What's new

Theft, I detest it

I have a Nest Doorbell cam. Let's you know when your doorbell has been rung and films any movement/person on the front steps and driveway leading to the steps. Oddly it has increased my anxiety! Now I know exactly when my parcel has been dropped off and that no one's home to get it. It's in plain sight of the road. No houses on the other side of the road. All sorts of people going door to door on a regular basis etc. Luckily our next door neighbor doesn't work and is happy to pick it up for us. I've lost a couple Amazon parcels pre Nest cam. Maybe I will also get a locking mailbox!

Came out to my car this morning to find that it had been rifled. It is possible I either failed to lock the doors last night, or that they became unlocked through jostling in my pocket (I occasionally set off the "alarm" this way). Regardless, there was no forced entry to the vehicle and, while I should be grateful that my $100.00 Oakleys were left behind, as well as 65 cents in change, it pisses me off that $6.00 in twonies were stolen.

I would, at the moment, happily take a hammer to the toes of the person responsible, after tying them to a chair.

Came out to my car this morning to find that it had been rifled. It is possible I either failed to lock the doors last night, or that they became unlocked through jostling in my pocket (I occasionally set off the "alarm" this way). Regardless, there was no forced entry to the vehicle and, while I should be grateful that my $100.00 Oakleys were left behind, as well as 65 cents in change, it pisses me off that $6.00 in twonies were stolen.

I would, at the moment, happily take a hammer to the toes of the person responsible, after tying them to a chair.
I'm the Army I learned an expression over and over again: It can always be worse! Still sucks though. Happens in my neighborhood a lot too.

Oh I know . . . I feel silly being so upset over $6.00 . . . I've given more than that away (at times) to people begging on the streets, and certainly more to various "causes" that drop by the house canvassing.

But there is still a part of me that reacts angrily when someone is going through "my stuff".

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The dollar amount isn't the point, for me.

Sorry @Bakker1964 , that sucks. I get how you're feeling, trust me. Toes would be the least of a perps problem if I had any say in the matter.

I recently joined the Neighborhood app. Lot's of complaints around us about property crimes. Local police do nothing really, unless damages exceed $750.

I suffered a theft at work. Thief was a non-employee (truck driver) who I allowed to use my washroom. Serves me right for being a decent guy. Reaction from Police was, "meh". Flat out told me I could file a report, but that the idea of them coming out to try and take fingerprints (all carriers I deal with are bonded) was a non-starter. My response was less than politic.

I felt the same way a couple of years ago when my family and I came out to the car to leave on vacation and found the driver’s window broken. They left a bunch of pre-packed valuables, and only took an old GPS worth about $20.00. We keep the garage clean now and always park inside. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...

Top Bottom