What's new

Theft, I detest it

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A UPS package was stolen from our front door this afternoon. To me, a very important package that I have anxiously been waiting on.

I work from home so I heard the package being dropped off and the quick ring of the doorbell. I finished what I was working on and was at the door about 3 minutes after the delivery. Open the door to find nothing. I checked the immediate area and no sign of the package. Walked out to the street to see if any persons were around and nothing. Perplexed, I went back to my office and tracked the delivery and sure enough tracking showed delivery just 8 minutes prior. Spidey senses activated. And I was starting to get angry.

I got in my car to take a wider scan of the area and found the UPS driver one block over. He confirmed that the package was indeed delivered and offered to return to my residence just to make sure he didn't deliver to the wrong house (which I knew wouldn't be the case). He was amazed that the package was gone. Also, he was very helpful. He immediately called his dispatcher and gave me a number to call to open a case with UPS. I called the police.

I feel very angry, and violated. I can't relate to taking other peoples property. Dirt bags.

Pissed.

Police came this evening and gave me a case number. Not much they can do. Officer said that package thefts are getting so bad there's talk locally of making it a felony.

The item, a vintage motorcycle shock that I had sent out for rebuilding, is something few people can use, or even sell unless you know exactly what it is and what it fits.

So mad.

I loathe thievery.

I've only had things stolen that were delivered to the wrong address and then kept, but I still fell your pain. I have several neighbors who have lost items delivered to their front porch, so now I specify back porch, or more often, I have them delivered to my work address where they come to my mailbox. Seems like the safest option, though it means I don't get my hands on the delivery until a day or so after the stated delivery date. It seems that academia is slow in every respect...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That stinks. That the stolen item will probably end up in the trash only makes it worse.

Decades ago, pre AC, one very hot and humid night my wife and I were sleeping on the big front porch. A thief walked past us, into the house, grabbed some stuff. I awoke as he was leaving.

Oh, man, the sense of violation!!!

OP, bet your thief follows delivery trucks, staying a couple blocks back. He/she will be caught. And given a slap on the wrist.

Seem like this is becoming the prefered profession having taken the lead from drug dealer. Rewards are lower but so are the risks and anyone can do it. No training required.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I watched that glitter bomb video a while back. IIRC he said he called the police and they woudln’t even come out. I’ve heard it from others too. They won’t send a squad to your house you have to go down to the station and file a report.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I get everything delivered to work ... no porch drop. To my mind, the delivery company doesn’t do its job leaving a package vulnerable.

I recently made a shaving item trade, in which my item was marked as delivered, but I received nothing. After filing a complaint with the postmaster and communicating with the trader, I found out he sent it to the wrong address. The postmaster and trader missed this. Luckily when I went to where the item was shipped, they gave me my package. Make sure he sent it to the correct address.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
That stinks. That the stolen item will probably end up in the trash only makes it worse.

Exactly. Not only that but this project I am working on, the timeline and budget are now blown. What a waste, and for what? To possibly score a mundane Amazon order?

Seem like this is becoming the prefered profession having taken the lead from drug dealer. Rewards are lower but so are the risks and anyone can do it. No training required.

The responding officer agrees with you. He said it's getting very bad. Interesting that he mentioned women are the majority of perpetrators for this type of thing. I'm not sure what to make of that. Makes sense I guess, non violent crime.

I get everything delivered to work ... no porch drop. To my mind, the delivery company doesn’t do its job leaving a package vulnerable.

The delivery company in this case did fine. Our porch landing is not visible from the street and the package was against the landing wall, out of sight. Good idea having items shipped to my wife's office, especially the important ones.

Unbelievable! Maybe get the ring door bell

I looked into that a couple years ago but it won't work in our case. Our doorbell faces the opposite wall of our small porch, not out to the walk and there is no option for mounting with line of sight out the the walk. I've considered a game/trail camera but again, mounting in a place that would be effective is the challenge.

I forgot to mention in my OP that the UPS driver mentioned that there was a car parked on the street in front of my house when he made the delivery (he couldn't offer a description), that was gone when I initially checked the area. Could have been just a crime of opportunity, or perhaps a stake out. I hear that there are those that follow the delivery trucks or stake out their routes. Who knows.

I'm still smarting from this fiasco

I set up a PO box at a nearby UPS store, and have all my packages sent there. They're even nice enough to call me when something big comes in. Best thing I ever did to stop theft.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Used to cut off the hand of a thief. It helped. Even if the thief was a child.

My wife's car was broken into in the driveway. They did more damage to the vehicle breaking in than the value of what they took + we found the stuff they took in the neighbor's yard. The thief decided it wasn't worth keeping. There's a special place in hell...

This happened to a neighbor. UPS dropped off a package in their backyard, behind a wooden fence (can't see back there). Talk about bad timing. According to a witness, a lady walking with a young child saw the UPS driver delivering. Used the child as a lookout and stole the package.

Cops in the neighborhood setup a sting and caught a few iirc. No surprise they werent from around here.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
This happened to a neighbor. UPS dropped off a package in their backyard, behind a wooden fence (can't see back there). Talk about bad timing. According to a witness, a lady walking with a young child saw the UPS driver delivering. Used the child as a lookout and stole the package.

Cops in the neighborhood setup a sting and caught a few iirc. No surprise they werent from around here.

As if I wasn't mad enough, this story is infuriating.

That kid should turn out well... :001_rolle

If caught, child rearing privileges should immediately be revoked

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Exactly. Not only that but this project I am working on, the timeline and budget are now blown. What a waste, and for what? To possibly score a mundane Amazon order?

The responding officer agrees with you. He said it's getting very bad. Interesting that he mentioned women are the majority of perpetrators for this type of thing. I'm not sure what to make of that. Makes sense I guess, non violent crime.

The delivery company in this case did fine. Our porch landing is not visible from the street and the package was against the landing wall, out of sight. Good idea having items shipped to my wife's office, especially the important ones.

I looked into that a couple years ago but it won't work in our case. Our doorbell faces the opposite wall of our small porch, not out to the walk and there is no option for mounting with line of sight out the the walk. I've considered a game/trail camera but again, mounting in a place that would be effective is the challenge.

I forgot to mention in my OP that the UPS driver mentioned that there was a car parked on the street in front of my house when he made the delivery (he couldn't offer a description), that was gone when I initially checked the area. Could have been just a crime of opportunity, or perhaps a stake out. I hear that there are those that follow the delivery trucks or stake out their routes. Who knows.

I'm still smarting from this fiasco
ring now has different mounting brackets for side angle and such dont know if you looked into that sometimes its just the deterrent

Top Bottom