What's new

The Zebra M701 and F701

I've used two stainless steel Parker Jotters, one with a Fisher Spacepen refill and the other a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil, as my EDC. It works fine, except that the barrel is just slick enough to become tiring over time. The actual Fisher Space Pen has concentric rings near the end that makes it much more comfortable to use, which might mean it's something to do with the cartridge. Anyway, when I saw the Zebra F701 is now all metal, I decided to spring for the M701. You can get a pen and pencil set with both, but I wanted to make sure I was getting an all metal pen.

It came in today. The pen is a fine point, and writes well. Out of curiosity, I checked with a Spacepen refil, and find it works if I leave the Parker adapter off. If you try this, do not use the adapter. It's just big enough to stick in the barrel, and I was fortunate to shake it loose. May tinker with a Signo 207 refill. The cartridge will fit inside the barrel, but is too long. It may not be possible to cut it short enough without getting into the sealant or the ink, but it's something to investigate. The actual Zebra refill for the F701 is a skinny, all-metal thing. I can buy a Zebra refill, but I'm not that big a fan of the ink.

The M701 seems to have an all metal barrel, too. That was a surprise, as it still has the black plastic ring around the button. Unfortunately, it's only available in 0.7mm. Since I've started using that more than 0.5 mm, that's not a problem.

What really pays off is the knurling. That gives a nice, solid, grip. That's exactly what I missed with the stainless steel Jotters.

Be aware that if you're looking for a tactical pen, the F701 and M701 look just different enough to attract attention. Just saying.

Check out some EDC (Everyday Carry) sites for a tutorial on using a Fisher Spacepen refill in an F701. If I remember correctly it involves using a drill bit to slightly open the plastic guide. You'll also find a DIY all metal F701 from when the F701 had a plastic top. Glad to see they caught on to people hacking an F501 to make an all metal F701.

Top Bottom