What's new

Theft, I detest it

shavefan

I’m not a fan
ring now has different mounting brackets for side angle and such dont know if you looked into that sometimes its just the deterrent

Rhody, funny you mention that. I was just looking at Ring's website and they do indeed have more models available than when last I checked. Also, looking at Nest.

Seems like not a small investment if one was to go all out with doorbell, security lights, cams, etc. Sad we have to make our homes into high security compounds.

Last edited:
We now stay home when packages are to be delivered and often meet them outside to get from the drivers. It's a pain I know but that's what we do. We also watch our cameras for the delivery so we are ready.

As if I wasn't mad enough, this story is infuriating.

That kid should turn out well... :001_rolle

If caught, child rearing privileges should immediately be revoked

Yep, dont want say more because I might get carried away. Like you (and most people) thieves make me really angry.

Thankfully they didnt lose anything of much value.

I have cameras all around the perimeter of the house. Not that the thieves are smart enough to look up and see them.

Lot's of "Porch Pirates" around here too. Used to be a problem about the time kids were coming home from school.
Now it's all adult druggies.

Hello Porch Pirate, meet my friend Max. :001_302:

images.jpeg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have cameras all around the perimeter of the house. Not that the thieves are smart enough to look up and see them.

You got that right. One time I worked a case where a couple of guys were breaking into apartment soft drink machines. The cameras caught their truck pulling into the parking lot, and a guy went up to one of the cameras and tore it off its mounting, disabling the camera. What the guys didn't seem to realize was that the camera footage fed back into a remote storage unit that saved everything. His face, plus several tattoos, were very visible on the footage.

Even when showed the video he said "That's not me."

Some crooks are not known to be smart.

People like that are such scumbags. I haven't had any issues with packages but someone stole one of my potted plants last year. At that point there's no monetary value you're just being a....

Just because I'm still very salty about it, a photo of the plant in question. Started it as a top from a store bought pineapple and this was after about 3 years of growth. I hope whoever took it kills the plant or chokes on the fruit.

37256959_10217024185586598_837721907817086976_n.jpg

Thankfully some nice people from the community saw my post about the theft online and gave me two new young plants so I at least didn't have to start again from scratch. But now my plants live inside under a growth light until I buy a house with a fenced in backyard.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do feel your pain, sympathies.

We have cameras all over, but. Years ago, had a peeping Tom. I suppose it's a good thing my plan for him didn't work out...

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It hasn’t happened in my neighborhood (that I know of) yet, but I think that I need to get a PO Box. It is a bit of a pain to have to go to the post office, but the thought of having a handmade pipe stolen from my doorstep makes me feel ill.

That is rotten.

How did you get that to start from a top? never able to get that to happen, and I have tried a lot.

My technique:

-Purchase ripe pineapple. It should smell sweet and have firm green leaves with minimal yellowing or browning. Leaves should stay firm if given a gentle tug, otherwise it may be overripe.

-Twist and pull to remove stem from top.

-Cut up and eat the rest :001_302:

-Remove leaves from the bottom of the stalk until about 0.5-1 inch of the bottom is bare.

-Let stalk sit in a cool dry place for a week. This allows the newly exposed flesh to dry out and harden up a bit.

-Now, some people say to go ahead and plant it at this point, others do the rooting in water method. I went with water, mostly because it's easy to see if it's growing roots or not.

-Using string or toothpicks suspend the plant so just that bottom area of the stalk (that is now stripped of leaves) is in the water. I put mine in a little glass mason jar, and kept it on a desk near a window so it got some indirect sunlight. It may take several weeks (3 to 4 weeks or more) before roots become visible.

-Once roots are growing, plant it in a pot! Fast draining soil should be used. Too much water and these guys are prone to root rot. I use a cactus blend and add in a bit of perlite or pummice. Place the plant in a sunny spot like a window.

-Allow 6-8 weeks for the stalk to become rooted in the soil. Check with a gentle tug. If not rooted, as long is the base isn't rotting, give it more time. The old leaves will brown and die as new begin to form. It will probably be ready for replanting into a larger pot after about a year.

-Water once a week inside. Basically try to not let the soil dry out all the way down, but you don't want it to sit in soggy soil. Just damp. I have a little moisture meter I use to check the soil at root level. They're only a few bucks at any place with gardening supplies.

-Once rooted, fertilize once a month during the summer growing season.

-Does great out in full sun during the summer, just transition it outside in a shady spot first to prevent sunburn. Indoor growth lights also work. Must be inside if it's cold. <45F or so and you risk plant death.

-If your plant is at least around 2 feet tall and has not begun to flower at 24 months of age, you can force it. Easy way (that I've used) is to bag up the plant with a couple bruised or older apples, and let it sit like that in a shady spot for 2-3 weeks. Ethylene gas stimulates ripening, and a flower should start to appear 2-3 months after.

-Once a pineapple is harvested you can let the plant continue to grow. It might produce a second fruit after about a year, and it will produce offspring plants that can be propagated, and should be faster than starting from a stalk again.

I suggest starting with 2 or 3 stalks in case any don't root, or rot. Again, the ripeness has to be right.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That sucks.
If you are getting a lot of deliveries, it may be worth considering a secure drop box for the courier to place your package in.
I've considered one myself but only so I can instruct them to not knock and just place in the drop box.

I try not to wake up grumpy but some days the courier driver wakes her up.

That sucks.
If you are getting a lot of deliveries, it may be worth considering a secure drop box for the courier to place your package in.
I've considered one myself but only so I can instruct them to not knock and just place in the drop box.

I try not to wake up grumpy but some days the courier driver wakes her up.

My apartment building has one and at least half of the time they don’t use it anyway :001_rolle

I wondered if any neighbors might have had their Ring capture the image of the parked car the drive mentioned being on the street at delivery time.

Top Bottom