What's new

The worst cologne you ever tried:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I thought it was interesting to see so many on your worst list that were also favorites for other people. Comparing the "best 3" post and suggestions on this post that people really liked some of the "worst" (not all 19 pages) I came up with this Loved/Hated List:

Pierre Cardin
Clubman
Grey Flannel (but a lot of hating on this one)
Joop (also lots of hating)
Florida Water
Rive Gauche
Aqua Di Gio
Tabac
Knize Ten
Old Spice
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
Dolce & Gabbana
Creed Cuir de Russie
Kouros
Z-14

Some of this discrepancy has to be different noses - we like what we like. But I suspect a good part of it is how the juice reacts to our skin/metabolism. I remember a couple of years back reading quite a few posts about how wonderful Eucris (GFT) was. People were getting the shave cream, cologne, socks - you name it. I purchased a sample (thank heavens) and on me it reeked of death.

So don't throw out the stuff you hate - someone will like it.

Some of this discrepancy has to be different noses - we like what we like. But I suspect a good part of it is how the juice reacts to our skin/metabolism....So don't throw out the stuff you hate - someone will like it.

I think age changes our reaction to certain scents. I wouldn't expect men in their 20's or 30's to think Tabac is great, but when you're in your 40's or 50's, I think there's more of an appreciation for the classic scents. Back in the late 1970's, 1980's and early '90's. when I was walking around smelling of Aramis, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne and Lagerfeld Photo. I'm not sure I would have been the big fan of Tabac that i am now. The same goes for my renewed enjoyment of all versions of Clubman, Old Spice and Brut, and I've never stopped enjoying Azzaro Pour Homme (and may I add, Chanel Pour Homme). I'm also waiting for a nice sale on a bottle of Aramis.

I'm going to amend your last comment to read: So don't throw out the stuff you hate - someday you might like it!

Good stuff! I can remember thinking I had to have the "popular " cologne in high school and college. I relegated the classics in Dad's closet to old men as well. I rarely had expensive cologne and often had to use the cheaper ones anyhow.

I'm not sure when I outgrew the need to have what was in at the time, but I love wearing the classics now, maybe my late 20's?...

I think people smell themselves really differently than others smell them.

Very interesting thread.

Aramis and Pascha aftershave. How can anyone wear these?

But then ... Aqua Di Gio and many like it go sour on my skin, smelling something like urine. Blind buys are now out of the question.

But then ... Aqua Di Gio and many like it go sour on my skin, smelling something like urine. Blind buys are now out of the question.

I enjoy Aramis aftershave. The jasmine and citrus sparkle upfront, and the leather with some residual sparkle it turns into. The slight menthol cooling is also very nice.

We all have different noses. I tend to like many of the things that fall into the leather, chypre, and aromatic fougere categories. Scents are a very individual thing.

I'm not sure about Pascha, but I've always liked Aramis when I wore it in the late 1970's. I haven't tried it in decades but I'm thinking about getting a bottle. Would you happen to be under 35 years of age?

I enjoy Aramis aftershave. The jasmine and citrus sparkle upfront, and the leather with some residual sparkle it turns into. The slight menthol cooling is also very nice.

I agree. It's a great scent. As you stated, I think scents can be a individual thing, but I think the age of the male is more of a factor.

I agree. It's a great scent. As you stated, I think scents can be a individual thing, but I think the age of the male is more of a factor.

The fact that Aramis is still being made and purchased after all these years is proof that a lot of guys agree with you. I don't think age is a factor, though. I'm old and hate it. A very fecal smell on my skin/to my nose.

Top Bottom