What's new

The Worst Shave ...

... was this morning, courtesy of what I suspect are Personna injector blades. When I loaded one in my Type L clone yesterday, I noticed it looked different from the Chick blades. The band at the edge didn't seem as polished. Didn't think much more about it.

Today, I lathered with Gillette Foamy (which has become my standard for new razors and blades, as well as my work-day shaving cream), and shaved. Or try to. It felt different. No, it didn't pull and no, there was no irritation. But it left behind beard. I could hear it cut, but it still left beard behind. One pass over the same spot, then two, then three, then four, then five. By now, I'd went over half my face, and most of the beard was still there.

I loaded a Chick blade. As before, it tried to slip under the blade, but I corrected it and managed to push out the suspected Personna (and in a "Hold my beer" moment, used the blade I'd pushed out to push the Chick further into the razor with the loader still in place - it actually worked, but isn't recommended - relathered that half of my face, and tried again.

The shave was much better. The Chick blade mowed down beard as I'd come to expect, with no dragging or irritation.

I inspected the suspected Personna. The blade might be thicker, but I can't tell by eyeballing it. There is slightly less flex. I resolved to try them again one day in my adjustable, and set them aside.

Yesterday, I'd done some searching based on a half-remembered bit of info about electron microscopes. Sure enough, I found the same injector blades at a laboratory supply house, which said they were PTFE coated. That's good, and, since they were used for this sort of work, figured they'd be plenty sharp. I assume they are, but this one wasn't sharp enough to shave.

If the blade is a tad thicker, it might have something to do with this morning's shave, since this razor is on the mild side. That's why I want to try them in the adjustable. But they aren't going into this Type L clone again.

Personna blades are so so at best, in my opinion. I definitely recommend trying the schick B20 injector blades.
+1. The Schick B-20 Proline blades for injectors are fantastic. No key, so you have to dispense them from their magazine then load them into a used injector magazine (I kept a spare Chick container for this purpose) then load into the injector. They are very sharp blades which makes them very smooth for me. I used the Prolines in my AC razors too, to very good effect. Availability is somewhat of an issue, but a few vendors carry them that will ship to the US for a reasonable cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Personna blades are so so at best, in my opinion. I definitely recommend trying the schick B20 injector blades.
+2

When I first started using Injectors, all I had were Personna's - Mediocre at best.

Have to agree with Joel @Johnnynroy and @polishaver , Proline B-20's totaly transform Injectors.

Even though I've moved on to straights I still use my Injectors from time to time.
With a twin blade I get a very smooth shave, with a B-20 I get the closest shaves.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You can always get a bum blade, or whack one out when loading. If so, just swap it out. I use both Schick and Personna blades.

Schick: Sharper when new, lasts me about a month
Personna: Smooth right out of the gate, generally lasts me two weeks

+1 to tha vipe! In a wide open injector, I find the Personnass to be really smooth, but duds are more common than in Chicks.

Damn you enablers :001_005: Ok need to try the Schick B-20. Best place to get these shipped to Canada? Currently using Personna via Connaught.

Damn you enablers :001_005: Ok need to try the Schick B-20. Best place to get these shipped to Canada? Currently using Personna via Connaught.
Connaught as suggested above, or I have used Rakuten Global, search for
"Chic babies B-20", I have used this seller several times with good results. (Sorry for the font!)

Thanks for the info gents.
Will have to wait for next bigger order to justify shipping either from Connaught or Rakuten. Currently have about 5 boxes of Personna/Pella injector blades and one box of Feather Professional for a CJB Kamisori style shavette remaining.

Top Bottom