What's new

The WORST Cologne You've Owned / Smelled?

Yagtagan is still listed on and available from the Caron website. There is a lot of discussion on basenotes about rumors of it being discontinued and references to its price going up quite a bit and stock from various sources drying up completely. So I have no idea what is really going on. Sorry to pass on rumors that may or may not be useful.

Hello Sir,

OK, I've been spending money like a "Drunker Sailor" on Razors and Fragrances of late. Today, I just received a VERY hard to find (hopefully not discontinued) Fragrance that is one of my most worn/favorite Colognes. Oooh, I paid dearly for this bottle to be sure (more than DOUBLE the price of two years ago) for this same Cologne. Well Sir, I just could NOT take the chance that either "A" : it has been discontinued or "B": problems with the Fragrance House resulting in distribution problems. In the past, I have made the mistake of NOT buying "back up" of (favorite) Fragrances when I had the chance (at a reduced cost no less). Well, the Hell with it! I now HAVE my "back bottle". As you can see in this photograph, my first bottle is only half full. In the future, I will use this Fragrance sparingly/special occasions only. Oooh, this will be the last (NEW) bottle of Fragrance I order for awhile.
1584383923015.png

I've been spending money like a "Drunker Sailor" on Razors and Fragrances of late.
If you are like me, after awhile your interest in and spending on new razors will subside. For me because I found what I was happy with--not necessarily just one razor--and have not felt any great continuing pull to get more. The desire for new frags seems come and go though. I am always afraid of perfume houses manipulating demand for scents by making them harder to get or discontinuing them and then bringing them back, and there is always the problem of reformulation. I do not think of Caron as much doing the former. And whatever you ended up paying, at least the bottle is 125 ml. Hopefully your supply should last you a while. I think you will always be able to resell it, if you wanted. Hold onto the box!

Well this is going to sound strange. I have not worn cologne since I was a teenager (Canoe). I believe that men should not compete with women in a room when it comes to fragrance so ever since I started dating I only used after shaves. That is not the strange part. This is- in the world of A/S there is only one that I can't stand and it has been that way for 40 years: Old Spice. I don't like the way it smells in the bottle, I don't like the way it smells on somebody, and there is even a woman's perfume that smells like it (don't know what it is but a young woman on my bus uses it and I hate it when she sits next to me). I have tried to like it over the years but it seems to hate me as much as I hate it.

No one in my family ever wore it so its not like I associate it with anything.

Anybody else?

If you are like me, after awhile your interest in and spending on new razors will subside. For me because I found what I was happy with--not necessarily just one razor--and have not felt any great continuing pull to get more. The desire for new frags seems come and go though. I am always afraid of perfume houses manipulating demand for scents by making them harder to get or discontinuing them and then bringing them back, and there is always the problem of reformulation. I do not think of Caron as much doing the former. And whatever you ended up paying, at least the bottle is 125 ml. Hopefully your supply should last you a while. I think you will always be able to resell it, if you wanted. Hold onto the box!

Hi Rob, I still continue to purchase Razors (found in the Wild) however, you are correct.....I've slooowed down on purchasing just any Razors. I joined B&B (and started collecting Razors) a YEAR ago this month! My first Razor was a lucky find. At the time, I had no idea (other than being a vintage Gillette) what I had bought for my EIGHT dollars. I later discovered that my purchase was a VERY nice condition (first year production) FATBOY! Arrrrrr, that's when R.A.D. started to kick in. Now, a year later, I have TWO HUNDRED Razors! I can now afford to be MUCH more selective and only buy if condition is better than good (in most cases) and the price is not too expensive. I will more than likely either (in the future) sell and/or swap a large amount of these Razors. Heck, I have at least 30 of my favorites in my Bathroom that I use/rotate. Another forty or so that are (more or less) my "Safe Queens". No doubt, I have a problem! And....now that I'm seriously back into my "Fragrance Hobby" (Basenotes member since 2003) I'm really out of control. I MUST "get a grip". Collecting Razors is cheap compared to collecting Fragrances. Ugggh.
At any rate, I am sooooo happy to have a NIB bottle of "YATAGAN!" I'll make this one last several years!

Ooh, I found this today at T.J.Maxx for sixteen dollars!
1584405006322.png

SixCats!

I suppose Old Spice now smells a bit dated to me, and the current US version does not smell as good to me as vintage versions. However, I think of Old Spice as having lots of jasmine in it and I really like jasmine. That may be the note that is putting you off. I find jasmine very soothing, gender neutral, and versitile. Even if I did not like jasmine so much, I think that Old Spice would seen generally innocuous to me.

I do not think that anyone should be competing when it comes to frangrance in a room. If a woman is leaving an intense trail of sillage, no matter what the scent, that is likely to be offputting to me. I certainly hope I am not doing anything like that.

Now, a year later, I have TWO HUNDRED Razors!
Well, that establishes that you are not like me, right there! I have maybe seven DEs, maybe 12 straights, and one shavette! I have maybe one of each in rotation over a period of years. For that matter, I have maybe ten decent shaving brushes. For some reason I seem to switch off brushes every few months. Cheap, expensive, boar or badger, may preference at any given time does not seem to have any rhyme or reason.

I do not recognize that bottle shape for Boucheron. Great house.

Hi Rob, I still continue to purchase Razors (found in the Wild) however, you are correct.....I've slooowed down on purchasing just any Razors. I joined B&B (and started collecting Razors) a YEAR ago this month! My first Razor was a lucky find. At the time, I had no idea (other than being a vintage Gillette) what I had bought for my EIGHT dollars. I later discovered that my purchase was a VERY nice condition (first year production) FATBOY! Arrrrrr, that's when R.A.D. started to kick in. Now, a year later, I have TWO HUNDRED Razors! I can now afford to be MUCH more selective and only buy if condition is better than good (in most cases) and the price is not too expensive. I will more than likely either (in the future) sell and/or swap a large amount of these Razors. Heck, I have at least 30 of my favorites in my Bathroom that I use/rotate. Another forty or so that are (more or less) my "Safe Queens". No doubt, I have a problem! And....now that I'm seriously back into my "Fragrance Hobby" (Basenotes member since 2003) I'm really out of control. I MUST "get a grip". Collecting Razors is cheap compared to collecting Fragrances. Ugggh.
At any rate, I am sooooo happy to have a NIB bottle of "YATAGAN!" I'll make this one last several years!

Ooh, I found this today at T.J.Maxx for sixteen dollars! View attachment 1075115

SixCats!
Hey Sixcats!. I hope you haven't opened that Boucheron box yet. I think that one is for women, and it is a refill. The mens version should say "pour homme" on it. If you haven't opened it, I would go back to TJMaxx and have them verify what it is. I might be wrong, but Boucheron mens fragrances come in a box that is more square than rectangular.

Last edited:
Hi KUfan, you are exactly correct. I realize that this is considered a Woman's Boucheron EdP (refill). Truthfully, I don't really care. I suspect (hoping) it will smell (at least somewhat) like my Boucheron Pour Homme. Perhaps I'm wrong assuming that it will be close to the Male version, still, I don't care ESPECIALLY considering this refill often sells for around forty-fifty (or more) dollars for that 2.5 oz. refill bottle. Besides, in addition to my good size collection of Male Colognes, I have worn (so called) Woman Fragrance over many years as many of the woman fragrances are in fact (what I would consider) quite Manly and not a problem for a Man to wear. Fragrances such as BANDIT, McQueen, NORELL, Bal a Versailles, Arpege, Guerlain Mitsouko, Magie, Rochas "Femme", Cabochard, YSL, Quadrill, Tabu, Shalimar (and many many others) are easy for me to pull off. I usually find (most) of these Woman Perfumes at "Thrift Shops/Yard Sales/Flea Markets, etc. for Pennies on the dollar.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Tabac EDT. I love Tabac but the EDT is awful and smells nothing like other Tabac products. A hugely disappointing travesty which should be withdrawn from sale; I gave it to the thrift shop.

Hi KUfan, you are exactly correct. I realize that this is considered a Woman's Boucheron EdP (refill). Truthfully, I don't really care. I suspect (hoping) it will smell (at least somewhat) like my Boucheron Pour Homme. Perhaps I'm wrong assuming that it will be close to the Male version, still, I don't care ESPECIALLY considering this refill often sells for around forty-fifty (or more) dollars for that 2.5 oz. refill bottle. Besides, in addition to my good size collection of Male Colognes, I have worn (so called) Woman Fragrance over many years as many of the woman fragrances are in fact (what I would consider) quite Manly and not a problem for a Man to wear. Fragrances such as BANDIT, McQueen, NORELL, Bal a Versailles, Arpege, Guerlain Mitsouko, Magie, Rochas "Femme", Cabochard, YSL, Quadrill, Tabu, Shalimar (and many many others) are easy for me to pull off. I usually find (most) of these Woman Perfumes at "Thrift Shops/Yard Sales/Flea Markets, etc. for Pennies on the dollar.
There are many women's fragrances a man can wear, and after checking Fragrantica last night, many reviewers of Boucheron Parfum consider it unisex. Since Boucheron scents are mostly oriental, that makes sense. My wife has some oriental scents that smell unisex, namely Norell, Tabu, Shalimar, Ciara and Lancomme La Vie Est Belle (Wow!), that I have thought of trying. Perhaps I will for the heck of it, see/smell how it goes. Hope you find the Boucheron to your liking. If it is anything like Boucheron PH and Jaipur PH, you have done well. Those two are exquisite.

There are many women's fragrances a man can wear, and after checking Fragrantica last night, many reviewers of Boucheron Parfum consider it unisex. Since Boucheron scents are mostly oriental, that makes sense. My wife has some oriental scents that smell unisex, namely Norell, Tabu, Shalimar, Ciara and Lancomme La Vie Est Belle (Wow!), that I have thought of trying. Perhaps I will for the heck of it, see/smell how it goes. Hope you find the Boucheron to your liking. If it is anything like Boucheron PH and Jaipur PH, you have done well. Those two are exquisite.
Just leave her underwear and shoes alone! ;)

That would be "Lui" by the brand Mazzolari.
I tried it on, and immediately went to the bathroom to wash it off.
Which wasn't easy.

Afterwards I read a review about it, and the sentence that made me laugh out loud was the following one:
"“Jesus, Dad”, gasps my daughter, hoarsely. “You smell like a bum’s nut-sack,” adding, perhaps superfluously: “and not in a good way.” "

Says it all really.
I love Mazzolari Lui, I would wear it everyday as a signature scent.

The worst scent would be Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger. To me it smells like it's gone rotten. A close second would be RazoRock's Tuscan Oud. I find it extremely sweet and very cloying to the point where I get a headache.

Top Bottom