What's new

The Wunderbar is wunderbar!

I recently picked up a RR Wunderbar and its a wonderful razor. The blade sits in it perfectly every time and with a Feather blade in it, the razor doesnt even feel like its cutting but the hair just melts off.
It is interesting that many seem to think that its a pretty aggressive razor but I find it to be quite mild, with minimal blade feel and even with Feathers I dont seem to nick myself much with it.
Probably the only thing about it that I dont absolutely love is the handle. Mine came with the radio knob handle, which is absolutely beautiful but the bottom half of the handle is smooth, with no knurling and it can be a bit slippery when you hands are wet. Ive got a RR Germany 37 with a Bulldog handle that Im probably going to swap out. I probably would have gotten the barberpole handle with my Wunderbar instead of the radio knob but they were sold out of them at the time. No worries though, if thats my biggest gripe with this razor, I cant complain.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I chose the Radio Knob for mine, too. I have a Bulldog and may try it. I also have the HD handle. I thought I might have some trouble with that smooth area, but it wasn't a thing. Once Stork gets cranked up again I'll think about picking up a Taipan handle for it.

I think it's pretty aggressive, but more important it clamps the blade with no mercy and no room for chatter.

O.H.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I recently picked up a RR Wunderbar and its a wonderful razor. The blade sits in it perfectly every time and with a Feather blade in it, the razor doesnt even feel like its cutting but the hair just melts off.
It is interesting that many seem to think that its a pretty aggressive razor but I find it to be quite mild, with minimal blade feel and even with Feathers I dont seem to nick myself much with it.
Probably the only thing about it that I dont absolutely love is the handle. Mine came with the radio knob handle, which is absolutely beautiful but the bottom half of the handle is smooth, with no knurling and it can be a bit slippery when you hands are wet. Ive got a RR Germany 37 with a Bulldog handle that Im probably going to swap out. I probably would have gotten the barberpole handle with my Wunderbar instead of the radio knob but they were sold out of them at the time. No worries though, if thats my biggest gripe with this razor, I cant complain.
Congratulations, it's a beautiful razor and an efficient cutter. As one of the "many (who) seem to think its a pretty aggressive razor", I envy those who find it mild but efficient. I just need to work on my technique, I guess. Keep us posted on how the new handle works for you.

Congratulations, it's a beautiful razor and an efficient cutter. As one of the "many (who) seem to think its a pretty aggressive razor", I envy those who find it mild but efficient. I just need to work on my technique, I guess. Keep us posted on how the new handle works for you.
I truly do believe that how aggressive a razor is or isnt is a very subjective matter. Theres many razors that have a lot of blade exposure but minimal blade gap and are considered to be quite aggressive, theres also many razors out there that have minimal blade exposure but a lot of blade gap and are also considered to be quite aggressive.
I will say that the first time I used the Wunderbar, I got a bit overconfident with it when I was almost done and nicked my neck quite badly. I would say though that if this razor is going to bite you, it will be with Feathers. Ive got some Derby Extras and some King C Gillette blades that Im looking forward to trying in this razor.

Top Bottom