What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Excellent, the 89 is a fantastic choice! I think everyone here will learn something from that examination. Keep up the good work, when you're done this should be a sticky at the top of the page.

Thanks, rockclimber! I will definitely keep going with photo analysis. (By the way, I really like your soap-making thread! Keep that up, too!) The Dorco PL602 is next, which is an inexpensive plastic razor and doesn't really compare to metal razors, in my opinion, but I'll post pictures and measurements and comment about my bad experience with it. Some guys like the razor because it works for them, so my measurements might come in handy. I'd love to see tons of razors reviewed with photo analysis, too, but not by me! :001_smile I need help! :laugh: It is my hope that others will get involved with analyzing the razors that they own, especially the classic and stainless steel razors. No one person can be expected to buy and analyze all of the razors out there, you know? It should be a team effort with more and more guys becoming more and more used to seeing measurements to the point of expecting them and comparing them between razors to figure out what works for them and for particular blades. In that process, we should all get away from blade gap, which is virtually useless, and focus on blade angle, blade exposure, guard span, etc. Since I need to move on from the PAA DOC and get a razor that's more suited for me, I've already ordered a classic to analyze and shave with . . . The EJ DE89! Actually, I ordered the EJ DE89 head on what is called the EJ Kelvin, specially made for Amazon and currently priced a little over $29, having the EJ DE89 head on a handle that is similar to the Merkur 34C handle. I figured that the EJ DE89 was a good step for my own experience and for documenting its dimensions to share with the wet shaving community since the EJ DE89 is a modern-day classic.
How does a disposable razor keep its sharp effective shave edge versus a Double edge blade such as Astras and Feather ?

Thanks, rockclimber! I will definitely keep going with photo analysis. (By the way, I really like your soap-making thread! Keep that up, too!) The Dorco PL602 is next, which is an inexpensive plastic razor and doesn't really compare to metal razors, in my opinion, but I'll post pictures and measurements and comment about my bad experience with it. Some guys like the razor because it works for them, so my measurements might come in handy. I'd love to see tons of razors reviewed with photo analysis, too, but not by me! :001_smile I need help! :laugh: It is my hope that others will get involved with analyzing the razors that they own, especially the classic and stainless steel razors. No one person can be expected to buy and analyze all of the razors out there, you know? It should be a team effort with more and more guys becoming more and more used to seeing measurements to the point of expecting them and comparing them between razors to figure out what works for them and for particular blades. In that process, we should all get away from blade gap, which is virtually useless, and focus on blade angle, blade exposure, guard span, etc. Since I need to move on from the PAA DOC and get a razor that's more suited for me, I've already ordered a classic to analyze and shave with . . . The EJ DE89! Actually, I ordered the EJ DE89 head on what is called the EJ Kelvin, specially made for Amazon and currently priced a little over $29, having the EJ DE89 head on a handle that is similar to the Merkur 34C handle. I figured that the EJ DE89 was a good step for my own experience and for documenting its dimensions to share with the wet shaving community since the EJ DE89 is a modern-day classic.
Wouldn't technique be on top of the analysis results as a significant variable to the better shave results too?

The PAA DOC is definitely not the only razor with negative blade exposure. The Merkur 33C (Classic), for example, has a negative blade exposure. Also, the Feather AS-D2 has a negative blade exposure and a large guard span. The large guard span, as with the PAA DOC, gives enough room for the skin to get in there and make contact with the blade edge that has a negative blade exposure. The interesting thing is that large negative blade exposure can be viewed as "mild" while large guard span can be viewed as "aggressive". It is their values and the ratio of these values that helps define the overall "feel" of the razor-blade combination. The exposure-span ratio for the PAA DOC is around -0.1, which should be considered "mild", I think, but this ratio doesn't tell the whole story since the large guard span makes you more likely to feel the blade and snag on skin. To reduce drag ATG above the lip with the PAA DOC, even with a very sharp blade, I've learned to increase the handle angle and kind of "ride the cap" with added pressure before dropping to a more normal handle angle to take care of the shortened stubble. I believe that the large guard span of the PAA DOC potentially allows more skin to bunch up in front of the blade edge.

You are right that added pressure might be needed to shave with a recessed blade, depending on whether the spans are large enough to accommodate for the negative blade exposure. From my limited experience, I think that added pressure can only get you so far. With the PAA DOC, added pressure helps get a closer shave, but I can add a lot of pressure and still not get BBS in some areas. The blade angle factors into efficiency, too. I don't know what the blade angle is of the Merkur 33C or Feather AS-D2, but the blade angle of the PAA DOC is 24.4 deg, which is quite shallow and makes the PAA DOC less efficient than it could have been, which some people might see as a function, not a bug. I have not yet experienced what it is like for a razor to "cut like butter" or what it is like to use no extra pressure and just use WTG and XTG passes to efficiently cut stubble. The best that I've been able to do is get decent shaves with XTG and ATG passes, including buffing and added pressure, and still end up with visible and touchable hair remaining, particularly on the chin.
So you may have a varying opinions or insight as you analyze different shave gear in your experiments?

Excellent, the 89 is a fantastic choice! I think everyone here will learn something from that examination. Keep up the good work, when you're done this should be a sticky at the top of the page.
I agree, but there must be significant members contributing to help with the proper unbiased results, just one member doing it by himself may be too over burdening.

Wouldn't technique be on top of the analysis results as a significant variable to the better shave results too?

alex2363,

You make a good point. Technique, shave prep, lather, the blade choice, etc., are all variables that we deal with when evaluating how a razor feels and performs. This is why MEASUREMENTS are so valuable. Measurements for a razor-blade combination stay the same from person to person, even when one guy might not like the shave while another guy likes the shave. Measurements of blade angle, blade exposure, guard span, etc., can help each of us figure out what razor properties and blades work best for us. We just have to have the data and then look at it to correlate parameter values with razor-blade performance. I think that even with one's own particular technique, shave prep, lather, etc., one would be able to figure out what works best for him and then use that information when considering another razor to purchase. I got going on this train of thought after buying and using the PAA DOC based on what people had to say about it and how it compared to the DE89, etc. There were no measurements and I didn't know to even ask or what to look for. I was just doing my best to pick the best razor for a beginner like me. In time, with gained wet shaving experience and improved technique, I figured out that the PAA DOC was not working out so great for me, and then I dug deeper to figure out why and what happened. The engineer in me kicked in and I got to where I am now, advocating and performing measurements so that we can figure out what dimensions work best for us individually so that we can make more informed and better purchases.

So you may have a varying opinions or insight as you analyze different shave gear in your experiments?

I make my own measurements and give my own opinions on how I think the dimensions relate to my shaving experience, but I leave it to you and others to offer your thoughts and feedback, too. Your opinions matter just as much. A certain razor-blade combination might work great for me but not work so great for someone else. Hopefully, when evaluated against measured dimensions, we can each figure out what values work best for us on an individual basis.

I agree, but there must be significant members contributing to help with the proper unbiased results, just one member doing it by himself may be too over burdening.

Yes! Since I started doing photo analysis of razors and posting here, I've advocated that others try to do the same or get involved. I can only photograph the razors that I get my hands on, which are razors that I'm buying for myself. However, without having a razor, I can do the analysis if someone provides sufficiently focused and accurate close-up photos down both edges of the razor blade, similar to the photos that I take, with a scale/ruler properly in the picture. I can offer instructions and advice on how to do this. My digital camera is several years old and I'm able to take pictures that are good enough. If others are comfortable with doing the analysis of the photos, then that's great, too, as long as they know what they are doing. :001_smile Maybe we could get something going in the future with others sending me their razors to photograph and analyze. Whoa! Now that's an idea! :001_rolle

You can probably RSS the blade exposure and blade gap to get a standardized "aggressiveness" number.

For example:
For the DOC
An=sqrt((.47)^2-(.21)^2)
An=.4205

For a non negative exposure with large blade gap (I just reversed the DOC exposure)
An=sqrt((.47)^2+(.21)^2)
An=.5148

If you had a maximum value (let's say a merku futur on 6.5, blade exposure is made up since I cannot find it anywhere)
An=sqrt((1.75)^2+(.21)^2)
An=1.7625

Therefore the DOC would have an aggressiveness of 2.385 and the futur would be a 10.

Curvature of the blade may need to be worked into this somewhere, but it wouldn't be a bad start.

You can probably RSS the blade exposure and blade gap to get a standardized "aggressiveness" number.

For example:
For the DOC
An=sqrt((.47)^2-(.21)^2)
An=.4205

For a non negative exposure with large blade gap (I just reversed the DOC exposure)
An=sqrt((.47)^2+(.21)^2)
An=.5148

If you had a maximum value (let's say a merku futur on 6.5, blade exposure is made up since I cannot find it anywhere)
An=sqrt((1.75)^2+(.21)^2)
An=1.7625

Therefore the DOC would have an aggressiveness of 2.385 and the futur would be a 10.

Curvature of the blade may need to be worked into this somewhere, but it wouldn't be a bad start.

Thanks for the input, paintflinger. The thought of an "aggressiveness" formula has crossed my mind, but I know that it's too early to come up with something reliable, and I might never be able to come up with something good. Any model should make sense and capture the mechanics involved. Your calculations, for example, include blade gap, which has very little to nothing to do with aggressiveness, with razor feel and performance. Blade exposure, guard span, and blade angle would be the main parameters that I'd include and start with. Adding more parameters might be necessary, but they would add to the modeling complexity. Curvature of the blade, by the way, would not need to be included. There is no curvature on the part of the blade that you see with "blade reveal", the part that matters. The blade just shoots straight out from razor to the blade edge. Any wiggle across the blade edge would be negligible in a model.

Thanks for the input, paintflinger. The thought of an "aggressiveness" formula has crossed my mind, but I know that it's too early to come up with something reliable, and I might never be able to come up with something good. Any model should make sense and capture the mechanics involved. Your calculations, for example, include blade gap, which has very little to nothing to do with aggressiveness, with razor feel and performance. Blade exposure, guard span, and blade angle would be the main parameters that I'd include and start with. Adding more parameters might be necessary, but they would add to the modeling complexity. Curvature of the blade, by the way, would not need to be included. There is no curvature on the part of the blade that you see with "blade reveal", the part that matters. The blade just shoots straight out from razor to the blade edge. Any wiggle across the blade edge would be negligible in a model.

Fair enough. I can't see the photos to see what you are calling blade exposure/gap and was just using them for example.

I do think that blade curve is important though. Something like the '13 R41 that curves the blade improves it's efficiency and tones down the aggressiveness imo. Somehow I'd work that in there.

Fair enough. I can't see the photos to see what you are calling blade exposure/gap and was just using them for example.

I do think that blade curve is important though. Something like the '13 R41 that curves the blade improves it's efficiency and tones down the aggressiveness imo. Somehow I'd work that in there.

You can't see the photo on page 1 in the original post? I'm sorry about that. I've never heard of anyone having problems seeing my pictures. Here is the URL outside of B&B for the picture:

http://imgur.com/a/9vl8W

Regarding blade curvature, there is practically none on the blade from the razor to the blade edge. The blade is like a cantilever beam, freely hanging from its support with no bending moment or shearing force (neglecting weight, which is fine to do here), which then results in a straight blade jutting out from the razor. I think that you have correlated razors that bend blades more under their top caps with increased efficiency and less aggressiveness, but correlation does not prove causation.

You can't see the photo on page 1 in the original post? I'm sorry about that. I've never heard of anyone having problems seeing my pictures. Here is the URL outside of B&B for the picture:

Regarding blade curvature, there is practically none on the blade from the razor to the blade edge. The blade is like a cantilever beam, freely hanging from its support with no bending moment or shearing force (neglecting weight, which is fine to do here), which then results in a straight blade jutting out from the razor. I think that you have correlated razors that bend blades more under their top caps with increased efficiency and less aggressiveness, but correlation does not prove causation.
Nothing wrong with the link, they're just blocked at work.

I guess what I'm talking about is the angle at which the blade cuts a hair. With a curved blade The Edge cuts the hair at a shallow angle which in my opinion is more efficient. Like you said correlation is not causation though.

Top Bottom