What's new

The zen of shaving

Interesting article!

At first I going to mention that the seasonal reference in the tea ceremony was mising in the shave experience but then thought the better of it. Others who have many creams and A/S treatments often post how they modify their cologne or cream to suit the season.

One thing I've noticed is how shaving shows me how hurried my default frame of mind is. After years of the Mach3 approach I've developed a 'get it over with' mind set that definitely needs to change before I try the straight. :smile:

Cheers,
Bob

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
Grassplopper,
Are you sure you are not related to the blogger?

The blogger? Aside from my being smarter, sharper, quicker, better looking, and more knowledgeable in the fields of shaving and audio equipment, we could be twins! :lol:

I've been insulted here before, but this one takes the cake.

Leisureguy said:
I wrote what I considered a pretty good post on how similar are the shaving ritual and the Japanese tea ceremony. Take a look if you're interested in that sort of thing...

Along the lines of what you wrote, your article reminded me of a french cooking term called Mis En Place, which is where the cook will get all his utensils out and the ingredients prepped and ready, so when the cooking process begins, he can prepare the meal easily and effortlessly. (here's a picture of mis en place: http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/mis-en-place.jpg ).

To this end I think it should be much the same way with shaving, as far as getting out all your items, putting them in order, and getting them ready so when the shaving begins you can perform the zen-like ritual without intteruption.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
rtaylor61 said:
Yeah, you know the one, titled "Every Shave, Every Day".

Randy

If he's reporting on his every shave, then he must look like Kyle's avatar by now.

Some time back I posted my Shave Zen...

full

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to keep things complete in the forum, here's the post:

It occurred to me this morning, during The Daily Adventure (gold Gem Micromatic, which uses a single-edged blade, Honeybee shea butter shaving soap, Simpson’s brush, Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel), that the shaving ritual has some aspects in common with the tea ceremony:

Special room - check
Special mode of dress - check
Contemplative, unrushed mindset - check
Cleanliness and order - check
Practice of technique requires focused attention (aka flow) - check
Use of special tools, often old - check
Tools both functional and aesthetically pleasing - check
Suspension of mind chatter, critical judgments - check
Senses—sight, hearing, touch, smell—fully engaged - check
Physical enjoyment of sources of warmth - check
Awareness and enjoyment of aromas arising from hot water - check
Definite sequence of steps - check
Specific structure for the entire experience, repeated each time - check

Flow is the state of mind that results when one loses consciousness of self and of time, being totally focused on a task whose intricacy and difficulty requires around 85% of one’s capacity. (If the task is too easy, attention wanders; if it’s too difficult, anxiety results.)

Each person can find tasks appropriate for him or her to promote flow: rock climbing, painting or drawing, gardening, cooking, and the like. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi defined the term in his studies and in the book that emerged from them, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. You can readily score a secondhand hardback in good condition from Abebooks (I just did a quick search and found a hardback in good condition for $1.20), and it’s well worth reading.

Most people know that happiness is a state that generally is recognized only after the fact—at the time, while happy, one is not aware of it per se, but is simply enjoying the moment. Flow, as it turns out, seems to exactly describe that state, so the more flow one can arrange, the happier one’s life.

Shaving, with the right approach and mindset and attention, can promote flow.

rtaylor61 said:
Some time back I posted my Shave Zen...

full

Randy

Does this help you become one with your blade.

Now all you need is a waterfall and some incense...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Suzuki said:
Does this help you become one with your blade.

Now all you need is a waterfall and some incense...:wink:

Actually, the "Shave Zen" is a rock water garden. However, I don't water running around the brushes 24/7, so I've never used the waterfall feature. However, I've been known to burn vanilla incense when shaving.

Randy

.......prepping to be flamed.............

I have to say that it was from "the blogger" that I found this lovely chat space.

I am curious to know:
Why all the hostility?

(too lazy to search and find for myself)

Top Bottom