. Phoenix & Beau is one of the best performing soaps I have tried (over 200 soaps) some of the scents are a bit strange at first, but now I can't stop sniffing the tubs. Excellent preformance and some unique scents. Sanskrit, Citra Royale, and Solaris are the ones I like most. Albion is a decent scent as well.

If the scent seems weird leave the lid off for a few days. Citra Roayle was my first P&B soap. Phoenix & Beau is one of the best performing soaps I have tried (over 200 soaps) some of the scents are a bit strange at first, but now I can't stop sniffing the tubs. Excellent preformance and some unique scents. Sanskrit, Citra Royale, and Solaris are the ones I like most. Albion is a decent scent as well.

Which one do you like the best? And what does the scent of that one remind you of? I'm thinking of buying a tub (of anything but the Citra Royale) and I don't know which one to get.

Ok Shavewizard, I left the lid off for the past hour. I'm in the living room watching my NY Mets, and what do I keep smelling, Lestoil!
Not that it's horrible, but I really hope your idea works and the strength is weakened a little by leaving the lid off. The bonus is, if my wife walks in, she'll say, oh, did you clean the bathroom Johnny Boy? Haha!

Phoenix and Beau do great soaps, personally I've got Spitfire and Denali and the Denali is pretty much all I'm using this summer.

I'm not keen on anything toting itself as Lime though, everything I've smelt like that smells like toilet cleaner. Maybe try getting another soap if the scent is bothering you that much? You can't go wrong with one of their soaps.

Their second seasonal soap is going to be out at the end of the month. "Star Noir".

Phoenix and Beau do great soaps, personally I've got Spitfire and Denali and the Denali is pretty much all I'm using this summer.

I'm not keen on anything toting itself as Lime though, everything I've smelt like that smells like toilet cleaner. Maybe try getting another soap if the scent is bothering you that much? You can't go wrong with one of their soaps.

Their second seasonal soap is going to be out at the end of the month. "Star Noir".

Do you know the scent of the "Star Noir"?

Top Bottom