What's new

Theft, I detest it

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Any serial numbers on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, and l take digital pictures of all the various assemblies/parts when I disassemble a motorcycle. The serial number was furnished to the police when they came to file the report. In this case, the serial number is on a label that is applied to the shock's reservoir, so it wouldn't be difficult to remove, but thieves aren't always the brightest. I have my eye out...

About 2 1/2 years ago...middle of the day, crowded market in suburban Atlanta, Buford Highway. Rear window smashed out of the Explorer. 5.11 backpack taken.
Inside change of clothes, shave kit (including T-I straight and Muhle brush, medications..among other stuff) and...fully loaded Beretta 9mm. After all “No Firearms Allowed” sign posted on the market door. And of course me wanting to be the law-abiding sort...uh huh.
Lesson learned there. No more to say on that other than I did discover such notices and signage in Georgia holds no real authority.
Only reason the police even showed up to take a report was because a firearm was involved. Thieves are scum.....

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Yes, and l take digital pictures of all the various assemblies/parts when I disassemble a motorcycle. The serial number was furnished to the police when they came to file the report. In this case, the serial number is on a label that is applied to the shock's reservoir, so it wouldn't be difficult to remove, but thieves aren't always the brightest. I have my eye out...
Well hopefully it turns up in a swap shop or something. I feel your pain.

I've been looking into getting a drop box for my porch. Home Depot sells this model.
browns-tans-architectural-mailboxes-parcel-drop-boxes-6900rz-64_1000.jpg

Dang, that stinks. As a fellow motorcyclist, I can appreciate the need for good suspension and if the bike is vintage, that’s even more of a PITA to replace. I hope someone in your community is able to help you track down the shock (and the perp).

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Dang, that stinks. As a fellow motorcyclist, I can appreciate the need for good suspension and if the bike is vintage, that’s even more of a PITA to replace. I hope someone in your community is able to help you track down the shock (and the perp).

Yeah, it stinks allright. Brand new RaceTech internals in the lost one. Still hurts...

A bit of good news. I found a replacement really cheap on eBay. It looked like hell in the pics and seller claimed it was untested and working condition was unknown, but for $30 shipped I took a chance. At the very least I could use it for parts and I wouldn't be out much (more) money.

I received it Fri. and indeed it looked like hell, but I tore it down and in reality it was only surface dirt. Bench testing showed very good damping and it cleaned up very nicely. I'll send it in for rebuilding eventually but it's good enough to use for now and riding season is upon us. So as the saying goes, "**** it, run it"

Last edited:
Yeah, it stinks allright. Brand new RaceTech internals in the lost one. Still hurts...

A bit of good news. I found a replacement really cheap on eBay. It looked like hell in the pics and seller claimed it was untested and working condition was unknown, but for $30 shipped I took a chance. At the very least I could use it for parts and I wouldn't be out much (more) money.

I received it Fri. and indeed it looked like hell, but I tore it down and in reality it was only surface dirt. Bench testing showed very good damping and it cleaned up very nicely. I'll send it in for rebuilding eventually but it's good enough to use for now and riding season is upon us. So as the saying goes, "**** it, run it"
Well, not a best-case outcome, but workable. As we used to say at my previous company, Enjoy the Ride!

Glad you got a second chance. Good things happen to good people.

My daughter's security camera, filmed a couple guys trying to open the car doors around 03:30 this morning. The security light came on and they ran off. She said a neighbor several houses down had a window smashed out of one of their cars. Ski masks and hoodies so no good identification.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My daughter's security camera, filmed a couple guys trying to open the car doors around 03:30 this morning. The security light came on and they ran off. She said a neighbor several houses down had a window smashed out of one of their cars. Ski masks and hoodies so no good identification.

That's terrible FB.

So what security camera's work well? I've been researching Ring and Nest. Both have pros and cons and both get really mixed reviews.

Happened to me once, around Christmas time.
When I am back in the states, I will probably setup a system that detects people approaching the house with an audible "howdy stranger" and a security camera that lights up in a very obvious way. Unwanted guests would mostly rather explore opportunities where they are not being filmed.
I hope the usps/ups/fedex folks would not mind it terribly.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So some good news to wrap up the stolen motorcycle shock saga...

The seller heard from UPS and UPS is paying for the shock work. Not the sales tax or shipping, but I'll net about $250 out of the $300 I lost. There was a bunch of back and forth between myself and UPS, at first they just let the claim expire so I had a word with them and they reopened the investigation. I'm glad I followed up. I'm not complaining though, I'm very happy they came through for a stolen package. Kudos to UPS.

So some good news to wrap up the stolen motorcycle shock saga...

The seller heard from UPS and UPS is paying for the shock work. Not the sales tax or shipping, but I'll net about $250 out of the $300 I lost. There was a bunch of back and forth between myself and UPS, at first they just let the claim expire so I had a word with them and they reopened the investigation. I'm glad I followed up. I'm not complaining though, I'm very happy they came through for a stolen package. Kudos to UPS.

Glad it worked out! Not perfect, but much better than eating the whole cost.

Top Bottom